PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, why does arthritis hurt

Bill Dufour
04-11-2021, 12:38 AM
As I get older I have some arthritis pain in my knee and hip. So why does it hurt? I understand it inflames the tissues around the joints etc. But what are any nerves doing inside the bones? I think there are few nerves inside the bones that sense tension so you do not overload a bone and break it. But what nerves are there to feel internal bone pain?
This is a serious question. I just do not understand what nerves are involved. Seems like they could inject botulism in those few nerves and kill the pain.
Bill D.

Scott Winners
04-11-2021, 12:57 AM
The nerves of bone are in the periosteum, a thin membrane on the outside surface of the mineral deposit of the bone.

Mayo clinic has a pretty good header page with links to psoriatic and osteo and rheumatoid and so on.

Jim Matthews
04-11-2021, 7:06 AM
I tried Voltaren topical from CVS.

It is more effective than Ibuprofen, for me.

Jim Becker
04-11-2021, 8:56 AM
"Because"

And I'm right there with you.

Sam Force
04-11-2021, 10:43 AM
Count me in as well, my rhuematologist describes it as like little ice crystals adhering to the inner surfaces of knee and hip joints. I'm thinking titanium would be less painful

Rob Luter
04-11-2021, 1:12 PM
As I get older I have some arthritis pain in my knee and hip. So why does it hurt? I understand it inflames the tissues around the joints etc. But what are any nerves doing inside the bones? I think there are few nerves inside the bones that sense tension so you do not overload a bone and break it. But what nerves are there to feel internal bone pain?
This is a serious question. I just do not understand what nerves are involved. Seems like they could inject botulism in those few nerves and kill the pain.
Bill D.

I've got it in my hands. Just what I need as a hand tool enthusiast.

Joe Bradshaw
04-11-2021, 1:43 PM
I receive 30% disability from the navy for arthritis. I attribute it to being a navy diver for 13 years. Voltarium works for me usually. Arthritis does not get better. I am 77 and I manage ok.

Nathan Johnson
04-11-2021, 1:46 PM
I tried Voltaren topical from CVS.

It is more effective than Ibuprofen, for me.

I just filled a new script for this in pill form. Good to know it may be effective. I haven't taken any yet.

Stan Calow
04-11-2021, 2:45 PM
Yes thumbs up for Voltaren! It was previously prescription only in the US, and I had to buy it OTC in Canada. Now OTC here too, which was great news when it happened.

Jim Matthews
04-11-2021, 5:25 PM
I do hope you mugs get some relief.

Younger users type too fast for me to keep up.

Ron Selzer
04-11-2021, 5:51 PM
Sombra Warm Therapy is a topical cream that gives me a lot of relief, buy it on ebay. I buy the 32oz with pump
Ron

Bill Carey
04-11-2021, 5:54 PM
Yes thumbs up for Voltaren! It was previously prescription only in the US, and I had to buy it OTC in Canada. Now OTC here too, which was great news when it happened.

^^ voltaren works great for me as well. Shoulders and hands. Funny thing is every time I've had a trigger finger released surgically (5 times so far) it has helped with the arthritis. My doc says it's all in my head, which is OK with me. Whatever works.

Wade Lippman
04-12-2021, 4:06 PM
If you want a real puzzler, why are there nerves in the prostate? The most painful thing I have ever felt was getting a shot of local anesthesia before a biopsy. I can't imagine why there are nerves there.