PDA

View Full Version : Why did Grizzly discontinue their wet grinders ?

Clarence Martinn
04-19-2021, 1:13 AM
Anyone know why they discontinued them ?

Stewart Lang
04-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Shiraz might chime in at some point. From a business perspective, usually when something is discontinued it's just not profitable. WEN came out with a wet grinder that's almost identical for $120. They might not want to compete at that price. Or perhaps they're re-designing it and have something new in the works. Once all the inventory of the old design sells, they just discontinue it until the new one comes in.

Did you try sending Grizzly an email asking them? That seems like the place to ask :)

Alex Zeller
04-19-2021, 12:45 PM
I have the larger one and find it works well. The stone that came with it has a hole for the arbor that's slightly oversize. Possibly so it doesn't get stuck on the arbor if it rusts. That required the wheel to be dressed to make it run true. Other than that it's served me well. A much cheaper option than a Tormek if you are unsure if this type of system is right for you. I now have a 600 grit diamond wheel on it now and lots of Tormek jigs. It'll be a shame if Grizzly stops selling them but if they aren't selling then I can understand why.

Bill Dufour
04-19-2021, 4:17 PM
I know nothing about machine tool makers and production run sizes but... Ford quit making the Mustang when sales fell under 100,00 per year. Of course a grinder from 1920 is not much different from today so I doubt Grizzly pours a ton of money into new designs for most of it's tools.
They have added modern switches and motors, better dust collection and fences etc. But they do not have to meet new safety and smog rules that change every year.
Bill D