PDA

View Full Version : Starting a hollow auger without a spoke pointer

Jason Buresh
04-01-2021, 2:05 PM
Hello all. I have a project coming up that will require me to create a round tenon using one of my hollow augers. My hollow augers are not the adjustable kind, and i have sizes 5/8 and 7/8. I will be using the 7/8" for this project.

I admittedly have never used the hollow augers yet. Nor have I purchased a spoke pointer yet.

I understand this is similar to shaping a giant pencil, but after thinking it through, if i shave it down with a knife or spokeshave and am not completely even all the way around the tenon could be off center. And seeing as I have to do this on both sides of the dowel, this could be an issue.

Is there a way to start a hollow auger accurately without a spoke pointer?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jim Koepke
04-01-2021, 4:22 PM
And seeing as I have to do this on both sides of the dowel, this could be an issue.

How big is the dowel you are using to start?

With square stock, one possibility is to cut the ends to square a hair bigger than the tenon desired.

You may be able to 'pre-size' the dowel with a rasp. Carefully take one skewed stroke at a time. Turn the dowel after each stroke. It is easy to hold a dowel by boring a hole in a block of wood the same size as the dowel. Then cut it in half through the center of the hole. The saw kerf will effectively make the hole slightly smaller and will hold the dowel securely in a vise. If the vise isn't too tight you should be able to make a rasp cut, turn the dowel then repeat until you have gone all around. (the mulberry bush… )

jtk

Alan Schwabacher
04-01-2021, 6:11 PM
If you make a starting place using a drawknife, you can make a fine tenon, but it can be tricky to be sure it's straight and centered. You might begin by making things where that's not critical, and develop the knack before you need it.

Jason Buresh
04-01-2021, 8:43 PM
How big is the dowel you are using to start?

With square stock, one possibility is to cut the ends to square a hair bigger than the tenon desired.

You may be able to 'pre-size' the dowel with a rasp. Carefully take one skewed stroke at a time. Turn the dowel after each stroke. It is easy to hold a dowel by boring a hole in a block of wood the same size as the dowel. Then cut it in half through the center of the hole. The saw kerf will effectively make the hole slightly smaller and will hold the dowel securely in a vise. If the vise isn't too tight you should be able to make a rasp cut, turn the dowel then repeat until you have gone all around. (the mulberry bush… )

jtk

Jim,

I am considering using a 1" or 1-1/4" dowel.

That trick with the block is pretty genius.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2021, 12:54 AM
Jim,

I am considering using a 1" or 1-1/4" dowel.

That trick with the block is pretty genius.

It is surely older than me.

My wording was a little sloppy above:

It is easy to hold a dowel by boring a hole in a block of wood the same size as the dowel.

It should have been; It is easy to hold a dowel by boring a hole the same size as the dowel in a block of wood.

If the wood has a little flex it doesn't even have to be cut the whole way through.

jtk

Lee Schierer
04-02-2021, 8:25 AM
Mark the center on the end of your square stock and drill a pilot hole for a wood screw. The cut a short length from a dowel the same size as your tenon. Drill a hole down the length of the dowel on the centerline and attach the dowel to your square stock with a long wood screw. You can use this dowel as the guide for your cutter.