PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Device????

John Terefenko
04-01-2021, 12:25 AM
I always had only a desk top computer so have very little knowledge of mobile devices and probably the terminology too so bear with me. What would be better to get, laptop, chromebook, Ipad or something else and please not an Iphone. What makes one better than the other and maybe a recommendation as to brand. Thanks.

Aaron Rosenthal
04-01-2021, 2:21 AM
I use iPads, windows computers, MacBooks but have never had a chrome book.
One colleague has a chrome book and can’t set it up to use a hp printer - I know it’s probably user error, but I’m not around enough to sit down and set it up. Evidently it doesn’t play nice with the network printer either.
My iPad and all the iPhones in the house can’t find my HP network printer. I’ve tried, believe me.
My 2 Lenovo computers, both laptops, do what they need to, every time. I’m running windows 10 professional on both.
You’ll get lots of opinions about all the platforms. One of the things you haven’t told us, is what you want to do with it.

Lisa Starr
04-01-2021, 7:02 AM
It depends on how you want to use the device. I run an Acer Laptop computer with Windows 10. My husband had an Android based tablet until it just died and he chose a HP Chrome Book for a replacement. As I run accounting software for his business as well as Fusion 360 for project design and 3D printer files it is important to me to use Windows as there are many, many applications I can choose from. Hubby on the other hand, primarily uses his device for surfing and email. His Chrome Book is quick and responsive. He has commented since switching to the Chrome Book that it is easier to surf using the keyboard instead of the touchscreen.

roger wiegand
04-01-2021, 8:48 AM
Do you need to make phone calls on it? How do you feel about the need for a keyboard?

I'm the desktop support guy for our household and I finally purged the place of Windows and Android (leaving us with Apple and Linux based devices) and my workload went down by a factor of 10. Everything works, everything talks to each other. I can print from my phone (HP laser printer), my pictures, email, and web bookmarks show up everywhere without my intervention, I can do texts and phone calls from my laptop. Everything backs up to a NAS and to the cloud. I can put the output from my computer, phone or my wife's pad onto the TV with a simple click. It all just works with minimal intervention on my part.

So, if you do things that involve real computation (unlikely, I'm gathering), depend on desktop apps, or like having an integrated real keyboard then you probably want a laptop. If you primarily surf the web and do email then a pad can be a very attractive, very portable option. (the voice recognition on iPads works very well, eliminating much of the need for a keyboard for text. For ultimate portability, a smartphone is fine. An oversize phone blurs those categories, but loses the convenience of fitting readily in your pocket.

Some web sites, like this forum, work much better on a laptop than on a pad or phone. That will change over time, but we're still in a transitional period. There is rare, mostly specialty, software that is platform-specific. If you depend on one of those applications (eg to run a CNC or laser cutter) then that will drive your choice.

So, it really depends on what you need to do and how you work. In any of those classes I have no regrets over choosing the Apple devices. The extra upfront cost for me is blown away by the downstream ease of use and integration.

Stan Calow
04-01-2021, 9:38 AM
Agreeing with what Roger said. Depends on what you want to do with it. I have a laptop (MAC Airbook) and wife has an iPad. I got a laptop so I could have a real keypad to type documents and manage files easier. Her iPad is a touchscreen so you can do surfing easier. iPad is a bit more portable. Neither has ability to read DVDs/CDs if you have a bunch of old stuff to transfer - you'll need an external reader. I'd almost say that iPad is made to work while in your hands (like a big phone) while laptop is made to sit on desk/table/lap. If you want to read books, do Facebook, or just social media, iPad is better.

We've converted to all Apple stuff, despite concerns over world domination, and are happy with the compatibility between products. Windows 10 killed any further interest in PCs.

glenn bradley
04-01-2021, 10:25 AM
IMHO if you want a 'computer' that will best mirror your desktop experience, you want a laptop. Depending on the type of user you are (gadget and peripheral requirements) the new habit of omitting, on portables, the connectors your familiar with can be a challenge. The absence of a USB type A connector is not a show stopper, just a consideration.

When I want to use a computer I go to the desk. I do a lot of computing away from the desk. PADs and other 'gameboy' devices are handy but, not for what I consider serious work. None of these wonders are bad (well, OK, some are), they just vary in value with how you plan to use them.

For mobile computing I want a decent keyboard (I don't care about a 10-key but others do) and a good pointing device. I'll take a touch-pad over a ball or a nipple-mouse but that is very user specific; a small optical mouse in my pocket trumps any built in pointing device on any laptop I have ever seen and I've used them since they came with handles. :D

Jim Becker
04-01-2021, 10:48 AM
When I want a true mobile device for viewing Internet accessible things like forums, web sites, etc., I have an iPad. The screen size and quality is very readable. That added to the stability, consistency and security of iOS makes it attractive for this purpose. (I will be clear that I use the entire Apple ecosystem other than for my CNC machine that requires Windows). I certainly have used the laptop format for travel when I needed full computing capabilities for certain applications or need my files along for the ride, but otherwise, the iPad tablet is a great tool.

My normal computer is a "laptop" (MacBook Pro) but I use it primarily at my desk (99% of the time) with a dual 27" monitor setup. I like big monitors, I cannot lie.... :) :D

Alan Rutherford
04-01-2021, 11:36 AM
IMHO if you want a 'computer' that will best mirror your desktop experience, you want a laptop....

I agree, although I wouldn't rule out another desktop unless you need the mobility. In our house one of us has a degree in Computer Science and the other is a former IBM Systems Engineer. She uses a 10-year-old Gateway desktop. Mine is homebuilt and 2-3 years younger **. Both originally used Windows but now run OpenSuse Linux. I'm not going to try to talk you into Linux right now.

I don't think laptops make good desktops although adding a real keyboard, monitor and mouse help a lot. On the other hand, desktops aren't portable at all if that matters to you.

There are times I'd like to have a tablet (running Android) for easier web surfing while sitting at the table or watching TV, but we get along without it. IMO cell phones are too small for decent web access unless that's all you have.

If you get rid of your old computer, someone you don't trust might end up with it. Consider physically destroying the hard disk so none of the information can be retrieved. Simply deleting things is not enough. The old PC isn't worth anything anyway although you might be able to use the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

[** Edit: Both computers have newer and bigger monitors. Mine has 2 of them. The screens and the web connection seem as important as anything else these days.]

John Terefenko
04-02-2021, 12:38 AM
This is all good info. Knowing what I want is not something I know and thus the question. I have no idea what these all can do. Surfing the net is a must. Eventually will want it for doing shows so that I can show examples of other work I do for interested customers when I do not have inventory. What are the devices that look like they are carried in a thin leather case and when you want to use them you just fold them out?? They look smaller than a laptop and look like a book. I have big hands and stubby fingers so typing is a concern. Yes sometime down the road I will need to upgrade my computer. Just hearing so many bad stories about Windows 10. Afraid if I do buy and put an older system in that will get outdated and not supported any more. I may need to just walk around in BestBuy and pick the geekers brains and see what all these things look like. Trying to gather some info so I do not sound like a complete idiot. Thanks everyone.

Curt Harms
04-02-2021, 6:06 AM
For pitching jobs an iPad seems like it'd be the way to go. I'm not a huge fan of Apple, I don't care for their "walled garden" approach though it has its benefits. I find it a pain to move things - photos and such to "the outside world". I guess an iCloud account would be the best option. I carry two phones - yeah it's a pain - but I tend to prefer the Android. Company wants me to carry an iPhone. Typing on an onscreen keyboard is frustrating, I bought a folding bluetooth keyboard which works out reasonably well. For doing things like this - posting on Sawmill Creek - a desktop or laptop is my preferred device. Special software needs? Not much choice there, buy what the software will run on.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-02-2021, 7:07 AM
I have a laptop, tablet (Surface) and two Android smart phones. I also have Samsung Smart TV's It is nice that they can all communicate with each other. I find something on the internet, on my phone or tablet and I can push a button to have it appear on my large screen TV set. I can use a phone take a video of something and text it to my wife, or e=mail it to a buddy or put it up on the TV for a group to watch. In fact, before I retired, I did some evidence this way for court trials. My 92 yr old father despite being very mechanically inclined all his life, is just not digitally inclined. ie he sees little he could want in electronics and digital devices. My 90 yr old mother, until her vision got too bad was quite the computer saavy senior. Trading recipes, sending emails, making vacation arrangements etc over the computer and smart phone.. One hot summer Saturday morning, I hit a groundhog hole and busted a bearing on my front axle of my tractor, while raking hay. While out in the field, sitting in the shade of the tractor, I pulled up a parts diagram of the tractor, got the part number, searched the inventory of the local dealers, found one in stock, paid for the part and had them put the part out side in the bushes, because I would be unable to get there before they closed at noon. All on my smart phone. Had I not been able to get the part on the tractor that day, I would not have finished baling hay before the rain the following Monday. I literally saved thousands of dollars of hay because of a smart phone.

Took my wife to a fabric store for quilting supplies. While we shopped, she used her smart phone joined their "customer club" and got a first time coupon by email on her phone for 25% off. (Of nearly $150 of material.) Even if we never go back to that store, it was worth the discount and all in the space of a few minutes while shopping. We get a check in the mail, she takes a picture and deposits the check without ever leaving the house. She can order take out and pay for it while I am driving home and it is ready when I get to the restaurant and all I need do is pullup out front and they bring it to me.

I do miss the interpersonal contact of seeing the people at the bank or the restaurant, but this sure beats driving, parking, ordering and waiting.

Jim Becker
04-02-2021, 8:32 AM
I know I spoke of iPad previously because, well...it's my favorite.

But there is one potential choice that would give you "tablet" when you want/need it and "laptop" when that's the call...Microsoft Surface. LIghtweight, portable, fully capable as it's a Windows machine. While I'm no longer a Windows user other than for my CNC, Surface is indeed a pretty nice setup, particularly the more premium versions.

Jason Roehl
04-02-2021, 8:55 AM
Jim just mentioned the Surface, but the iPad Pro has had mouse capability for a little while, too, making it very similar. I have not tried adding a mouse to my iPad yet (Pro, 10.5”, bought in late 2017, I think), but I do have a Logitech combination case and keyboard that works quite well, and the keyboard is magnetically attached, so it’s quick to remove. The case then has a back support that allows for a wide range of tilt angles.

Larry Frank
04-02-2021, 8:59 AM
I use a Kindle Fire and am very happy. It does everything I need and significantly cheaper than an iPad. I also use my Samsung Galaxy for a lot kf things. I use it for music, audio books, reading, etc. I use my Kindle to read forums.

I have a Dell PC and Dell laptop.

People seem to be either Apple or PC /Android. And of course, whatever they have is best.

To often, people ask this type of question and do not ask the most important question. What are you going to use it for?

Keith Outten
04-02-2021, 9:02 AM
I use an iPad Pro when I am visiting potential customers. I load the highest resolution pictures I have and use a slide show or view specific pictures depending on customer interest. My slide show generates additional work almost all the time because I am capable of making more than just signs. I also use my iPad when I travel to access SawMill Creek and use email and I have a keyboard and mouse when I need them. FWIW I can't use my iPhone for web browsing or to send email. My fingers just can't function on a small device but I can read email.

In my office I use an iMac and in my shop I use a Windows PC to run my CNC Router and Laser Engraver.

John Terefenko
04-02-2021, 2:26 PM
Jim just mentioned the Surface, but the iPad Pro has had mouse capability for a little while, too, making it very similar. I have not tried adding a mouse to my iPad yet (Pro, 10.5”, bought in late 2017, I think), but I do have a Logitech combination case and keyboard that works quite well, and the keyboard is magnetically attached, so it’s quick to remove. The case then has a back support that allows for a wide range of tilt angles.
This sounds interesting. I think Keith just mentioned it too. Will look into this.

Now the other question comes into play. WiFi I assume is the need. How and where do I get this and are there packages that you select??

Jim Becker
04-02-2021, 2:30 PM
John, you will need to have WiFi available for anything that gets done online, although iPad and some other devices are also available with support for Cellular data on the carrier of your choice.

David Bassett
04-02-2021, 4:59 PM
John, you will need to have WiFi available for anything that gets done online, although iPad and some other devices are also available with support for Cellular data on the carrier of your choice.

An alternative to Cellular enabled tablet or notebook computer is to use a phone (& plan) that allows your phone to function as a hotspot. This has proven very adequate for what we do when away from our (notebook) computers.

In fact, on a family vacation out of the country (so our phones didn't work or were crippled), the extended family rented several dedicated hotspots (same thing, but no talk or text functionality.) My wife, two adult daughters, and I shared one. I never noticed a problem and I'm sure movies were streamed by one daughter and the other had a work project and was uploading high res drawings. (None of the other families expressed problems with their hotspots either.) I wouldn't want to interactively game with this set up, but for email, webpages, eBook downloads, YouTube & Netflix video (at tablet resolution) it worked well.

To do this you enter a mode and basically connect whatever you want to your phone using WiFi and let the phone handle the cellular data transfer. Last time I looked this was pretty common with most phones and the several US cellular plans allowing it out of the box. (Many years ago it seems like most phones didn't have the functionality installed and most of the plans forbid doing it. If you were discouraged once, check again.)

Jim Becker
04-02-2021, 8:20 PM
That's true, David. When I was traveling extensively for business, I did use my phone as a hotspot for security reasons, rather than "free" WiFi in hotels, etc. Not everyone's carrier account (and sometimes phone) supports this, however. I don't pay extra for it on T-Mo currently, for example. because my need disappeared upon retirement.

roger wiegand
04-03-2021, 7:49 AM
When traveling we typically buy a country specific data-only SIM for my wife's ipad than use it as a hotspot for our phones and laptop if we bring one. They tend to be cheaper than phone SIMs for relatively large amounts of data.

John K Jordan
04-03-2021, 11:25 AM
I agree with Lisa, determine what you want to do with it.

I recently set up a desktop in the shop with dual monitors and good audio system. I also use a laptop, and an iPad. I put in the desktop to support 3D printing but found I use it for far more. It's a joy to use, excellent at video editing or anything I throw at it. I'm typing on it now.

As for portable/mobile:

LAPTOP: A windows-based laptop has been my primary computer over the 15 years since I retired and shut down my software and graphics design studio - doesn't take up much space, not to hard to take on vacation and such, and powerful enough to substitute as a desktop for cad and graphics and even video editing. I'd recommend one with plenty of SSD (solid state drive) space and lots of memory. I run the same software on both and keep data synchronized with the desktop. Limitations compared to are screen size (if you are used to a desktop with a large screen), battery life away from an AC outlet, keyboard compromises.
My last three laptops were Dell, the most recent and most powerful a refurbished Dell business laptop.

TABLET: I'm on my 3rd iPad - I use it a lot for wifi internet access, news, occasional videos, weather, Facetime with the grandkids, pandemic zoom meetings, streamed events, and as an art tablet with the amazing Apple pencil. Extensive typing with a touch-screen keyboard is a pain so I got a physical keyboard with trackpad that snaps on if I want to use it for email, messages, and such. It is so inherently portable to carry around the house and takes up almost no space. Fits easily in any briefcase or backpack making it easier than the laptop to take on airplanes, car trips, etc. My Lovely Bride fills hers with maps and plans when we travel, especially overseas. I can monitor my security cameras even from the middle of Italy. Limitations are screen size, the on-screen keyboard, applications, memory, data space, and like a laptop, access away from wifi. Also, if used to a windows desktop you might be frustrated with the way Apple dumbs things down, hides data, limits system control.
My oldest son uses his iPad with his video/photography business when away from his studio workstation and prefers an iPad Pro; the iPad Air models are close in features but cost less.

If you read a lot, some portable devices work will with Kindle apps. And at least some Kindles like the Fire are advertised as android tablets for internet access but IMO worst than useless for that. BTW, I have an actual android tablets but don't like it compared to the iPad and haven't even charged it in a year.

Your apparent opinion of a smartphone as a general-purpose mobile device is like mine. I don't use it for web or email or even GPS or weather except rarely. I mostly use it for phone, text messages, camera. (And sky maps!)

One thing about mobile - if you want to use a device away from wifi you may want to get one with cellular access and pay an additional monthly access fee. We bought one like this but found cellular access wasn't as necessary as we imagined and turned it off. When traveling we were usually close to wifi. Depending on your carrier it may be possible to access the internet away from wifi through your phone.

BTW, if you haven't done so, consider setting up a printer on wifi. We print from any desktop or mobile device in and around the shop or house.

JKJ

Larry Frank
04-03-2021, 7:52 PM
I use my Kindle Fire for internet access and works fine. I am confused by "worst than useless" comment. I use my Kindle in the shop, while working on a car, etc. I use the videos on it to watch how to videos.

John K Jordan
04-03-2021, 10:10 PM
I use my Kindle Fire for internet access and works fine. I am confused by "worst than useless" comment. I use my Kindle in the shop, while working on a car, etc. I use the videos on it to watch how to videos.

Internet access is very slow over WiFi. It's fine for reading.

So maybe there is something wrong with mine.

David Bassett
04-04-2021, 12:14 AM
Internet access is very slow over WiFi. It's fine for reading.

So maybe there is something wrong with mine.

FWIW: Many versions have been offered, probably a older lower model versus a newer higher model. I remember the reviews of the first model, seems like it was pretty awful except for reading color books from your Kindle library. (Regular Kindle was crisper and had much better battery life for B&W books and a real Android tablet was significantly better for anything requiring CPU processing. IIRC.)

Anuj Prateek
04-04-2021, 1:37 AM
I always had only a desk top computer so have very little knowledge of mobile devices and probably the terminology too so bear with me. What would be better to get, laptop, chromebook, Ipad or something else and please not an Iphone. What makes one better than the other and maybe a recommendation as to brand. Thanks.

I am going to assume you need a general purpose device.

I would suggest getting a small screen (<15") laptop with Windows 10. Spend a little extra and get one where you can upgrade RAM and Disk. I can elaborate on this if you decide to go laptop route. Along with laptop, buy a simple dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse. This will allow you to retain desktop experience and have a mobile device.

I use two laptops. At work it's HP and for home it's a Dell. Both make good machines but I like Dell more aesthetically. Work laptop gets replaced every 3-4 years and home laptop 5-6 years.

This is my desk setup. I swap laptops based on what I am doing. My dad switched from desktop to laptop and uses similar setup with single external monitor. Goes without saying, add external devices only if you need desktop feel.

Larry Frank
04-04-2021, 7:16 AM
I have no idea what is wrong with John's Kindle.

I just ran a speed test with mine and 240 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload. This is the service I am paying for. I also have a mesh wifi system.

I can watch movies with it and no lags.

My Kindle is a couple years old and is a Fire HDX 8th generation and the new ones are 10th generation.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-04-2021, 8:59 AM
I get a magazine for "plain" communities and was dumbfounded to see that many Amish and Mennonite have computers and both text and email capability without full internet connections. Must be some sort of cellular option. Since some Amish sects have permitted off grid electrical power systems their world has been revolutionized.

John Terefenko
04-04-2021, 9:17 PM
Thank you everyone. Just to let you know I am reading all of this. I will look into many of these options for sure. I like the idea to be able to use a keyboard because that is what I am use to. A real mouse too.

Roger Feeley
04-05-2021, 9:25 AM
I guess I could say that I have three computers.

—I have the big desktop with duel 30” monitors that takes a while to boot up. I used that for work before I retired and fire it up once a week.
— I have my smartphone with which I have a love hate relationship. It stays with me.
— I have an iPad for what I call “casual computing.” I use it much more than the others. When we are watching a movie and wonder about some actor, it’s easy to look them up. Or maybe I want something and get on the iPad to order it online.

ive never tried a different tablet. We’ve had the iPad for around 7 years and it’s still going strong other than the battery.

Curt Harms
04-05-2021, 2:56 PM
I agree, although I wouldn't rule out another desktop unless you need the mobility. In our house one of us has a degree in Computer Science and the other is a former IBM Systems Engineer. She uses a 10-year-old Gateway desktop. Mine is homebuilt and 2-3 years younger **. Both originally used Windows but now run OpenSuse Linux. I'm not going to try to talk you into Linux right now.

I don't think laptops make good desktops although adding a real keyboard, monitor and mouse help a lot. On the other hand, desktops aren't portable at all if that matters to you.

There are times I'd like to have a tablet (running Android) for easier web surfing while sitting at the table or watching TV, but we get along without it. IMO cell phones are too small for decent web access unless that's all you have.

If you get rid of your old computer, someone you don't trust might end up with it. Consider physically destroying the hard disk so none of the information can be retrieved. Simply deleting things is not enough. The old PC isn't worth anything anyway although you might be able to use the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

[** Edit: Both computers have newer and bigger monitors. Mine has 2 of them. The screens and the web connection seem as important as anything else these days.]

Re passing a computer on simply deleting the data is not enough. I've used DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) on spinning hard drives. It can take some time depending on the size of the hard drive but is approved for DOD wipes among other standards. I don't know about SSDs, I wouldn't be surprised if those are easier to make irrecoverable.

Erik Loza
04-07-2021, 2:30 PM
Tablets are the way to go, IMHO. My work laptop is loaded with all sorts of product demo software but it's so easy to just hand someone my ipad (cellular data) and let them swipe around to their hearts' content, make notes with the apple pencil, etc. The laptop takes time to boot up, passwords, logins, tether to phone, etc. When it comes to the mobile experience, I think a tablet is the experience folks are asking for.

Erik

Jim Matthews
04-07-2021, 3:10 PM
+1 on a reasonably priced Android tablet about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

You'll quickly get used to hunt and peck typing.

A word of caution : if you engage in online financial transactions with the tablet, don't take it out of your house.

Curt Harms
04-07-2021, 3:34 PM
+1 on a reasonably priced Android tablet about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

You'll quickly get used to hunt and peck typing.

A word of caution : if you engage in online financial transactions with the tablet, don't take it out of your house.

One should be able to install VPN software on a phone or tablet. That should add help some with the wifi security issues. I don't do anything of financial significance on anything portable. Online orders, okay because credit cards offer fraud protection. I also do something a bit unconventional for transactions I want secure. I have 2 separate operating system dual boot. One is for everyday use, the other is only for connecting to credit card accounts, bank accounts, things like that. This is not a Windows operating system. I figure the less time that OS spends on the internet and avoiding dodgy sites the less likely to have something unfortunate happen.