PDA

View Full Version : Getting 14" bandsaw - does it make sense to keep 9" benchtop for narrow blade ?

Michael Jasper
04-27-2021, 10:27 PM
Hi - I'd appreciate some perspective from y'all. I currently have a 9" Grizzly benchtop bandsaw, which I'm hoping to upgrade to a Laguna 1412 when they're back in stock. I find that changing blades on the current one is enough of an inconvenience that I tend not to do it unless I really really have to - so I don't take as much advantage as I might of the different options. (I tend to change my table saw blade more frequently - but that doesn't require re-adjusting guides, tension and tracking.) I thought about keeping the 9" with the narrowest blade installed so I could use it for finer work and leave the new one with a resaw blade. My shop is quite small though so keeping the second machine on a stand is not possible. I'd have to find a place to keep it and pull it up on the bench to use. Even finding a place for that will take some work.

Is it silly to keep the small one for this purpose? How quickly can folks change the blade on something like the 1412? I'm sure performance on the Laguna will be much superior so maybe it doesn't make sense to keep the Grizzly at all.

Another option is to get a scroll saw. I could keep that under my bench and pull it out pretty easily for when I need to do curves - although I realize a scroll saw is not exactly the equivalent of a bandsaw with a narrow blade.

Mostly I'm looking for a reality check here - any thoughts?

Thanks!

Paul F Franklin
04-27-2021, 10:37 PM
IMO, it would be very nice to have a second bandsaw with a narrow blade. IIWM, I'd find a way to keep it. If you find you don't use it much after a while, you can always sell it later.

ChrisA Edwards
04-27-2021, 10:41 PM
I have a Laguna 1412 as my only bandsaw. I've been thinking of getting a smaller one just to have one with a thinner blade.

So I would keep it.

Jay Norton
04-27-2021, 11:08 PM
I have a 10” and a 14” and use them as you describe. I find it very useful to have both.
I resaw and do some rough ripping on my 14”. I use the 10” almost every time I am in the shop.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-27-2021, 11:18 PM
I have a 16" bandsaw and have been contemplating a smaller one to go with it. I keep a resaw blade on the 16" and it would be nice to be able to cut tighter curves without changing the blade.

Larry Frank
04-28-2021, 7:34 AM
I have a 16" and a 10" bandsaw and still use the smaller one a lot.

Tom M King
04-28-2021, 8:08 AM
Wouldn't want to be without either of the two little 10" ones. The 14" is my least used bandsaw.

Dave Sabo
04-28-2021, 8:49 AM
If you have the space, why not ?

Sam Force
04-28-2021, 10:18 AM
I have a 17, 14 and a 10 inch BS they all get used, each has their own purpose

Kyle Iwamoto
04-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Ditto. I have a 10" and 2 "big" ones. I use the little one a lot.
About the scroll saw. I only use it for very tiny curves and delicate small stuff. Slow, blades break often, lots of issues..... It has it's place also.

Ira Matheny
04-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Absolutely, keep both. 9'' is great with the 5/16"-3/8" blade. 14 " with the 1/2"-3/4"
I have three. 10", 14" & 18". All are dedicated to different tasks. Seldom change blades.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-28-2021, 11:34 AM
No surprise in these responses!

Wes Grass
04-28-2021, 11:47 AM
I've got a 24". The table is low, so it's back breaking bending over to see the work for contour cutting. Never mind swapping blades, adjusting guides. So a smaller saw is on my list.

The 10" was my first choice, but realistically I'd put it on a stand rather than stash it under a bench and drag it out when I need it. So in my case, moving up to a 14" is just a (rather large) chunk of change, no penalty on space. More capacity, more stable most likely, better blade life ... I can make up all kinds of excuses ...

A scroll saw offers the advantage of threading the blade through a hole. Tough to do with a bandsaw unless you've got a blade welder. Not uncommon on a metal cutting saw, which is somewhere down the list as well. Probably below a real cutoff saw, surface grinder, Sunnen hone ... Maybe even behind a 2nd machining center.

Alex Zeller
04-28-2021, 12:27 PM
Space would be the only reason I could see to get rid of it. Maybe money but I can't see a 9" Grizzly being worth much so if you have the space then keep it (as others have said). You can always sell it later if you find that you only need one. I have a 19" Grizzly but I'm waffling on adding a scroll saw or a small (less than 14") bandsaw for doing tight corners. My 19" usually has a 1/2" blade in it and occasionally a resaw blade but like most, I'm lazy when it comes to changing blades. Swapping between the 1/2" and 1" blades requires very little changes but I have to believe that going to something as small as a 1/4" blade (or smaller) would require more time adjusting the saw.

roger wiegand
04-28-2021, 1:06 PM
If it's paid for then space is the only concern. I just acquired a MM20 but am finding it very convenient to have my Delta14" saw with a skinny blade on it in addition to the big resaw blade on the MiniMax. Not having to change blades is a pleasure.

Michael Jasper
04-28-2021, 2:28 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. I actually expected people to say "ditch the small one, quality difference will be night and day, etc". Didn't realize how common it was to have more than one.
I've been strategizing on finding ways to keep them both setup. Have to do some major re-organizing.
Thanks again.

michael langman
04-28-2021, 3:05 PM
You will like having the 9" saw in the future Michael.
I bought a used 9" delta band saw with a few other wood shop machines and later bought a used 14" delta band saw.
I kept the 9" saw and use it more then the 14" saw with a 1/4" blade. It is small enough to set under a bench when not in use, but tends to stay as it as I am not that crowded yet.

Bruce Page
04-28-2021, 3:50 PM
Yeah, hold on to the 9”. I sold my 14” when I bought my MM16 and quickly regretted it. I bought the 10” Rikon bench top soon after. I use the Rikon more often than the MM.

Wes Grass
04-28-2021, 6:07 PM
I was doing a bit of laminate flooring here awhile back. Cutting it to width by scoring with a utility knife and snapping it, notching with a handsaw with a step stool as a 'saw bench'.

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tempted to drive down to Woodcraft and pick up a 10" Rikon ...

Mike Wilkins
04-28-2021, 11:01 PM
I second the suggestion to keep it. As you stated, keep a small blade on the bench top unit and reserve the big machine for big cuts. I have the Rikon bench top machine that has a 1/4" blade on it all the time for the small scroll-type cuts, and a 1 1/4" blade on the Laguna LT18 for the big stuff. I would still love an INCA 3-wheel bandsaw for the in-between stuff if I could find one.

Michael Jasper
04-29-2021, 12:24 AM
Thanks all! I'm convinced. I'm keeping the 9". Somewhere.

Randall J Cox
04-29-2021, 12:24 AM
Yes, keep it! I have an 18" and a 10". Sold an old fully reconditioned (by me) Delta 14" when I got the 18" and later totally regretted it. Bought the old Delta 10' later on. Small blade on 10" and larger on 18", as you would expect. Randy

Mike Henderson
04-29-2021, 12:12 PM
I sold my 14 inch when I got a 20 inch and regret it (except for space problems). I plan to purchase a small bandsaw - smaller than 14 inch - in the future. Changing blades on the 20 inch is a pain. I'd rather leave the resaw blade on the 20 inch and put a small (maybe 3/8 inch) on the small bandsaw.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
04-30-2021, 5:48 AM
Thanks all! I'm convinced. I'm keeping the 9". Somewhere.Flip top carts are the ideal home for tools like this.

Keith Outten
04-30-2021, 10:34 AM
I never have changed the one inch blade on my FB 610. I have the 10" Rikon for tight cuts and it is mounted on a piece of plywood that fits the top of a cheap plastic cart I purchased for the Rikon. The cart cost about 20 bucks and its plenty sturdy for the small band saw. It's easy to push around and can be stored just about anywhere.

Bill Carey
04-30-2021, 11:17 AM
I have a Laguna 1412 as my only bandsaw. I've been thinking of getting a smaller one just to have one with a thinner blade.

So I would keep it.

2nd this. I'm currently shopping for a small one to keep a narrow blade in. I have a 1412 and love it. Changing the blades isn't hard just a PITA.

Stan Calow
04-30-2021, 3:08 PM
I kept a scrollsaw for several years thinking it would be more useful for general woodworking than it turned out to be.

Michael Jasper
05-11-2021, 4:18 PM
Is it worth trying to upgrade the guides on the 9" grizzly? I thought I had seen someone saying they had upgraded with cool blocks - but for the life of me, I can't find replacement guide holders that will hold that kind of block. (That is, replace the bearings with something that can hold a ceramic or synthetic guide block like the cool blocks).
Lots of replacements for larger BS.

Larry Frank
05-11-2021, 7:48 PM
I put the Carter Stabilizer on my 10" Rikon and happy with it.