View Full Version : Looking for ideas on making some trim

Dave Mills
04-16-2021, 9:00 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this trim. I need to make about 6 feet of this - not all one long piece. Will make it from Maple, and it's for dividers in a box. I have a router bit that could make the shape, one side at a time, but I'm nervous at cutting out so much material on a small piece of wood. The curve shown doesn't need to be exactly that pattern, but I'm wanting to avoid just making it a triangle on the saw, wanting something with a bit more style.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

Christopher Herzog
04-16-2021, 9:10 PM
Could you make it on a wide board, cut off the pattern and glue back together with a piece for front and back?

Dave Mills
04-16-2021, 9:23 PM
Could you make it on a wide board, cut off the pattern and glue back together with a piece for front and back?
If I follow you, you're suggesting I make the trim in two halves by starting with a wide board, routing one of these curves in it and then cutting it off. Make a whole bunch of those, then flip half of them over and glue them together with the seam along this red line?

That does sound a lot more doable than cutting both sides into one board.

johnny means
04-16-2021, 9:26 PM
Mill your profile into an over sized piece, then rip off the profile.456115

Dave Mills
04-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Ah, that's another good idea, thanks!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-16-2021, 11:32 PM
Plus 1 on Johnny's way.

Tom M King
04-17-2021, 7:33 AM
In addition, with a router, small bites, and multiple passes.

Dan Cameron
04-17-2021, 12:13 PM
In addition, with a router, small bites, and multiple passes.

And when you cut off the piece of trim, make the trim the OFFCUT, not pinched between blade and fence!

Earl McLain
04-17-2021, 1:31 PM
I'd probably use Johnny's approach, but also use the project as the "reason" (excuse) to finally pick up a horizontal router table to cut the profile.
earl

Dave Mills
04-17-2021, 2:09 PM
I'd probably use Johnny's approach, but also use the project as the "reason" (excuse) to finally pick up a horizontal router table to cut the profile.
earl
:D :D You're right there, that's the only remaining debate in my mind, as the router bit in my "regular" vertical table makes running the board through on edge the most obvious way. I'm going to check the bit profile though, it may be that I can run the board on its face, and gradually push it in closer to the fence to accomplish the same thing.

George Bokros
04-17-2021, 7:23 PM
Run it like Johnny shows using a round nose router bit.

Wes Grass
04-17-2021, 7:27 PM
For something other than a straight with radius, you could try a panel raising cutter with the piece laying down. Or cove it on the tablesaw.

Tom Bender
04-20-2021, 6:44 PM
Start with 3/4" stock and you can plane a bit off the edges after cutting it off the board. This way you can clean up any edge damage.