PDA

View Full Version : Oddities

jonathan frank
07-15-2003, 5:16 PM
I need to acquire some 'odd' lumber to use as a bench base for a Japanese woodworker friend who recently had bi-pass surgery. He plans to use the bench top as a work surface and his seat while he demonstrates at a woodworking event in Indianapolis next October. The 'odd' lumber doesn't need to be exact, exotic or strong, just stable. Ideally the dimensions would be rectangular, close to: 18" long x 10" wide x 13" deep. Two "chunks" will be needed. The chunks need not be sanded or cosmetically clean, bandsaw cuts would work just fine. Anyone know where I might find something like this in the Indianapolis area?

Dennis Peacock
07-18-2003, 12:09 PM
I need to acquire some 'odd' lumber to use as a bench base for a Japanese woodworker friend who recently had bi-pass surgery. He plans to use the bench top as a work surface and his seat while he demonstrates at a woodworking event in Indianapolis next October. The 'odd' lumber doesn't need to be exact, exotic or strong, just stable. Ideally the dimensions would be rectangular, close to: 18" long x 10" wide x 13" deep. Two "chunks" will be needed. The chunks need not be sanded or cosmetically clean, bandsaw cuts would work just fine. Anyone know where I might find something like this in the Indianapolis area?

I would check the local paper or phone book for a sawmill in that area and ask them to cut the blanks you need. I used to visit a couple of sawmills and their "throw away" pile is a small "gold mine" of stuff for the common woodworker.