PDA

View Full Version : Link Belt on a ts3650

Chris Johnson
01-08-2006, 7:51 PM
So I just got home from Rockler and am trying to install the link belt that everyone seems to be raving about. The problem I am having is that the pulleys on my ridgid ts3650 have no "walls" to contain the drive belt, and it falls right off the pulleys as fast as I can turn on the saw. The stock belt has ribs that fit in the grooves on the pulleys. I think I might need to align the motor to the arbor pulley, but I was also wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this saw or any other for that matter. I appreciate any and all advice

Chris

Jim Becker
01-08-2006, 7:55 PM
If your saw doesn't use a standard vee-belt, you really can't use the link belts. That sounds like your case with the particular Ridgid saw you have.

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek, Chris!

Russ Massery
01-08-2006, 8:02 PM
Chris, You have what's called a poly-vee belt, You would be better off just useing the stock belt set-up

scott spencer
01-08-2006, 8:21 PM
Tradiational standard V-belts are prone to taking a set that can cause vibration. Link belts help overcome that problem...so do the poly-v serpentine style belts on your saw and the new Craftsman and Delta hybrids. The pulleys on those saws cannot accommodate the link belt, nor will they benefit much from one. Link belts work, but tend make more wind noise...the poly-v's are quieter and have excellent power transfer effeciency relative to a single V-belt. Keep your standard belt and either return the link belt or use it on another machine.

Mark Rios
01-08-2006, 8:35 PM
I've got a TS2424. I bought my PALS kit from In-Line Industries. While talking to the salesperson, I asked about the link belts. She told me about the contractor saw performance pak which came with machined pulleys. They asked alot of questions about the motor and pulleys to get me the correct size for my saw. I like the outcome alot. But they also told me that the ribbed belts didn't gain too much from the change.

Jason White
11-28-2006, 6:00 PM
The stock belt on this saw is an "automotive" type belt, and shouldn't need replacing. Mine works great.

JW

glenn bradley
11-28-2006, 6:22 PM
You have a poly-vee belt, Link belts only replace monofiliment type belts (think plain ole fan belt lookin' things). They're a little expensive. Return it or use it on your drill press(?).

Ed Blough
11-29-2006, 12:12 AM
So I just got home from Rockler and am trying to install the link belt that everyone seems to be raving about. The problem I am having is that the pulleys on my ridgid ts3650 have no "walls" to contain the drive belt, and it falls right off the pulleys as fast as I can turn on the saw. The stock belt has ribs that fit in the grooves on the pulleys. I think I might need to align the motor to the arbor pulley, but I was also wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this saw or any other for that matter. I appreciate any and all advice

Chris

Chris
I think you got caught by a sales pitch. The belt that is already on the Ridgid overcomes the same problems a link belt does on machines that use v belts. You can't use it on your machine without replacing the pulleys and after you did all that you would find no difference in the saw.

Also someone mentioned Saw Pals I hope you know that the 3650 comes standard with devices that function just like the Saw Pals. So you don't need them either.