PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw Biesemeyer/UniFence Replacement Tape Accuracy

Jeff Ramsey
04-01-2021, 1:29 PM
My early 80s vintage Unisaw tape on the fence bar is getting hard to read. I was going to replace it with a Starrett or a Delta, and am hesitating because of comments about accuracy issues with both (the original tape is accurate). Does anyone have any experience with replacement tapes on a Biesemeyer or a Delta UniFence style bar as far as accuracy? I’m seriously considering a DRO, but I’d like the tape to be readable as a back up.

Bruce Wrenn
04-01-2021, 8:53 PM
On the Biese clones I have built, I used Starrett tapes. One trick for setting the cursier correctly is to cut a piece, measure it accurately and set cursier to that distance. Once and done. In my Biese clone box of goodies, I have Starrett, Rockler, and Woodworker's Supply tapes. The Rockler was supposed to be black on white, but came black on yellow

Mike Henderson
04-01-2021, 11:15 PM
I replaced the tape on my mine, also, and I think I used a Starrett tape. If I recall, it wasn't very expensive.

But mostly, I measure between the fence and the blade with a rule to set up my cuts.

Mike

Cary Falk
04-02-2021, 7:34 AM
I have used several brands in the past. I don't recall the brands but they may have been Kreg, Starret, etc. I have never had an issue. I get the metal ones so they can't stretch while you are putting them on.

Bradley Gray
04-02-2021, 8:27 AM
McMaster-Carr has a large selection.

Jeff Ramsey
04-02-2021, 8:48 AM
I ordered one from McMaster-Carr and I’ll try that. Thank you all for your responses.

roger wiegand
04-02-2021, 5:26 PM
When I switched the shop to metric last year I used Starret tapes. They seem to be fine.