PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn 9 inch dovetail saw kit

Michael Bulatowicz
04-08-2021, 6:22 PM
I am nearly finished building my new 9 inch dovetail saw kit from Blackburn Tools.

The handle is cherry, not quite quartersawn, and is based on the handle templates also from Blackburn. The handle is almost done; just a few nitpicks left before I call it done.

I have not yet joined the blade and back, and I am trying to decide whether to add a flourish to the end of the back, similar to what Isaac Smith (of Blackburn Tools) uses.

Attached are images of the saw as it stands now, and and example flourish done on the offcut from the back.

The example flourish:

So, what do you think? Should I add the flourish or leave it as is?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Bill Carey
04-08-2021, 6:31 PM
Nice looking saw Michael. You did a really nice job on the handle. My vote would be to forego the flourish. I'm not a flourish kinda guy.

David Publicover
04-08-2021, 6:42 PM
That’s a great job! I can’t imagine it needs anything else. Beautiful.

Tom M King
04-08-2021, 6:52 PM
Add the flourish when you can cut perfect fitting dovetails off the saw.

Curt Putnam
04-08-2021, 7:22 PM
If your kit saw is anything like completely Isaac built saw that I have, you will cherish and respect it. I would expect more so because you put the parts together and finished them. A flourish is not amiss on a great saw. JMO & YMWV

Jim Koepke
04-08-2021, 9:10 PM
The saw looks great as is.

A flourish can always be added later if it is still desired.

jtk

Bill McDermott
04-08-2021, 9:17 PM
Flourish yes. But your handle is so elegant and delicate that a similar flourish would match better. Perhaps the vertical line toward the rear could overhang forward, creating yet another sweeping gesture, like in the gorgeous handle. In any case, it's great. Hope it cuts half as good as it looks. That would be like a hot knife through butter.

Scott Winners
04-08-2021, 10:45 PM
How are you cutting your blanks? CNC? Scroll saw and patience? They (both of your recent saw handles) look great to me.

Michael Bulatowicz
04-09-2021, 6:21 AM
Hi Scott,

No CNC here.

I print out (at actual size) the appropriate size and style saw handle template from the Blackburn Tools website. To make sure the size has correctly printed, Isaac included a helpful 1 inch crosshair size reference on the drawing. I cut off most of the excess paper, apply a repositionable spray adhesive to the back, and position it on the chosen piece of wood, adjusting the position as needed. I let the adhesive dry, then bring it to the scroll saw and cut out the blank using a fresh blade (all guided freehand). Done with precision and patience, there’s little cleanup required for the cut surfaces.

Michael

Michael Bulatowicz
04-09-2021, 6:26 AM
Thanks for the inputs and feedback, everyone. I think I will leave the saw as is for now and consider adding a flourish later. Perhaps, as Tom suggested, after I can consistently cut dovetails that fit perfectly off the saw.

Michael

Michael Bulatowicz
04-12-2021, 2:53 PM
I got a chance to finish building and then set and sharpen the saw.

How does it cut? Well, after a bit of tuning I decided to try some quick vertical test cuts the full depth to the spine. I’d call a vertical slice 0.023 inches thick more than good enough.

The test board:

The thin slice:

I am a very satisfied customer.

Michael