PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
01-09-2006, 8:53 AM
Good Morning and yes....another weekend has come and gone. Ya know, one of these days I gonna hafta change that line to something entirely new just to keep everyone on their toes. ;)

Been working a LOT at work for the past several weeks, and I KNOW you don't wanna hear about that now do ya.!!

I posted some of my most recent turnings <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29032">here</a> and <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29031"> here.</A> All three items were gift for them LOML.!!! She's a GREAT woman, wife, and mother.

Now shop time this weekend. I'm kinda relaxing when and where I can due to the current workloads that we're going through. Church on Sunday and family time Sunday night. Back to work today for me.

OH!!!! I did learn something this weekend. As some of you know, I'm a big supporter of Shellac and have posted things "about" Shellac from time to time to include it's many uses in the common world market. Well, the LOML was trying to get her hair sprayed with...what else...hairspray and she ran out. I looked up from my home office desk and said, "hey, I can get you some more out of the shop because I belive I have some blonde Shellac already mixed up and Shellac is the sticky part of hairspray....want me to get you some?" :rolleyes:
Well, if looks could honestly kill? I'd be writing this to all of you from my grave this morning.:eek:

Lesson Learned? Don't EVER offer your LOYL any shellac to use for hairspray. She don't take too kindly to the offer. D.A.M.H.I.K.T.!!!!!!:o

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 9:33 AM
Well...I used some shellac this weekend. Really. I took a couple hours on Saturday and make two beds. Start to finish, literally. Oh, ok...they were only big enough to accommodate 12" tall people, but... :) Our ever-growing Barbie and pseudo-Barbie collection is requiring a lot of sleeping space these days, so I cobbled a couple of double beds out of plywood scraps embellished with walnut and white oak and two coats of orange shellac out of a can. "Contemporary" style...read: "quick to build". The girls seem to like them. Of course, we have come to the conclusion that we need to buy a few Ken dolls or GI goes as we need a little more, err...less "diversity" in the sleeping arrangements... :o Kids. But at least I got time in the shop actually making something.

I also used my new OneWay wheel balancing setup to tune up my grinder by the lathe. I put a new Norton 3x 100 grit wheel on and it balanced out quite easily. The existing 80 grit wheel just wouldn't cooperate...there must be a diamond or something lurking somewhere inside of it...which explains why it's been such a bad wheel to work with. A new Norton 3x is on the way as a replacement. I have to say that the OneWay balancing system is really worth the $60 investment. The grinder runs SO smooth now and the flanges that stay on the wheels have a lot more precision than the, um...stamped steel flanges that come on the grinders. Smooth. Very smooth. And that makes for a much better sharpening experience.

Sunday was spend enjoying a little time at the Somerset NJ Woodworks show with Robert and Fred...detailed in another thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29087). I didn't find anything I wanted to buy at the show, so once I was at home, I let my fingers do the buying for a few items from Tools for Working Wood...two additional Ashley Iles chisels, a pair of skew chisels for cleaning out in corners and the Gramercy holdfasts that Robert told me about...I had not acquired any holdfasts for my bench yet and these looked like just the ticket. And they are designed to use the 3/4 dog holes already in the bench.

Pics

The completed beds. 1/2" plywood scraps with black walnut and white oak, respectively. Orange shellac finish. They girls will need to make the bedding materials
Transfer of ownership. They seem to be pleased, although it took about 5 hours before there was any kind of "thank you"...
Quick shot of a few items I picked up from Rockler during their holiday sale. A couple band clamps (I've wanted some for awhile), a few of their assembly squares (I'm less enamored about the quality of these things, but they are accurate enough for carcass construction as long as you pay attention to things) and BIG dust pan to replace the 1970's kitchen model I've had in the shop since before I had a shop

Jim Hager
01-09-2006, 9:34 AM
Well, Dennis I did get a good bit of shop time in this weekend. I have started a maple kitchen, a 34 footer with some cabinets 8 feet tall. I did all of the face frames and cut all of the plywood for the box sides and drilled pin holes for the adjustable shelving. I gave my new kreg forman a run for it's money but it won. That is one nice tool to have.

Tyler Howell
01-09-2006, 9:39 AM
Goodmorning and good advice Dennis,
Great weekend, we saw the sun this weekend!!!!
It's been about 2 weeks and it really helped with shop tasks.
Little home remuttling, family time and catching up with old friends.
Milled up some door trim and sharpened some tools for this Neander class that starts Thursday. Looking forward to that.:cool:
Have a good and safe week.

Matt Meiser
01-09-2006, 9:50 AM
Spent most of my shop time this weekend building a cabinet for my finishing equipment and spraying it with Target USL. Everything went well and I just need to install the hardware and put laminate on the top to finish it up. Maybe tonight.

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I had to leave work very early Friday, water leak at the house. Thankfully outside, but on our side of the meter. Played plumber all day. Thought I had it, then after water had been turned on for an hour it started dripping. Revisited it Sat., and made it worse. Finally got it back to a drip about every second.
Sunday showed my little girl at a dog show, didn't do any good. Came home and moved my TS and DP to the shop, and spent a lot of time looking at duct parts and how it needs to run.
Watched War of the World Sunday on DVD. It was OK, but I expected a little more. The little girl stole the show!!!! Jim

David Wilson
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Finally got started on the kayak project. Got a few of the frames made for the strongback.

Andy London
01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Since Christmas I have been working on my annual shop reno/workover, I now have three walls completed and one to go, finished my son's Curly/quilted drawers for his bed and started turning fineals for my daughters bed...need more hours:rolleyes:

Should have the final wall finished next weekend...then the never ending list of organizing things.

Marvin Keys
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
We had a bit of a warm spell this weekend (40 degrees for a high) so I was able to get out and do some woodworking. I started and almost finished a house shaped bookshelf for my daughter. I will post some pictures when it is completed.

Scott Coffelt
01-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, I kept telling myself I really needed to get into the shop. Friday night...did I get into it? Nope, watched "Wedding Crashers" and "Deuce Bigalow European Gigilo"... Both were great.

Saturday, surely I would find some time.... Nope, ran around most of the day and then caught the playoff games.

Yes, Sunday would be the day... well, it started off in the wrong direction as we had a couple of more things to get done that slipped on Saturday. But finally, I was able to get into the shop.

I got some Tormex stuff (woodturner's set) this week from Amazon. Since the add for the Tiger 2000 said the leading products (Tormex) jigs would work I thought I would give her a shot. Well, almost everything fits. Except for the leader wheel, different shaft sizes. I will see if I can rig up something or that item may go for sale.

I also was cutting some things and noticed the air flow was really horrid on the DC. I decided to check for plugs. Well, after dismantling a portion of the ducting to my CMS, I noticed a sizeable amount of cuttoffs wedged into a transition point. I removed all of the debri and re-piped the duct work. I changed the design and now have a little better flow. I will have to complete some modifications to the CMS, but I had planned on doing some chage outs anyways to support and XY table for the morticer.

I also began working on my overhead DC for the table saw. I got the shroud completed and now need to have some minor welding done before I can move on.

I all, for the short time I was in the shop I got much done.

Steve Clardy
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Spent the better part of saturday and sunday getting the garden area in shape. Plowed it up. Then spent considerable time cleaning up the horse pen and surrounding pasture area. Picked up a lot of Horse DUMPLINGS, leftover hay, etc.
Spread all that crap [Lol] onto the garden, then did a heavy tilling with my tractor mounted tiller. 4' tiller sure is NICE!!!

JayStPeter
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Wednesday night I was discussing going to the Baltimore WW show with my wife. She was due on the 10th and was obviously concerned about me being an hour and a half away. Thurday at 4:30 am, she woke me up and at 6:30 Chloe Jean St. Peter was born.
Needless to say, we didn't have to discuss the show anymore.:cool: :D

Jay

Jeff Sudmeier
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
My dad and I delivered our first ever Rental Shed for our business, Badger RentAShed. Our new customer is tickled pink about it, she is going to use it as a craft area.

John Hart
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Did a little bit with Shellac on Friday night but the rest of the weekend was devoted to me and my Chainsaw. Very very sore this morning!!! :o

Travis Porter
01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Worked on a router table cabinet and shop storage. Managed to injure two fingers. One with the clamp on a pocket hole jig, pinched the meat good, the other with a square screwdriver tip driving pocket hole screws. That one hurt the worst and still hurts as I was pushing hard on the drill and my finger didn't provide a lot of resistance. Fortunately, I have had my tetanus shots. Went to woodcraft and spent $150 on drawer slides. At least they were 20 percent off.

Keith Starosta
01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Wednesday night I was discussing going to the Baltimore WW show with my wife. She was due on the 10th and was obviously concerned about me being an hour and a half away. Thurday at 4:30 am, she woke me up and at 6:30 Chloe Jean St. Peter was born.
Needless to say, we didn't have to discuss the show anymore.:cool: :D

Jay

Jay, CONGRATS!!! Here's hoping for continued health for your new little one!!

My weekend consisted of hanging about 30 sheets of drywall in the basement. It was the first big drywall job that I've done, and it was quite an eye-opener! :eek: I hadn't anticipated it going so slowly. I'm sure speed comes with practice, but sheesh......I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought I would. Oh well.....I'll keep plugging on.

Keith

Don Dean
01-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I put together my first table saw and dust filter unit for my first shop. Table saw adjustments were tough but was able to adjust miter slots parallel to blade and fence to within < .001 in. on both. Tilt stops are set right on at 90 & 45 degrees. Over the next several weeks I will be putting my shop together and when finished I will post pics.

Eddie Watkins
01-09-2006, 2:17 PM
I was able to get to my shop and work on an entertainment center a little Friday evening. LOML had me taking down Christmas decorations Saturday and I replaced some satellite TV receivers Sunday with some upgraded units and installed a weather station I got for Christmas.

Scott Coffelt
01-09-2006, 4:26 PM
Worked on a router table cabinet and shop storage. Managed to injure two fingers. One with the clamp on a pocket hole jig, pinched the meat good, the other with a square screwdriver tip driving pocket hole screws. That one hurt the worst and still hurts as I was pushing hard on the drill and my finger didn't provide a lot of resistance. Fortunately, I have had my tetanus shots. Went to woodcraft and spent $150 on drawer slides. At least they were 20 percent off.

I order most of my slides these days from Woodworker's Warehouse, much cheaper in bulk. http://www.wwhardware.com/

JayStPeter
01-09-2006, 5:10 PM
Jay, CONGRATS!!! Here's hoping for continued health for your new little one!!

My weekend consisted of hanging about 30 sheets of drywall in the basement. It was the first big drywall job that I've done, and it was quite an eye-opener! :eek: I hadn't anticipated it going so slowly. I'm sure speed comes with practice, but sheesh......I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought I would. Oh well.....I'll keep plugging on.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

I hate drywall just for that reason. It was the only part of my shop build that I paid someone else to do. It was either all my spare time for another month or pay and be painting the next weekend.

Jay

John Bush
01-09-2006, 5:31 PM
I continued to mill out some pine from old barn beams and I got so focused I forgot to check the DC dust barrel. The cyclone had filled and the cannister filter had filled and the plastic dust bag blew a seam. The DC shed is 5'X7' and had ~2 ft. of sawdust on the floor. What a mess. May need a barrel sensor. Any suggestions?? JCB

Vaughn McMillan
01-09-2006, 5:32 PM
...Thurday at 4:30 am, she woke me up and at 6:30 Chloe Jean St. Peter was born. ...
Bigtime congrats, Jay. That looks like it'd be better than a WW show any day of the week.:)

My weekend was consumed with a lot of things, but very little of it had to do with shop time. I did do a little cleanup and de-kludging in the shop, but did a lot more in the house and storage shed. I gained quite a bit of needed storage space by simply discarding most of the empty boxes we've been saving up. (The old "that's a good box, I'm sure we can use it for something" bit.)

- Vaughn

Thomas Prondzinski
01-10-2006, 7:13 AM
No shop time this weekend worked sat. and sun. 12 hrs both days.got into the shop last night to put together edge guide system with new Porter Cable skill saw and cutting table. Today need to get back to that customer order.

Tom

Tom Drake
01-10-2006, 7:51 AM
Spent the weekend in the shop working on new kichen cabs for LOML. Hope to have them pretty much finished in another week so I can begin installing them.

Pete Harbin
01-10-2006, 8:08 AM
Congrats Jay! Looks like she has two older brothers to help you fend off the boys in about 15 years or so. :D I know I was sure protective of my little sisters.

No woodworking this weekend. I drove to Denver on Saturday to pick up a computer desk from LOML's sister and drove back to Albuquerque on Sunday. It was a long weekend, but worth the little bit of time I got to spend with my nephew and neice. They are really great kids.
Pete

Sam Chambers
01-10-2006, 1:08 PM
Thurday at 4:30 am, she woke me up and at 6:30 Chloe Jean St. Peter was born.Now there's a gloat if I've ever seen one! Congrats, Jay. Looks like you have some great future shop helpers!

Nothing in the way of woodworking last weekend, unless you count drilling a few holes to run wire to a couple of new outlets in the basement. I discovered that the $%^&! electrician who wired the house put all the basement outlets and lights (including the lights in my basement shop) on the same 15 amp circuit! I'll be changing that as soon as I can schedule a visit from my electrician buddy.