PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Rocking Horse

Gilbert Vega
01-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Putting the finishing touches on a Mesquite rocking horse i am building for one of my grandsons. Need to trim the mane and the tail. Took LOML and I about two weekend to build and finish.

Also building a Mesquite piggy bank for my other grandson.

Mark Riegsecker
01-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Beautiful work Gilbert!

I especially like the horse. I wanted to make one from a Woodsmith plan. But couldn't figure out how to cut the angled wedges as they were illustrated to make the legs spread about 14 degrees. I wrote to them but I guess they figured WHAT!!!! so they didn't respond.
I had used some old 2bys lumber with a nail or two (still grinding out that nick from my planer blades):eek: The cutouts are still in a pile in the barn You may have inspired me. I had forgotten how nice a rocking horse can look

Thanks for the pics.

Chris Curry
01-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Very nice! Your little pardner will be pleased I'm sure. Remarkably similar to one I built for my sister's boy about 15 years ago. What did you use to finish it?

Chris

John Hart
01-09-2006, 8:03 AM
Wow. That is just gorgeous Gilbert! Nice detail and quite a treasure.:)

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
The horsie is sweet. I like the clean material. :)

KC

Michael Ballent
01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
That looks great!!! When my son gets older I will probably build one for him... If I have any time available ;)

Gilbert Vega
01-09-2006, 7:57 PM
What did you use to finish it?

Chris

I applied 5 coats of Tung oil finish by Mixwax followed by three coats of Satin wipe-on ploy, alos by Minwax.

Thanks for the kind comments. I roughly followed the plan at the Shopsmith site, reducing the size for my 1 year old grandson.

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 7:59 PM
Gilbert, that mesquite looks wonderful on both projects...awesome!