PDA

View Full Version : What kind of finish to use

joe webb
04-15-2021, 5:25 PM
Hello all,

I want to make a couple of tower bars for my bathrooms. Something like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/272120492/towel-rack-walnut-modern-towel-bar-wall

What would you recommend for the finish?
The towels might be damp when sitting on the bar, thus I am not sure what would be best for such case.

Thank much

Lee Schierer
04-15-2021, 8:13 PM
I made two towel bars more than 15 years ago out of red oak. I used MinWax fast drying polyurethane as a finish. They have seen many damy towels and lots of steamy showers when the grandkids visit and are still doing just fine.

joe webb
04-15-2021, 10:23 PM
I made two towel bars more than 15 years ago out of red oak. I used MinWax fast drying polyurethane as a finish. They have seen many damy towels and lots of steamy showers when the grandkids visit and are still doing just fine.

Thanks Lee. I am a big fan of MinWax. I have been using the water based poly for several projects and still have 1/2 gallon left.
Does it matter oil based vs water based?

Prashun Patel
04-16-2021, 6:46 AM
I would use an oil based varnish like Waterlox or arm r seal or even epiphanies. I like these a little more over minwax poly. Fwiw I have a shower bench finished in Waterlox. Still strong 5 years later.

Lee Schierer
04-16-2021, 9:08 AM
Thanks Lee. I am a big fan of MinWax. I have been using the water based poly for several projects and still have 1/2 gallon left.

I have no experience with water based poly in that application.

John TenEyck
04-16-2021, 10:18 AM

From the testing I have done, oil based poly is more durable against water damage than water borne. I would use oil based varnish.

John