PDA

View Full Version : What about a Wixey?

Rob Luter
04-05-2021, 7:45 AM
I did a search and found lots of Wixey threads, but none really got me what I needed.

Setting the angle on my table saw is a PITA. The gauge only get's you in the ballpark other than 90 and 45 degrees, which are hard stops. Even they are off a bit. You need to make quite a few test cuts to get dialed in. Will a Wixey really get me that much closer right off the hop? They're pretty reasonable price-wise now. Worth it?

Commentary from Wixey users welcomed.

Tom M King
04-05-2021, 8:16 AM
Yes .

Stan Calow
04-05-2021, 8:39 AM
Yes, I've found it to be just as helpful on the miter, saw.

roger wiegand
04-05-2021, 9:17 AM
Yes, absolutely. I use them on the table saw, miter saw, drill press, and band saw.

Stewart Lang
04-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Yes, absolutely. They're very accurate.

glenn bradley
04-05-2021, 12:26 PM
I was an early adopter and the Wixey was nice. The first version of the Beall Tilt Box was better. The Tilt Box II is not as accurate as the current Wixey. I use both Beall's frequently (my Wixey died) and rarely find I need a second run at something I have set with either. The Beall has magnets on the bottom and both sides. The Wixey is bottom only IIRC. This is not an issue in use as far as I can see. I also use a Wixey DRO on the tablesaw and would not want to be without it. I use other brands on planers and such simply because at the time I needed them, Wixey did not offer products with that range. They now do.

Richard Coers
04-05-2021, 12:43 PM
I thought all stops on table saws and miter saws were adjustable? The idea is to tweak them and then adjust them so you come to the stop every time. You're missing out if you tweak the blade every time.

Rob Luter
04-05-2021, 3:09 PM
Stops are only perfect if there's no sawdust on them. My saw is a modest Ridgid TS 3650 and I don't think the stops are adjustable.

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2021, 7:29 PM
I use a Wixey fot setting the blade on my tablesaw. Very glad I bought it.

Cary Falk
04-05-2021, 7:38 PM
Stops are only perfect if there's no sawdust on them. My saw is a modest Ridgid TS 3650 and I don't think the stops are adjustable.

I just looked at the manual online and the stops are adjustable.

richard poitras
04-05-2021, 11:26 PM
There are phone aps for angels that work as well....

Prashun Patel
04-05-2021, 11:37 PM
I have a wixey. I love it. Yes it’s accurate. It’s small, magnetic, couldn’t be simpler to use.

David Powell
04-05-2021, 11:46 PM
Another vote for the Beal Tilt box.

Rob Luter
04-06-2021, 8:33 AM
I just looked at the manual online and the stops are adjustable.

I'll have to take a peek.

Roger Feeley
04-06-2021, 8:53 AM

agreed. I adjusted the stop on my Sawstop to a perfect 90 degrees and then some sawdust got in there. I wound up abandoning the stop and I use a Wixey.

Alan Lightstone
04-06-2021, 9:34 AM
agreed. I adjusted the stop on my Sawstop to a perfect 90 degrees and then some sawdust got in there. I wound up abandoning the stop and I use a Wixey.

+1. And not terribly easy to adjust the stops. I use a Wixey for that too.

Chris Tolbert
04-06-2021, 9:44 AM
I should hope so...my new Wixley just showed up!

johnny means
04-06-2021, 6:40 PM
I prefer a bourbon wixey, but have recently discovered some interesting japanese wixeys.

Christopher Glanton
04-07-2021, 2:04 PM
Any experience with the Wixey Digital Readout? Wondering if it's worth it for my DW735.

Charles Lent
04-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Going "Digital" will take your woodworking to a new level of precision. The Wixey angle cube is great for setting your table saw angle stops, but it's even better when you need 31 1/2 degrees of blade angle. It does that too, and any other angle between your two table saw blade angle stops. I also have a Wixey DRO on my Unisaw fence. I can adjust it for a 1" wide cut and make the cut. Then move the fence away and make another cut. Then move the fence back to 1" and make a second 1" cut, and when I measure the two 1" wide boards with a Wixey digital caliper, they will be within 0.003" of each other. Can you do that with only your fence scale to work with? I have a Wixey on my DeWalt 735 and it gives me boards with great thickness accuracy too. How about a digital blade height gauge? I have a Wixey DRO for that too. I do not yet have the Wixey drill press depth gauges, but I do have Wixey cross hair lasers on all three of my drill presses.

Charley

Christopher Glanton
04-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Great to know how accurate the DRO is Charles, Thanks!

Going "Digital" will take your woodworking to a new level of precision. The Wixey angle cube is great for setting your table saw angle stops, but it's even better when you need 31 1/2 degrees of blade angle. It does that too, and any other angle between your two table saw blade angle stops. I also have a Wixey DRO on my Unisaw fence. I can adjust it for a 1" wide cut and make the cut. Then move the fence away and make another cut. Then move the fence back to 1" and make a second 1" cut, and when I measure the two 1" wide boards with a Wixey digital caliper, they will be within 0.003" of each other. Can you do that with only your fence scale to work with? I have a Wixey on my DeWalt 735 and it gives me boards with great thickness accuracy too. How about a digital blade height gauge? I have a Wixey DRO for that too. I do not yet have the Wixey drill press depth gauges, but I do have Wixey cross hair lasers on all three of my drill presses.

Charley

Steve Hubbard
04-08-2021, 2:02 PM
Perhaps my Wixey is the exception, but it is not consistently accurate enough to set a perfect 45 degree tilt for cutting 2 inch thick stock. My best results have been with the use of a combo square for setting 90 and 45 degrees.

Charles Lent
04-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Steve,

When you place your cube, do you first place it on your saw table and zero it? Then, when you place it on your saw blade, do you use a try square to be certain that the cube is truly vertical and centered over the arbor of the saw and center of the saw blade? Slight errors can occur if it isn't positioned perfectly.

Charley

Ken Howell
04-10-2021, 10:36 AM
I have the TS3650 and the stops are adjustable. You have to use an allen wrench and the are located on the table itself in front of the blade.

Rob Luter
04-10-2021, 3:33 PM
Thanks Ken. I was going to drag out the manual tomorrow and get it dialed in.

David Utterback
04-10-2021, 6:23 PM
My Wixey reads 90.1 degrees on each side of the saw blade. Maybe I need to replace it.

Derek Cohen
04-10-2021, 8:47 PM
My Wixey reads 90.1 degrees on each side of the saw blade. Maybe I need to replace it.

David, I suspect that this is user error - where you place the Wixey needs to be a representative and repeatable position for measuring. Some surfaces are not uniformly flat or coplanar. This will affect your readings as the area under the Wixey box is small.

I’ve been using Wixey’s for many years and had good experiences. The current boxes use AAA batteries, I seem to recall, rather than the round disks, and last a long time (I cannot recall when I last replaced a battery).

In addition to a box, which is used on the table saw blade, I use one when setting up a bandsaw blade/table, and I have installed them on the tablesaw fence ...

https://i.postimg.cc/vBkSqpkf/1.jpg

.. the bandsaw fence ....

https://i.postimg.cc/GpMfYBjM/2.jpg

Details here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered%20Tools%20and%20Machinery/WixeyDROForHammerBandsaw.html

... and recently on the router table (this one flips out of the way)...

https://i.postimg.cc/1RKw8xB7/1-D7-BE8-DD-9673-43-D3-A0-C9-01-AFADD9-DAED.png

https://i.postimg.cc/mkVHJMhW/140-BF198-3-F35-4293-A369-C87-DC2-B27-ACD.png

A bit of a fan ..? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek