PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth anything ?

Gary Jacuk
01-08-2006, 2:37 PM
Remember the old saying "..... and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee." Probably $4.00 now at Starbucks. Anyway one of my personal resolutions this year is to see that many of the things I have that don't get used go to someone who will make use of them. I'd give them away if I could trust the sincerity of the recipient. Among those "things" is a great old Biesemeyer type fence on my old table saw with an interesting story. Back in the late 70's I got involved with a bunch of guys who wanted to form a woodworkers club. We got together to share ideas and information, and one of those ideas was that someone begged, borrowed, or stole a set of plans for us to build our own Beisemeyer type fences, which we did one Saturday. Must have been 8 or 10 of us hard at work and by the end of the day we all had our fences, which in comparison, were just as good if not better than the original. I used mine up until last year when I bought a new Unisaw.
The group was the Sonoma County Woodworkers Guild and if my feeble memory serves me correctly one of those fences went to a struggling young woodworker named David Marks. If I only knew then what the future held in store......
Anyway, just wanted to share a story and if anyone is in need of a fence, let me know.

Gary

Jim Dunn
01-08-2006, 5:15 PM
Gary why don't you contact David Marks and ask him if he has any need to start a museum of sorts. I don't have a need for it on my crftsmn saw, but the nostalgic value might be of interest to him.