PDA

View Full Version : Sanding paste or Mineral oil and bees wax finish

Denny Nebgen
04-07-2021, 2:56 PM
I have made some before but, was not happy with the consistancy- too thin /runny IMHO. So I started this time with the recipe that said 4 parts MO to one part Beeswax by weight(20 ounces MO to 5 ounces of beeswax). Came out way too runny after set up. So I put it back in the crock pot and added 3 more ounces of beeswax. Closer but, no cigar. I am looking for something close to paste wax consistancy. I have added 2 more ounces of beeswax this time around so, I am at a 2/1 ratio now with 2 parts MO to one part BW.

Do any of you make your own like this and if so, what consistancy do you get and what is your mix ratio?

Thanks for listening to an old guy vent.

Prashun Patel
04-07-2021, 3:07 PM
I wouldn't add ANY mineral oil to beeswax.

If anything, I would add in small amounts of mineral spirits to make the wax more pliable. Mineral oil doesn't dry fast enough for me.

Denny Nebgen
04-07-2021, 4:06 PM
I wouldn't add ANY mineral oil to beeswax.

If anything, I would add in small amounts of mineral spirits to make the wax more pliable. Mineral oil doesn't dry fast enough for me.

I have used this as a finish over triple e ultrashine and it leaves a bit more satin finish than my usual finish, but I haven't like the consistancy. Even on my last batch, it had a bit too much oil in it. Oh well, I will get in tuned in eventually.

John Hart
04-07-2021, 4:49 PM
I've been using this stuff with good results. It appears they use carnuba and bees wax along with their orange oil. Maybe this can offer a hint to success

David Walser
04-07-2021, 5:53 PM
Denny -- A couple of comments: First, the advantage of making it yourself is you get the consistency you want. Keep adding more was/less oil until it's as thick as you want it to be.

Second, the purpose of the wax is to help keep the oil from spinning off as you sand. You want the mixture as thin as possible -- while still not slinging too much off. The 'right consistency' depends on a number of factors. Power sanding, with the lathe at a relatively high speed, calls for a thick sanding lubricant. Sanding by hand, with the lathe slowly turning, calls for a thinner mixture.

Generally, I wet sand my projects. For wood, my preferred sanding lubricant is walnut oil -- no wax. It works well for me. If I turn the lathe speed up too high, it can cause quite a mess. But, hey, my smock is already stained with lots of other things, some walnut oil won't hurt it. And, I cover the bed of the lathe with newspaper. My point is NOT that you should do as I do. My point is you'll be best served to come up with a solution that best meets your needs.

John K Jordan
04-07-2021, 7:12 PM
Denny,

I sent some beeswax from my hives to a gentleman a few years ago and he experimented.

His final formula:
Mixed the wax with BLO
40% wax/60% BLO.
Added a splash of EV olive oil to retard any drying from the BLO.
Mixture seems to be top notch.

JKJ

Mike Nathal
04-07-2021, 7:29 PM
Mike Peace has a YT video on making a sanding paste. There are others too but his is pretty typical

Denny Nebgen
04-08-2021, 9:06 AM
Mike Peace has a YT video on making a sanding paste. There are others too but his is pretty typical

Yeah, I've watched his and some other's videos. They were saying 4: 1 ratio and that has been too thin for my liking. I don't use so much as a sanding paste but rather a finish on top of the tripple E ultrashine.

Peter Blair
04-08-2021, 9:45 AM
I make and sell my own mix of 50/50. Used on cooking utensils and salad bowls easily rubbed in by hand. The consistency is similar to butter which has been sitting out at room temp here in BC about 68 degrees.

Walter Mooney
04-08-2021, 3:17 PM
John, Denny, Peter,

Are the ratios by weight or volume of the components?

Thanks

Peter Blair
04-08-2021, 3:25 PM
Mine is by volume, I think, haven't made any in years though so don't quote me .

George Yetka
04-08-2021, 3:50 PM
I heat 64 oz of mineral oil in crock pot and add 1 lb of beeswax till it melts then pour into a container.

Consistancy is fairly thick. message me with your address ill send some

Denny Nebgen
04-08-2021, 6:46 PM
I heat 64 oz of mineral oil in crock pot and add 1 lb of beeswax till it melts then pour into a container.

That's pretty close to the ratio I started with about 4 to 1. Mine did not come out thick. Do you stir yours continuously or just let it heat? I didn't stir mine just periodically and it came out thin.

Denny Nebgen
04-08-2021, 6:48 PM
John, Denny, Peter,

Are the ratios by weight or volume of the components?

Thanks

I've been going by weight which is what Mike Peace and others on you tube were going by.

Denny Nebgen
04-08-2021, 6:55 PM

I haven't found a way to send a message directly to you on here as yet.

John K Jordan
04-08-2021, 10:43 PM
I haven't found a way to send a message directly to you on here as yet.

You may have to upgrade from "member" to "contributor" to have access to private messages and other things. I don't remember the specifics - they changed last year I think.
The cost is not much - the minimum is $6 per year. https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

Walter Mooney
04-09-2021, 2:26 PM
Thank you very much!

John Hart
04-10-2021, 2:05 PM
We made a batch of wood conditioner yesterday. Beeswax and mineral oil. Turned out great. I finished a couple of cutting boards with it. Perfect. I won't be buying commercial brands from here forward.

Peter Blair
04-10-2021, 7:13 PM
John what formula did you use to make it?

We made a batch of wood conditioner yesterday. Beeswax and mineral oil. Turned out great. I finished a couple of cutting boards with it. Perfect. I won't be buying commercial brands from here forward.

John Hart
04-10-2021, 7:29 PM
John what formula did you use to make it?

Hey Pete
Beeswax.....70grams....20.6%
Oil................270 grams....79.4%

Just put it all in a double boiler and mix it up

Kyle Iwamoto
04-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Hey Pete
Beeswax.....70grams....20.6%
Oil................270 grams....79.4%

Just put it all in a double boiler and mix it up

That's almost exactly the same proportions as the OP. Is it runny?
But then I guess "runny" could be many things. Ketchup could be runny.
How is the long term durability of this? I've tried pure MO, and it does nothing but soak in, and water also soaks in and warped my endgrain cutting board. I think I ran 8 or 10 coats of MO. I'm very curious on this thread.

John Hart
04-12-2021, 12:57 PM
That's almost exactly the same proportions as the OP. Is it runny?
But then I guess "runny" could be many things. Ketchup could be runny.
How is the long term durability of this? I've tried pure MO, and it does nothing but soak in, and water also soaks in and warped my endgrain cutting board. I think I ran 8 or 10 coats of MO. I'm very curious on this thread.

Hi Kyle
Well I'd say the consistency is like butter that's been out of the fridge for 30 minutes. Pretty firm. You have to swirl your rag a bit to get a decent amount to rub in. I don't know the long term durability yet but it appears to be a lasting finish. Very nice.
Oh....and maybe one distinction of mine which may be different is that I used Howard Cutting Board Oil because I happened to have a bottle in the shop

George Yetka
04-12-2021, 1:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfW65qrM-ZM

This is the video i used the first time i did it.

I stir every so often to speed up the melting process

David Walser
04-12-2021, 2:41 PM
If you used Howard Cutting Board Oil, you used mineral oil. It's "pure food-grade mineral oil." That's according to their website. There's nothing wrong with Howard's, but you can generally find mineral oil cheaper at the drug store. ​