PDA

View Full Version : Cutting drywall on a bandsaw

Tom Bender
04-09-2021, 4:30 PM
I rarely work with drywall but today I had to cut a few small pieces with inside corners. I used the bandsaw. It did a great job. Will this dull the blade fast? I know it would not be good for the bearings if done much but for just a few feet of cutting it seems harmless enough.

Zachary Hoyt
04-09-2021, 4:31 PM
I like a keyhole type saw for that, no bearings to worry about and less mess.

bill godber
04-09-2021, 4:32 PM
Drywall dust sucked into an electric motor is not a good thing.

Richard Coers
04-09-2021, 4:39 PM
Gypsum has a Mohs' hardness rating of 2, chalk if 3, talc is 1. So I don't think you'll see any damage unless there is something else in drywall other than gypsum and water.

Paul F Franklin
04-09-2021, 4:39 PM
Oh yes, it will dull the blade fast! If I have some to cut where score and snap won't work, I use a a stab saw or a sabre saw.

Carroll Courtney
04-09-2021, 4:55 PM
You must have a good reason for using BS so not going to offer any suggestion on what to use. But I would be using the cheapest blade possible if there is such a thing or one of your old blades.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2021, 6:12 PM
Most drywall has fibreglass in it so sawing it puts that dust in the air. It's really irritating stuff. Score and snap is the way to do it generally. I keep a drywall saw in my tool bag, they do get dull pretty quickly. It's just a straight handled keyhole saw.

Steve Fish
04-09-2021, 6:51 PM
I would go for the sawzall with a slow speed. It’s not too bad if you score cut the face with a razor.

Richard Coers
04-09-2021, 7:08 PM
Most drywall has fibreglass in it so sawing it puts that dust in the air. It's really irritating stuff. Score and snap is the way to do it generally. I keep a drywall saw in my tool bag, they do get dull pretty quickly. It's just a straight handled keyhole saw.
Based on my research, only fire rated drywall has fiberglass in it. The major ingredient in drywall is air (over 50%) based on the use of a foaming agent (detergent). The second and third major ingredients are gypsum and water. After that, all the other ingredients are controlled to less than 1/2 of one percent.

Phillip Mitchell
04-09-2021, 7:24 PM
Good lord, why would you subject such a lovely tool as bandsaw to drywall? So many other ways to cut it. Did you have to cut a curve in it or? I’ve used an oscillating multi tool with a dust extractor hose right up on the blade for more surgical cuts.

Alex Zeller
04-09-2021, 8:31 PM
For one or two small pieces I don't think I would worry about it. But I wouldn't make it a habit. The dust is very fine and will get into everything. I had to replace several tools after building my house because of the dust. It'll clog filters very fast. If you have an old router with a fixed base they work well for cutting circles in drywall.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Based on my research, only fire rated drywall has fiberglass in it. The major ingredient in drywall is air (over 50%) based on the use of a foaming agent (detergent). The second and third major ingredients are gypsum and water. After that, all the other ingredients are controlled to less than 1/2 of one percent.

Most of the lite versions do, I'd bet 90% of what we use does. Not just the fire code sheets. OSHA says there is very little respirable silica risk even when cut with a saw but... I know doing cutouts on a ceiling will make you itch, so there is enough in it to be irritating at least.

Erik Loza
04-10-2021, 10:11 AM
I’ve never thought of cutting drywall with a BS but here are a couple of stories from my Italian days:

-Customer was a jewelry artist and wanted a bandsaw for cutting soapstone. To my surprise, he knew about blade speeds and even told me about this water sprayer he used for cooling the cut. I asked him, “How do you keep the machine from rusting?”. His reply: “You don’t”.

-Customer ran a business making dog chews from deer or elk drop antlers. He ordered a couple of bandsaws and killed them both within a couple of months. From what we could conclude, something about the antler dust was destryoying the bearings, getting in the motors, etc. I think he ended up having to buy a $10K Do-All to satisfy his need.

Erik

Mike Cutler
04-10-2021, 10:24 AM
-Customer ran a business making dog chews from deer or elk drop antlers. He ordered a couple of bandsaws and killed them both within a couple of months.

Erik

OMG that had to stink to the high heavens to cut that!!!!:eek:
I cut a dog bone in half once with my bandsaw. Never again. I couldn't get that smell out of my nose for hours!

Warren Lake
04-10-2021, 10:29 AM
friend loaned a bandsaw to his friend who ended up cutting frozen fish on it. When he got it back he threw it out. I cut Acorn squash on my bandsaw a number of times and no ill affects, just blew it off with compressed air after. I still smelled the squash for a few years but it was fine.

Zachary Hoyt
04-10-2021, 12:48 PM
I cut bone nut and saddle blanks to size on my little bandsaw, and it doesn't seem to hurt it, though it does smell. I don't have to cut a lot, so that probably helps. It's beef bone, I think, if that makes a difference. I like to use the bandsaw to cut upholstery foam for chair cushions, it's easier and more accurate than a bread knife.

Jim Dwight
04-10-2021, 1:19 PM
I sometimes use an old blade in my tracksaw to cut drywall. It is quick and makes nice accurate cuts and the vacuum gets most of the dust.

To make small cuts, like for an electrical box, I nearly always use an oscillating saw. I showed this to a contractor who used a hand plunge cut saw for this and he said he would switch. The oscillating saw is more accurate and much easier.

Bradley Gray
04-10-2021, 3:49 PM
I cut Acorn squash on my bandsaw a number of times and no ill affects

OK Warren, gotta wonder why.

Charles Coolidge
04-10-2021, 7:13 PM
You want to experience real stink? Zebra wood, now there's the aroma of a septic tank on a hot Alabama afternoon. And OP don't cut drywall on your bandsaw you will anger the woodworking Gods.

Ron Citerone
04-10-2021, 8:15 PM
I can't think of one good reason to introduce drywall dust to a Band Saw. Frozen fish and acorn squash are suspect too. :):eek:

Mike Kees
04-12-2021, 10:58 AM
I have a friend who asked if he could use my bandsaw to cut up a deer carcass. When I suggested that would make a mess of my saw he told me not to worry they would pressure wash it before they returned it. Short answer was ....NOOO. Funny thing was his F.I.L. had borrowed a neighbors bandsaw and used it like this for years.

Roger Feeley
04-12-2021, 3:20 PM
-Customer ran a business making dog chews from deer or elk drop antlers.
ewwww. I turned a pen in antler once. What a smell!

Rod Sheridan
04-14-2021, 3:15 PM
friend loaned a bandsaw to his friend who ended up cutting frozen fish on it. When he got it back he threw it out. I cut Acorn squash on my bandsaw a number of times and no ill affects, just blew it off with compressed air after. I still smelled the squash for a few years but it was fine.

You need to get out more :-)