PDA

View Full Version : maytag older dishwasher door gasket logic

Warren Lake
04-28-2021, 1:32 PM
Need some logic on replacing this dishwasher door gasket on my parents Dishwasher. Took the bottom off and watched for a leak and 98 percent sure its the door gasket. Machine is older Maytag black face DWU92G0ABX. Replacement gasket is WP902894 . Have the new gasket and checked with three places all say it is the correct gasket.

When I took the old one out there was a folded section that went forward on both the left and right. I dont know the history and guessing someone replaced it already and think the left forward extension was wrong.

This is my old machine sitting out back to go to the dump and its almost the same machine and original gasket. It only extended forward on the right. Excuse the gross photo glad it was here for a reference. There is a channel on the right the gasket sits in.

Below are the three gaskets,

1 was in my families machine,
2 was in my machine,
3 is the correct so everyone says new replacement gasket. Note it is 2" shorter than what came out of my my machine. Had it just been made longer and I cut it to length I would not have questioned this

Logic says this is too short, am I supposed to stretch it as i go? what about the gasket in the 1" forward channel? no answers from any of the parts suppliers and Whirlpool who own Maytag now no help either.

Is the 1" forward section on the right only to give a bit of cushion on closing the door or does it have anything to do with water control. I did sort of pull the gasket up in the track a bit and run it again and it almost stopped the water leakage so the gasket is the issue. Can I just feed the gasket and leave the front 1" out if its only for some door closing resistance?

thanks

w

Thomas McCurnin
04-28-2021, 2:16 PM
Having watch the Maytag man install such a gasket, he used a heat gun, quite liberally, to heat the gasket, stretch it, and get it place. It took him about 30 minutes with that heat gun working on it section by section in 3" sections.

I can't comment on which gasket is best.

Warren Lake
04-29-2021, 2:52 PM
yeah not sure about stretching as was told not to them told them its too short. No one comments on the right hand side 1" extension in the channel. Whirlpool didnt help and ive sent it to two techs one could not open the photos other one doesnt comment. Simple thing no info.