PDA

View Full Version : How would you accomplish this?

Jim Tobias
01-08-2006, 7:49 PM
I have veneered a bookmatch panel that I am using in the middle of a display table. I am using solid wood for the remainder of the table (frame for panel, legs, aprons, etc.). I want to dye the wood to get it the color that I believe will best compliment the veneer panel. I also wanted to do an inlay between the veneer panel and the frame. I am sure that I will need to use a scraper once the panel is set in place and therefore I am concerned that I will damage the dyed portion of the frame. Any tricks of the trade that anyone might know (other than being REEEEAL careful) that I might try?
Thanks,
Jim

Steve Cox
01-08-2006, 9:38 PM
If I understand correctly you want an inlay band ,say 1/8", between the solid wood frame and the veneered panel. If that is the case why not attach the banding wood to the frame before assembly. I did something similar to this and glued the strip on the frame lumber before I cut the miters. That way everything wound up being exactly on.

Jim Tobias
01-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I did not explain my original question very well. My dilemma is: 1) dye the frame border material before the glue up and risk scraping away the dyed surface when I flush the surfaces of the frame, veneer top and inlay or 2) try to dye the frame border after assembly and risk getting the dye on the inlay and veneer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Bob Johnson2
01-09-2006, 7:47 AM
I read an artical on similar recently where the author assembled the peice then sealed the parts NOT to be stained so the stain wouldn't stick. Unfortunatly I don't recall what he used, something to the effect of varnish. Hopefully someone else has a better memory, I'll try looking around for the artical. Never having done it I c an't tell you if it really works though.