PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 planer popping breaker

Dean Egnater
04-19-2021, 10:10 PM
As has happened with many other people my planer started popping the breaker with even the smallest possible cuts. Don't get me wrong...I've had the planer since 1977 and love it...been a work horse

Got some interesting data so I thought I would share.

Bought the breaker for $12 off amazon...said it was oem. Opened up the case and swopped it out....noticed that the original breaker was 18 amps...new breaker is 20 amps. Which is really interesting given that the machine says 15 amps on the label.

Idles at 11.5 amps

Ran a piece of wood with 1/16th inch cut....19.5 amps (ouch!)

Flipped knives around to new edge.....18.5 amps (better, but still not good)

I have a 14 gauge 25' extension cord I've been using as a hand tool/shop cable forever...so I plugged the planer straight into the wall
Still idles at 11.5.....1/16th inch cut = 15.2 amps

Cable is in the trash can and problem solved....surprised the remaining copper in the cable hadn't melted. Interesting that the planer is still over spec when cutting...but then again I have a fairly inexpensive ammeter so it may just be error.

Charles Lent
04-21-2021, 12:37 PM
It's not necessary to trash that extension cord. Just don't use it with your planer. What is it's gauge rating (stamped in the side of the cord)? It will be fine for other uses that don't require that much current. If you need an extension cord for your planer, get one with 12 or 10 gauge wire and rated for at least 20 amps. Also, if you can get by with a 10 or 15' extension cord for the planer, go with the shorter extension cord.

All of my shop extension cords are 12 gauge, so I can use them for any of my 120 volt power tools, but there is nothing wrong with 14 or 16 gauge extension cords, as long as you don't use them where high running current is required. Use 14 gauge extensions for tools that don't need more than 15 amps and 16 gauge for tools that don't need more than 10 amps (or the outdoor Christmas LED lights).

Charley