PDA

View Full Version : A quicky of a Project

steven c newman
04-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Computer Monitor was supposed to fit onto a shelf on my desk...Base of it was a hair too big. To get the Monitor up to where viewing would be a bit better....I had stacked a pile of scraps..
Yeah, yeah,,,ugly as all get out. Decided to replace this mess, with an "Add-on" that went with the desk.....Hauled a 4' plank of Ash 1 x 6 to the shop..
Best section kept was 24" long.....I have a plan for one of the cut-offs...first, I needed to draw a few lines..
Lay out toys..

needed a smaller front porch....also needed to joint one edge...
Figured a jack plane can handle 2'.....Bandsaw to make the cut (yes, done in one "take")...
Lay out and cut a pair of dados.....those two pieces were ripped, jointed, and cut for length....the other cut-off was also ripped...
To match the height of the center pieces, once they were sitting in the dados....the glue and clamps..
Let this mess sit a day....

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
04-26-2021, 10:18 AM
yep, this was to be a quicky project....after sitting overnight....clamps came off ( was downstairs doing the Laundry Detail thing) and a round-over bit was round around....
Just the top edges....underside didn't need any..
But..before the Stain could be brushed on/wiped off....a plane and the spokeshave were used to remove the burn marks left by the bandsaw....and any roughness on the top.
Then a coat of stain was brushed on, and then wiped down. I had also drilled 2 counter-bored screw holes, before the stain...hauled this thing upstairs....moved the pile of scraps out of the way..
Installed with 2 screws...level with the shelf....such that it was....there is also room to park my cell phone in front of the monitor, for when I have it on the charger...

Just a quick, little project....

steven c newman
04-26-2021, 8:13 PM
remember....the single board used for this..was a 1 x 6 x 4' Shelf width being 24" long....handsaw is a Disston D-112, 7ppi crosscut. I had a 1/2 pattern of what I wanted to cut for the top....Curves were drawn using both a LARGE washer, and the Starrett No. 85 compass. Bandsaw seemed determined to burn it's way through the cuts....straight or curved, didn't seem to matter.....

There are a pair of dados.. Done on the tablesaw. Cleaned up with a sharp chisel. Glue up began with the two in the dados...
Once these 2 boards were about the same size. Had to keep the shelf height as 3". To match the shelf it will be attached to. Glue and clamps..
Then 2 more boards from the cut-offs....were ripped for width, so they will match the height of the center two boards...Then cut for length...coming up about an inch short of the ends , to allow for shelf brackets on the existing shelf....Then more glue and clamps..
A regular "Flash Mob" of clamps....let this mess sit overnight...

Next day, after those clamps came off....beltsander to try and remove most of the Burnt Ash.....Then run the router around....more sanding...and finally the spokeshave.....had a few ridges on the top...No. 9 smooth plane removed those....It also leveled the areas at the back of the dados....

3/8" Forstner bit to counter bore....then a drill bit for the pilot hole. Add a coat of stain...wipe that down.

Was just a quick little project, nothing real fancy. Monitor now sits at eye-level to me.....On to the next Project! ( whatever THAT may be...)

Thanks for looking in ( no baselines, nor dovetails were bruised in this Project)

Stew Denton
04-28-2021, 10:39 PM
Steven,

I always like your glue ups, as always, no shortage of clamps.

My problem with glue ups, and my projects, when I get time to actually do one that is, are normally quite a bit simpler than the ones you normally do, seems that all to often I need more hands than I have. That is when getting things lined up and clamps on it.

At any rate, a simple project, perhaps, but nicely done, and a very practical solution to problem. Good job.

Stew