PDA

View Full Version : Interior Doors, Storm Door

Greg Pierce
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi everybody. I've been searching through posts here for an hour or so for information on making interior doors and a storm door. I'm getting tired and it's getting late so I'm gonna cheat. Has anyone made these doors? I have made raised panel cabinet doors when building cabinets. I am guessing I need to buy a set of interior door raile and stile bits like I have for cabinets. I plan to make them out of oak, I have plenty of it. Or I might opt for knotty pine. I am building a log house and I think either would look fine. I think the pine might be easier to work and learn.

The wife says it's time for doors. We are building a log house, been at it for 3 years now, just have the basement and first floor done. Doing everything myself after work, weekends etc. Taking forever! Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Particular questions I have are:
1. How thick should I shoot for for interior doors, I have read 1 3/8?
2. How do I raise the panels, flip it over and over cutting a little off until I get the tongue the right size?
3. Storm door, same way, just no panels, maybe removable glass?
Thanks in advance for the help, the wife will be beside herself if she has to open a door to go into the laundry room.

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 8:48 AM
This thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22781) by Mark Singer will be helpful to you...while the style and size of the doors are likely different for your home, there is a lot of good information in that thread.

Greg Pierce
01-09-2006, 8:53 PM
Thanks Jim, I will check it out.