PDA

View Full Version : Where to get decent hardware?

Rob Luter
04-25-2021, 3:48 PM
Greetings all -

I'm putting together some hinged boxes and plant to make a few more. Is there a source anywhere for decent hinges and such? It seems all I can find is imprecise hobby shop junk with thin plated leafs and tons of slop or Brusso (who I love, but the cost!!)

Is there anything in between? I can't be dropping $40 on a set of hinges.

Paul F Franklin
04-25-2021, 3:51 PM
Well, there's Horton Brasses....but they are in the Brusso price ballpark too. I've used some of the lower priced options from Lee Valley and found them decent.

Bill Carey
04-25-2021, 4:06 PM
You could check out Small Box Hardware, and D. Lawless Hardware, and Van Dykes Restorers. But I feel your pain - I've never found anything in the middle, and I just spent 40 bucks for 2 hinges for a wedding box I'm making. More than the walnut and cherry in it. Ouch - certainly can't be a regular source for me.

Frederick Skelly
04-25-2021, 4:11 PM
I've been happy with the hardware I've bought from Lee Valley.

Bill Carey
04-25-2021, 4:14 PM
Rockler has these (https://www.rockler.com/narrow-miniature-solid-brass-hinges-with-non-removable-pin-polished-brass-finish-smallest-to-largest) on sale:

Phil Gaudio
04-25-2021, 5:21 PM
Can't go wrong with Brusso.

Alex Zeller
04-25-2021, 8:23 PM
Good luck. Once you move beyond hinges and start to look for hardware for something like a steamer trunk most of the stuff is poorly plated steel which they usually call gold plated. I have bought quadrant hinges for small boxes from these guys (https://craft-inc.com/). They are solid brass and not so thin that they feel like a toy. The screws were a little on the small size (#2) so I counter sunk the holes a little bigger (confirming that the hinges are brass) and used #3 brass screws.

Mike Henderson
04-25-2021, 8:59 PM
The problem is that what really works well on a box is a stop hinge and Brusso makes the best. If you don't mind having a small chain on one side, you can use almost any cheap hinge.

I've been using Brusso, even though they're expensive. I tried some inexpensive stop hinges from Rockler but they made the box look cheap.

Mike

Jamie Buxton
04-25-2021, 11:35 PM
Woodcraft offers stop hinges which aren't bad. They're not Brusso quality, but they'd be $6 per box instead of $40. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/small-piano-hinge-brass-plated-96mm-x-7mm Woodcraft has them in other lengths.

A tip... On piano hinges, the leaf material is thin enough that the cone of a flat head screw hits wood before the screw snugs up against the wood. Countersink your pilot holes into the wood just a bit.

Keye Jones
04-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Horton Brass. It has been a while but the last time I bought Horton Brass it was cheater than the big box stores. They are a really great company, small and family owned.

roger wiegand
04-26-2021, 1:11 PM
Ball & Ball makes some lovely stuff as well. I've used Horton a lot. Nothing worse than a beautifully made piece with nasty or kitchen cabinet hardware.

Jim Barstow
04-27-2021, 10:52 AM
With the amount of labor I put into a box spending $30-40 for hinges seems worth it. It would be a shame to have a beautiful, handmade box and not use the best hinges.

Rob Luter
04-27-2021, 12:27 PM
With the amount of labor I put into a box spending $30-40 for hinges seems worth it. It would be a shame to have a beautiful, handmade box and not use the best hinges.

I generally agree, unless it's a box made for pure utility. Second tier hardware is OK for those.