PDA

View Full Version : Cherry burl for pen blank question

Bob Noles
01-08-2006, 6:12 PM
I'm having more fun than a pig in a mud hole with this lathe. I'm about to run out of friends to give pens to at this rate :eek:

I was digging around in my box of goodies from John Hart and found a beautiful sample of cherry burl about the right size for a pen blank. The burl is beautiful, but does have some minor cracking as usual. There is no way to cut a blank from this piece without including some of the cracking.

My question is, would this make for a good pen blank or not? How would you handle the cracks? CA? I can picture the beautiful pen it would make if possible, but don't want to waste the burl if it is not a good idea.

TIA

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-08-2006, 7:16 PM
Just my method, but, for what it's worth, I use CA on it till it's full or fill the crack with coffee grounds, cocobola dust, or something else, then soak with CA. Does a great job of keeping everything together, providing you have SHARP tools and take light cuts. Don't get heavy handed.

Bruce

Bob Noles
01-08-2006, 8:01 PM
Bruce,

Thanks so much for the tip. I believe I'm going to put this piece to work with your advice.

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2006, 9:31 PM
Bob I would like to know if it worked out. I have a couple of pen blanks I want to use but they have cracks also. Let me know how it works out.