PDA

View Full Version : Person Looking for Woodworker to build Tack Box

Mike Henderson
04-08-2021, 12:20 PM
I was contacted by a woman who wants a woodworker to build a tack box for her. Through the "miracle" of the Internet, I came up as being close to her (I'm not).

She's in Edmore, MI, which is about 20 miles east of Alma (so she tells me). If you're close enough to take on a job of that type and deliver, PM me and I'll put you together with her.

Mike

Patrick McCarthy
04-08-2021, 12:27 PM
Boy, that sounds like it has Jim Becker written all over it . . . except for the Penn - Mich commute . . .

Jim Becker
04-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Yea, sadly, that's a bit out of my market because big and heavy is costly to ship, even for someone willing to drop $800-1500 on a high-end tack trunk. Hopefully, she'll be able to find someone closer. But even if she was around the corner, I'm now officially "shut down" for awhile, preparing for our move.

Mike Henderson
04-08-2021, 1:06 PM
Yea, sadly, that's a bit out of my market because big and heavy is costly to ship, even for someone willing to drop $800-1500 on a high-end tack trunk. Hopefully, she'll be able to find someone closer. But even if she was around the corner, I'm now officially "shut down" for awhile, preparing for our move.

Yeah, that's why I had to turn her down. I told her that if she was taking a trip to CA I'd do the job and she could pick it up. But shipping something that large would almost double the cost.

Mike

[Added note: She said she had plans that she wanted it built to, so you wouldn't have to go back and forth deciding on the design.]

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2021, 1:08 PM
I know two guys in Michigan cable of tackling this. One is a former Creeker and the other moved from southern Idaho. I will contact them and respond later to this thread.

Jim Becker
04-08-2021, 7:37 PM
[Added note: She said she had plans that she wanted it built to, so you wouldn't have to go back and forth deciding on the design.]

That right there might keep me from taking such a commission...I'll build the size features desired, but I have my physical/construction methodology that I don't deviate from and have honed for nearly ten years. Most of the available "plans" out there for tack trunks are, um...well...I can't use that language here. :D

Bruce Wrenn
04-08-2021, 8:35 PM
Boy, that sounds like it has Jim Becker written all over it . . . except for the Penn - Mich commute . . .

It's amazing what can be shipped by bus, and how cheaply, as compared to other methods. Don't forget Fastenal also does shipping, store to store only. No home delivery, or pick up.

Mike Henderson
04-08-2021, 11:30 PM
Ken gave me a pointer to someone close to her and I passed that contact info to her. It's up to the two of them now.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and help.

Mike

Mike Cutler
04-09-2021, 9:13 AM
That right there might keep me from taking such a commission...I'll build the size features desired, but I have my physical/construction methodology that I don't deviate from and have honed for nearly ten years. Most of the available "plans" out there for tack trunks are, um...well...I can't use that language here. :D

Is "junky, stapled pressboard, low quality ply, with a low quality finish" a bad word? ;)
I saw one many years ago for sale that was in excess of $500.00. What a piece of junk it was. They must have been very proud of their "staple gun joinery".:eek:

Mark Gibney
04-09-2021, 10:22 AM
I had to look up what a tack box is. I guess they are trunks used to store horsey stuff.
They remind me of something Chris Schwarz would have built when Popular Woodworking was worth reading.

Mike Cutler
04-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Mark

They can get pretty "exotic", depending on what a person is willing to spend.
I've seen them from a simple plywood box, to a full front wardrobe on wheels. Complete with mirrors and makeup lights.
Jim has a nice design that he came up with years ago. Very functional.

Jim Becker
04-09-2021, 8:43 PM
Yea, there are some folks who build these with pretty shabby materials and techniques. The worst part is that folks actually buy them, paying big bucks and think they got a deal. They can get a better, albeit boring, product from the Dover Saddlery website or store for what some people are paying for home center construction grade materials and home center finishing. Even my most basic offer to clients has the same level of physical quality as the highest end pieces do. The difference is largely in features, simpler hardware and less expensive species on the sheet goods and solid stock. But it's the same for furniture, cabinetry and other things.

Alex Zeller
04-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Do you ever just scan a title and then realize that your dyslexia changed a word? I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had. A tack box would be an interesting project too. In my limited time looking I have found that hardware is either very cheap looking or is very expensive (if you can find it). That being said tack boxes tend to be less ornate than something like a steamer trunk (not that a steamer truck wouldn't make a nice tack box).

Jim Matthews
04-10-2021, 7:47 AM
I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/55609117/were-going-to-need-a-bigger-boot.jpg

Jim Becker
04-10-2021, 9:15 AM
Do you ever just scan a title and then realize that your dyslexia changed a word? I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had. A tack box would be an interesting project too. In my limited time looking I have found that hardware is either very cheap looking or is very expensive (if you can find it). That being said tack boxes tend to be less ornate than something like a steamer trunk (not that a steamer truck wouldn't make a nice tack box).

One of my "signature" things is that I now use road case type handles, even on the most basic tack trunks. They cost maybe $15 (I forget what my supplier charges but it's about that) but are substantially stronger and easier to use. I also use double locking casters for folks who request casters. I agree that's there's a dearth of good "mid-range" hardware choices for projects like this. We don't live in a "trunk" oriented society these days, equestrian or not.

-----

BTW, your eyes must be doing the same dance mine are these days...I have to look twice sometimes to be sure I'm not misreading a word. LOL But my excuse is macular hole surgery and a recent cataract surgery in the same eye. I'm a little, um....unbalanced...right now. (Professor Dr. SWMBO agrees... :D )

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2021, 1:38 PM
I'm a little, um....unbalanced...right now. (Professor Dr. SWMBO agrees... :D )

Just right now? Askin' for a friend.:rolleyes:;):D

Tom Bender
04-15-2021, 8:32 AM
My wife has the addiction (to horses) so I am familiar with the issue. There are two types of tack boxes; the ones that stay in one place and the ones that travel to horse shows. The stationary ones can be more like a wardrobe with standup access and lots of space. The traveling ones are trunks that get dragged around, sat and stood on and generally abused. For a traveling trunk you can buy a nice tough plastic one that weighs about 20 pounds and if placed in mud or even a foot of water, keeps the contents dry. I can't recommend building a wood one for this use.

Here's one I built. The door is ventilated so stuff drys.
456031 456032

Here's a nice one her uncle made, about 60 pounds.

Here's a plastic one

You might guess that there is never enough space for stuff.

Jim Becker
04-15-2021, 8:46 AM
For a traveling trunk you can buy a nice tough plastic one that weighs about 20 pounds and if placed in mud or even a foot of water, keeps the contents dry. I can't recommend building a wood one for this use.

I have built a number of tack trunks for travel/show use out of the dozens in total produced. Folks do not and will not use the plastic ones for serious show travel...this is a sport where "appearance" means more than anything other than winning ribbons. (one of the things that I did not appreciate over ten years of horse ownership) Mobile trunks just have to be constructed for the task. None of the units I've built for clients have ever failed. One was even a unique design that was "stationary" on top of a lower drawer unit during non-travel times and had a removable dolly system to convert to travel for a few months a year for that particular client. I do charge more for road-worthy units as they require additional structural consideration that adds time and (some) material to the build.

Tom Bender
04-15-2021, 9:06 AM
Jim I have no doubt that you build trunks that can take the abuse but two women are not going to lug one across a field. The plastic one has wheels like a suitcase.

Now for high end shows with a sturdy groom along (or dad) a high end trunk is more reasonable. Or if the trunk can stay in a vehicle it makes sense.

The last show I assisted at was a 3 day event. There were 40 women and horses with their stuff crammed into 12 empty stalls. Some camped in tents, some in horse trailers. The horses had temporary outside stalls. It rained and there was mud, and it was hot between the rain. It was a great party for the ladies who spent quite a bit of time in the tack stalls talking, cleaning and prepping. I left them to it and came back to pick mine up at the end. The plastic trunk was perfect.

Jim Becker
04-15-2021, 1:23 PM
Most of my trunks have double locking casters. For those that are "travelers" I use larger casters so they are more amenable to rolling in less than ideal conditions. The road-case type handles I use are also easier for carrying than what even commercial makers put on. Honestly, I've only ever seen on plastic trunk in use in any of the barns around here. No matter, different folks like different things. The trunks I make average about $950, depending on options with the low end at about $750 and my current high at $1850.

Mike Henderson
04-15-2021, 1:58 PM
Just an update - I heard back from the woman who contacted me and she is working with one of the woodworkers that I sent her information on. So it looks like it's working out. She said the woodworker and his wife have horses and they're working together to finalize a design for the tack box.

Mike

Mike Cutler
04-17-2021, 8:46 AM
Tom
Those are some nice Tack Trunks you made. Nice work!The wardrobe looks functional.
The Rubbermaid totes are good for a lot of things, but as Jim stated, there is alot of "show appearance" in the equation. I've seen the "equestrian" model in the catalogs, but for injection molded plastic, it's pretty darn expensive, and it doesn't hold very much.
I think that folks in general have an affinity for wooden boxes for all kinds of storage. Not just horse stuff. People seem appreciate and admire a nice well made box. They're also good learning projects. To make a box that big, square, and functional, is a good test of skill.