PDA

View Full Version : Club surveys or questionnaires??

Ricc Havens
04-05-2021, 2:51 PM
Anyone involved with a club have any club surveysquestionnaires they want to share? I am looking to help put together a survey for our club members to see what their skill levels are, areas of interest turning related or non-turning related - especially if their non-turning sklills/interests can be used to help the club in some way like web design, news letter, etc. Or maybe to see if they are interested in getting involved in other things like mentoring a new turner, or one on one helping another club member develop a new specific skill to expand that club member's skillset outside a regular club demo topic, etc.

But, I don't want to leave the questions too open for them to write whole paragraphs for each answer. I guess I'd like to be able to have questions that have multiple choice answers so some sort of data can be tabulated without having 30 or 40 different answers for each question that then need to some how be consolidated into meaningful data.

My idea is to use an online survey service like survey monkey so they can answer anonymously.

If you have a written survey questionnaire that you want to share it can be sent to me at rv.havens@gmail.com

Thanks
Ricc

Russell Neyman
04-09-2021, 5:14 AM
Several years ago we used this survey to gather information about our membership and learned a whole lot. It's a useful survey because it provides multiple ways to study the data. Our members filled it out at a meeting and turned them in anonymously.

THREE QUICK QUESTIONS:
THIS SURVEY WILL HELP US MAKE OUR CONTENT MORE RELEVANT MEMBERSHIP. PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO TELL US ABOUT YOUR INTERESTS.

What subjects would you like featured at our monthly meetings?

BASIC WOODTURNING
HOLLOW FORMS
LIDDED BOXES
WOOD SELECTION
FINISHING TECHNIQUES
PENS
BOTTLE STOPPERS
SEGMENTED TURNING
AIRBRUSHING/COLOR
DECORATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS
PHOTOGRAPHY
ARTISTIC TURNING
LATHES/MACHINERY
WOODTURNING TOOLS
FOOD SAFE UTILITY BOWLS
FURNITURE
DECORATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS
SPINDLE WORK
SHOP SAFETY
FINIALS
STEMWARE & GOBLETS
OTHER:

What is your preferred method of keeping informed about club activities?

NEWSLETTER
US POSTAL SERVICE
FACEBOOK/TWITTER
CLUB WEBSITE
WOODWORKER WEST MAGAZINE
WORD OF MOUTH
EMAIL MESSAGES
OTHER

Which club services to you use regularly?

SANDPAPER & GLUE
LENDING LIBRARY
MENTORING PROGRAM
VENDOR SALES
SPECIALIZED TRAINING CLASSES
CLUB DISCOUNT AT RETAIL STORES
WOOD AUCTION
CLUB PARTIES
TOOL EXCHANGE
WEBSITE LINKS
IDEAS FROM SHOW & TELL
SPECIAL EVENTS
OTHER:

Comment or suggestion:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

#####
Some of the results were noteworthy:
>> The most requested topic for demonstrations was, by far, finishing products and techniques.
>> No one wanted to learn about shop safety.
>> Penmaking wasn't nearly as popular as we thought.
>> Our merchandising program (glue and sandpaper sales) was often a dealmaker when it came to attendance.
>> Pre-meeting socializing played a key part in motivating the group.
>> Surprisingly, some people weren't really active in the craft and mostly participated because they found it entertaining.
>> Not surprisingly, a large percentage of people relied on word-of-mouth to know what was going on.

I have this in a pdf format if anyone wants easy access to a version of it.

Ricc Havens
04-09-2021, 8:49 AM
Russ, thankS I really appreciate the input!! I downloaded the survey your provided.

Anyone else have some input?

Ricc