PDA

View Full Version : Why are drill presses so expensive?

Michael J Evans
04-23-2021, 2:33 AM
Probably a dumb question, but why the heck are full size drill presses so expensive. I was flipping through either a woodcraft or rockler catalog and noticed the drill presses were just as expensive if not more than the bandsaws, lunch box planers, contractor saws, etc. I would think a bandsaw / table saw has so much more mass and parts, let alone transport costs, and a lunchbox planer wayore moving parts.

Is it just a economy of scale type of thing, way more table saws and bandsaws sold or am I missing something? Drill press has a motor, couple small pulleys, the upright portion and the head, small table. No real huge chunks of ground cast iron, blades or anything like that.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-23-2021, 5:38 AM
They do have a lot of metal in them, and they require a lot of labor and machining. Just a thought.

Jim Matthews
04-23-2021, 7:00 AM
When drill presses first appeared in garage shops and hobby basements, they were an industrial fixture.

Now, it's a relative rarity. Lower supply, methink$.

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2021, 8:25 AM
They don't look expensive to me at all.

In the 1980's they were around $500.

In inflation adjusted dollars they're a fraction of that now.

Same for table saws. In the early 80's a good Sears saw was around $900....................Regards, Rod.

Andrew More
04-23-2021, 9:17 AM
I agree with Rod. You can get a decent full sized 15" drill press from Rigid for $400 from the Home Depot. Maybe it would help if you were to provide brand names, or specific models? I believe Rockler and Woodcraft carry Powermatic, which is expensive because of the brand and quality, and Nova, which is expensive because of the motor and electronics.

Rich Engelhardt
04-23-2021, 9:50 AM
Home depot no longer has the Ridgid drill press.

They carry the Ryobi & Wen junk.

Andrew More
04-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Seems to be out of stock, so maybe it's just a supply chain problem. They still have it listed on their website. I know it was available a month or two ago, I nearly bought one.

Ignoring the issues with the Rigid model, Grizzly has a similar model for $500.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-heavy-duty-floor-drill-press/g7944

Rich Engelhardt
04-23-2021, 10:20 AM
I don't know if it's a regional thing - but - none of the HD stores in my area have had the Ridgid drill press for a couple of years.
I've been on again/off again looking for something to replace my GMC benchtop.

The problem with everything from Grizzly is - - shipping charges.
That looks like a nice tool - but - the shipping charges add $125 to the price.
Every time I consider something from them - the added shipping charges kill the deal.

johnny means
04-23-2021, 11:00 AM
Because they require rather large, well machined parts. Sheet metal and castings are cheap, machining is where the money is at.

glenn bradley
04-23-2021, 11:18 AM
Drill presses are sort of a pet peeve of mine. I do not think they are necessarily over-priced, just under-quality for that price. With few exceptions (and usually a bit of luck) a decent drill press for under $1500 is a rare bird. I've kept using a $300 (new) Delta for a long time since it would cost me 5 times that to get a better unit. So may are out there that should be good. They have all the potential and then fail at a certain feature or level of quality.

Ron Selzer
04-23-2021, 11:32 AM

Same for table saws. In the early 80's a good Sears saw was around $900....................Regards, Rod.

Well said, totally agree
Woodmaster 812 planer, 5hp with accessories was approx 1400 1986, Delta Contractors saw approx 500-600, Jet 6" jointer approx 500?? memory is fading.
Was making 30k a year working lots of overtime to get there.
Ron

Andrew More
04-23-2021, 12:11 PM
I don't know if it's a regional thing - but - none of the HD stores in my area have had the Ridgid drill press for a couple of years.

Also not available in store here either, same with the Ridgid jointer, but it was available for order.

John Schiesser
04-23-2021, 2:02 PM

I bought a Wen drill press and it does the job. I won't buy Ryobi anymore but this drill press has worked fine and there customer service was great when I had an issue even after owning the saw for awhile.

Frederick Skelly
04-23-2021, 3:49 PM

Yeah, I dont see the Ridgid in their online store. Too bad - I have one and like it.

They do have one badged General International for under $700. I dont know anything about them though.

Phil Gaudio
04-23-2021, 4:34 PM
Don't discount the option of bringing back to life some old American iron. Around here (Connecticut) you can pick up an old Delta for a song. Its fun (mostly) refurbishing them. And the performance specs on the refurbished iron are likely to be better than the new stuff coming out of china. Here is a unit I just finished: it runs like a Rolex!
https://i.postimg.cc/B6wP1WNg/IMG-2943.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62npDmk2)

David Kumm
04-23-2021, 5:20 PM
Good quality drill presses need very accurate machining of the quill and spindle assembly and fairly high precision bearings. Quite often the those bearings are angular contact with a set preload. Tight accurate holes need precision components and I agree that is rare to find.

Phil, those look great. you need to rehab a Moore jig Borer. Dave

Phillip Mitchell
04-23-2021, 6:25 PM
A little different level of quality than has been discussed for far, but I just added a excellent condition used Solberga geared head drill press to my stable of tools. It is about the same size as a typical 17-20” belt drive press, but a bit more compact front to back and a good deal heavier, stouter, and machined to a very tight tolerances. A bit overkill for just woodworking, but I do drill metal sometimes and I will never need to upgrade this machine.

I don’t know how much they go for new, but I felt good about the $1k asking price when comparing it to any other offerings on the new market and many used presses that typically look like they’ve been through the ringer.

I wouldn’t toss an old Delta 17-600 out either, but I didn’t come across a nice one that was close enough during the time I was searching for used machines.

Tom M King
04-23-2021, 7:02 PM
I wish this one wasn't so expensive. I've been wanting one for the metal shop, but not bad enough to buy one yet. https://www.ellissaw.com/drill-press-9400/

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/ellis-9400e-drill-press?feeds=shopping&cm_mmc=Google-_-PRODUCTFEED-_-Ellis-_-9400E&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4ImEBhDFARIsAGOTMj8i-zRex1k2hdCECsIRlwC0IMOVXJoXMgxVI_OJEvIcFt7Bne_juv4 aAmGxEALw_wcB

Bob Jones 5443
04-23-2021, 9:00 PM
Drill presses are sort of a pet peeve of mine. I do not think they are necessarily over-priced, just under-quality for that price. With few exceptions (and usually a bit of luck) a decent drill press for under $1500 is a rare bird. I've kept using a $300 (new) Delta for a long time since it would cost me 5 times that to get a better unit. So may are out there that should be good. They have all the potential and then fail at a certain feature or level of quality.

It's my day to be a Throwback. I'm in Glen(n)'s camp: My Delta 17-965 sure wasn't $500 new, more like $295 if I remember correctly (back when Caesar was a corporal). It's dependable, accurate, highly adjustable, and big and powerful enough for anything I've ever thrown at it. And it has a pretty long quill travel. I look at today's price list and both shudder and smile.

Bruce Wrenn
04-23-2021, 9:17 PM
Don't discount the option of bringing back to life some old American iron. Around here (Connecticut) you can pick up an old Delta for a song. Its fun (mostly) refurbishing them. And the performance specs on the refurbished iron are likely to be better than the new stuff coming out of china. Here is a unit I just finished: it runs like a Rolex!
https://i.postimg.cc/B6wP1WNg/IMG-2943.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62npDmk2)Coup[le years back, rescued a Delta like yours from DUMPSTERS. It was in pieces, in a box. The table had not one scratch on it. Added a keyless chuck from Woodcraft off another drill in the shop. Bought (about fifteen years ago) full sized version of your Craftsman from state surplus. Paid less than fifty bucks for it. Only needed a drive belt

Michael J Evans
04-23-2021, 10:04 PM
I agree with Rod. You can get a decent full sized 15" drill press from Rigid for $400 from the Home Depot. Maybe it would help if you were to provide brand names, or specific models? I believe Rockler and Woodcraft carry Powermatic, which is expensive because of the brand and quality, and Nova, which is expensive because of the motor and electronics.

Andrew
I was just looking at the full size models in the magazine which I think we're rikon,powermatic and Nova. I think the cheapest one was 1k

I'm not after any particular model of drill press or really even looking, it was just a observation I made.

My home depot doesn't stock one floor model stationary tool.

Michael J Evans
04-23-2021, 10:05 PM
Because they require rather large, well machined parts. Sheet metal and castings are cheap, machining is where the money is at.

I can see that now 😁

Michael J Evans
04-23-2021, 10:12 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but according to some inflation calculators I just did 500 in 1985 is $1283 in today money. $30k salary in 1985 is 73k in today's money.

Which is about the same money. Item doubled in price and so did the salary that you had at that time.

Michael J Evans
04-23-2021, 10:13 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/B6wP1WNg/IMG-2943.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62npDmk2)

Hi Phil
Excellent restoration!
I've seen various floor standing and bench models with this design ranging from 300-500. Is that a reasonable price for those types of machines in normal old condition?

Phil Gaudio
04-23-2021, 11:48 PM
Thanks! By some amazing coincidence, I just sold the gold DUNLAP last week for $375, so your estimate is correct. Given the time and effort it takes to get them to this stage, in a perfect world, they would sell for 10x that. There is no money to be had in machine refurbishment.

Hi Phil
Excellent restoration!
I've seen various floor standing and bench models with this design ranging from 300-500. Is that a reasonable price for those types of machines in normal old condition?

Bennett Yuro
04-24-2021, 12:59 AM
Those are gorgeous. I hesitate to get into the restoration game as I can see it overtaking the already stupid time suck hobby we all enjoy.

Derek Cohen
04-24-2021, 4:12 AM
I love that look, and think that those are far more attractive than my computerised, multi-function Nova Voyager. A small fraction of the price as well. But, if the money was not an option, which would you have to use?

https://i.postimg.cc/BZk3R6PL/fence1.jpg
Regards from Perth

Derek

John Jardin
04-24-2021, 6:11 AM
Phil,
You may be right that there is no money in machine refurbishment, but you must have gained great satisfaction in that work and you inspired many of us, plus we got a glimpse at Dereks wood storage.
Nice job.

Tom Bender
04-24-2021, 8:31 AM
A drill press can be one of the more valuable machines in the shop and can be a one in a lifetime purchase so the cost is not a big issue.

Tom M King
04-24-2021, 8:34 AM
There is also, always Craigslist. I bought one of my two Powermatic 1150's off CL for $200. It "needs a new motor". When I got home with it, the motor was wired for 240V, but had a 120v plug on it. It works fine now, and with very little fiddling, and lubing, even the Reeves drive works fine.

Carroll Courtney
04-24-2021, 8:55 AM
With what the cost of a new DP is, you could also find a mill for about same price or less in used market. DP's to me is hard to justify buying new for that once awhile need. Like others I have purchase used the older delta/Rockwell DP for about 250.00, have to keep in mind that there's a good chance that the previous owner only used it only few times. Like Tom saying a good brand would be the older PM's I had chance while back to pick up the 1200 for 500.00 but I have a mill that will do the same thing then some.
I might add to this is to search for a DP that is 3phase and put you a VFD on it so don't have to keep changing belts when need to change rpm's

Randall J Cox
04-24-2021, 10:14 AM
I have an old Delta Rockwell 15" floor model with 6" quill travel that I fully restored some years ago. Love it. Paid $220 for it. Actually it was a little complicated to restore and the head castings were very thick and heavy. I know restoring old iron is not for everyone, but don't know how I got along without one for so long, use it all the time. Randy

Bill Dufour
04-24-2021, 11:28 AM
Do not buy a Walker Turner 15" dp to restore. They use 2 custom bearings for the upper pulley. That is the one with the tophat oiler on top of the spindle cover.The WT 20 " is fine and uses normal bearings. 6" quill stroke! To make that DP is why Delta bought out WT. It was sold under the delta by wt name for a while in the early 1950's.
Pretty much any DP factory built with a three phase motor is good quality and a vfd will run it from 120 volts single phase. This gives you variable speed, slow start, power brakes, instant reverse etc.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
04-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Do not buy a Walker Turner 15" dp to restore. They use 2 custom bearings for the upper pulley.Things like this are why I'll seldom - if ever - buy used equipment.
It isn't a good deal - if it sits unfixed in the garage - because either there are no parts available and/or, I have no idea where to even start fixing it.

Michael J Evans
04-24-2021, 8:57 PM
With what the cost of a new DP is, you could also find a mill for about same price or less in used market. DP's to me is hard to justify buying new for that once awhile need. Like others I have purchase used the older delta/Rockwell DP for about 250.00, have to keep in mind that there's a good chance that the previous owner only used it only few times. Like Tom saying a good brand would be the older PM's I had chance while back to pick up the 1200 for 500.00 but I have a mill that will do the same thing then some.
I might add to this is to search for a DP that is 3phase and put you a VFD on it so don't have to keep changing belts when need to change rpm's

That's what I've been semi seeing as well. Theres a Used bench top mill for 400 locally now. Tempting... Sure I could find lots of uses for a milling machine

Michael J Evans
04-24-2021, 9:01 PM
I love that look, and think that those are far more attractive than my computerised, multi-function Nova Voyager. A small fraction of the price as well. But, if the money was not an option, which would you have to use?

https://i.postimg.cc/BZk3R6PL/fence1.jpg
Regards from Perth

Derek

If money was no concern, then the high end brand spanking new Nova drill press or other top brand.
I like restoring tools but not the time it takes. Since I've finally bought a few new tools I can really see the value in having something that is just ready to go. I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time. I finally realized after buying a few new tools, that I'm spending more time woodworking and less time fiddling with things. Unfortunately that usually not my reality due to budget.

Bruce Wrenn
04-24-2021, 9:10 PM
I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time.Can you explain how this works? I'm busier now than before retirement. Not sure how I had time to work. My "to do list" grows longer each day. That's with just the "has to be done," not "I want to do."

Michael J Evans
04-24-2021, 9:12 PM
Can you explain how this works? I'm busier now than before retirement. Not sure how I had time to work. My "to do list" grows longer each day. That's with just the "has to be done," not "I want to do."

LoL
I said ASSUME 😉

Rod Sheridan
04-26-2021, 7:00 AM
Can you explain how this works? I'm busier now than before retirement. Not sure how I had time to work. My "to do list" grows longer each day. That's with just the "has to be done," not "I want to do."

My theory based upon personal experience is’ “what I previously could do all day, now takes me all day to do”.:D

George Yetka
04-26-2021, 8:55 AM
I feel this way about 12" disc sanders, Its something I want but cant justify it

Ron Selzer
04-26-2021, 9:41 AM
My theory based upon personal experience is’ “what I previously could do all day, now takes me all day to do”.:D

Sure can relate to that
Ron

Charles Coolidge
04-26-2021, 10:54 AM
I have the Powermatic PM2820EVS on order. At $2k it's crazy money for a drill press but it offers some innovative woodworking (and metal) features I really like that are not standard on other presses. http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/new-products/pm2820evs-drill-press/

Warren Lake
04-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Old guy retired and said he was busy all the time and wondered how he ever got stuff done when he had a job.

I like buying used. Ive gotten way better machines than the ones I bought new when I started. The last drill press I bought was a Buffalo 18. Up and running in a business that went down. For the most part those machines are fine, its not hobby land, its a shop making a living and stuff has to work. Some machines even have had maintenance records right on them. I think I paid 65.00 for it if it was more it was not much over 100.00. Only neg its three phase. Not an issue and could be a VFD as well which would improve it with dial in speed control. Have to look it up now to see what I paid. Also have a General that I bought new. takes time to find machinery. A bridgeport sold once at an auction for under 200.00 I was not there that day so that was painful to see looking back. Most of them are over 3k used.

Checked and it was 65.00 18 percent buyers premium and 50.00 loading fee. Thats a drag the loading fee but we hand bombed it and it was heavy. Next time moving it took it apart and did it myself with a fridge dolly.

Bill Dufour
04-26-2021, 3:34 PM
If money was no concern, then the high end brand spanking new Nova drill press or other top brand.
I like restoring tools but not the time it takes. Since I've finally bought a few new tools I can really see the value in having something that is just ready to go. I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time. I finally realized after buying a few new tools, that I'm spending more time woodworking and less time fiddling with things. Unfortunately that usually not my reality due to budget.

Looks like the X does not line up with the center line?

Carroll Courtney
04-26-2021, 4:42 PM
I have the Powermatic PM2820EVS on order. At $2k it's crazy money for a drill press but it offers some innovative woodworking (and metal) features I really like that are not standard on other presses. http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/new-products/pm2820evs-drill-press/
That looks like a beast,congrats on awesome looking DP

Mike Rambour
04-27-2021, 12:24 PM
I bought a Chicago Pneumatic press at a garage sale for $20 back in the early 1980's, worked fine all these years but run out was measured in inches, not thousands and it drilled beautiful oblong holes the last few years. I think I caused it by using a sanding drum in it too many times before I got a oscillating drum sander. I was looking at drill presses for the last month and I agree they are expensive (and not in stock but that is another story). I liked the Nova but didn't want all those electronics in my shop, I actually didn't want the SawStop because of its electronics, but I love that saw now. I would have purchased the Powermatic at $2k if they had it in stock, I got the Jet 17" because they had it in stock. I have used it quite a bit in last 2 weeks and quite impressed with the stops, pretty easy to set up and didn't move for over a hundred holes I had to drill, my old press I had those bushings you put on the drill bit to stop it because the stops moved. I understand the Nova being so expensive because of the electronics, but I now don't understand the Powermatic being so expensive when this Jet was $800 and seems fine. I have not measured run out but its minor whatever it is, quiet, I actually have grown to like the X laser's. I do wish I could change speeds at the turn of a knob or push of a button like the Nova but I can see this press lasting the rest of my life with no issues. But for me, a drill press is something I have extensive need for a week or 2 per year and the rest of my projects, the drill press sits unused.