PDA

View Full Version : Apple Box

Dick Parr
01-08-2006, 7:39 PM
I tried something smaller the other day and have decided that Big Mike really is an artist when it comes to making boxes.:rolleyes: I also learned that I need to do allot of practice on making finials.:(

This is a piece of I think apple, that I got from John Hart last summer that Joe picked up for me before he came to the BBQ. It was fun to make until I got to the finial, I just have not spent enough time on making many.

The box and finial are 7-3/4" x 3-1/2" and the box is finished with Watco and beall buffed and the lid is purple-heart, finished with Mylands friction polish.

Thanks for looking.

Bob Noles
01-08-2006, 8:10 PM
Dick,

I really like that one. The richness of the wood really speaks loudly and the design and form are perfect.

Thanks for showing it to us.

All these pictures are sending chills up and down my backside. I got to practice harder so I can make some cool stuff like y'all.

Mark Cothren
01-08-2006, 8:30 PM
Nice one Dick! Nice detail work on that Apple and the color of the top works great with it.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2006, 9:27 PM
I like it Dick. Great work. Love the color and finish.

Joe Tonich
01-08-2006, 9:33 PM
Well done, Dick. I think ya nailed it on this. Looks GOOD! :D

Jim Ketron
01-08-2006, 9:50 PM
Nice looking Box Dick!

Ernie Nyvall
01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Now that's a different looking box. Very cool Dick.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
01-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Looks real good Dick..!!!! What's next? ;) :D

Keith Burns
01-09-2006, 8:14 AM
Great looking box Dick. I like the detail:)

Michael Stafford
01-09-2006, 9:01 AM
A nice box, Mr. Parr. Perhaps some of the difficulty you experienced was the result of the fact that you were working so far from the chuck. The leverage forces are multipled as you get farther from the chucking point. I learned this the hard way when I did some deep hollowed boxes (more than 4" deep in the base section). As I turned the inside and approached the outside diameter of the box it was much harder to resist the forces and the resultant catches if I did not control the tool perfectly.

Dick, I think this is a good attempt. You are braver than me. This is a lot better than just making a box that looks like all the other boxes. Now as far as finials go, I am not one to criticize anybody's efforts. Most of mine look like bumpy sticks....:p :o :D