View Full Version : Mirka

Steve Rozmiarek
03-31-2021, 9:06 PM
Finally bought a Deros, I've been using Dewalt, Makitas and various others, I'm amazed at the difference. I should have bought this years ago. This is a 6". Any negatives to these (except price)?

David Zaret
03-31-2021, 10:38 PM
i have a bunch of sanders, including a bunch of festool. the mirka deros and deos are my favorite two sanders, hands-down. the deros is just awesome, especially with cubitron paper.

--- dz

Finally bought a Deros, I've been using Dewalt, Makitas and various others, I'm amazed at the difference. I should have bought this years ago. This is a 6". Any negatives to these (except price)?

Chris Schoenthal
04-01-2021, 12:05 AM
I've been thinking about getting a Deros, but have heard horror stories about an electric cord problem.
Anyone experience this?

Steve Rozmiarek
04-01-2021, 12:47 AM
I've been thinking about getting a Deros, but have heard horror stories about an electric cord problem.
Anyone experience this?

What is the problem, I haven't heard of one? I had heard that there was a hose compatibility issue when using festool hoses, but my little festool hose worked just fine to hook to the ct26. Someplace I'd seen a Mirka with a transformer (I think) in the cord, this Deros does not have any such thing, just a cord that solidly attaches to the sander. It's as long as that festool hose, and plugs directly into the auxiliary plug on the vac. All good so far.

My wood supplier started carrying Mirka, they talked me into autonet instead of abranet. Said it's exactly the same, but a little cheaper. Figured I'd give it a try, too soon to rate, but it the 150 I hit that hard maple test board with sure worked fast and did an excellent job.

David Z, I'm not familiar with cubitron paper, is it a Mirka product?

Derek Cohen
04-01-2021, 5:43 AM
I have the Ceros, which has a separate transformer. The disadvantage is that there is one extra item to connect. However, the advantage is that the machine is smaller and lighter.

I use Mirka Abranet mesh. This is fantastic, and the dust control is incredible!

When I first got it, I used it with a Festool hose (below). The Mirka hose is so much lighter, and this is the one I now use.

https://i.postimg.cc/G2Ky09Hc/Mirka_Ceros.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
04-01-2021, 7:57 AM
I use the Deros, it’s great. No problems.

roger wiegand
04-01-2021, 8:23 AM
I bought a 6" Deros when it first came out. After several years of use apparently a number of internal parts in the power transmission broke. I sent it back for repair (out of warranty) and they sent me back a brand new one, no charge. So, I'm sad that it broke (I don't use it all that heavily), but the customer service response was fantastic.

In all, I'd rather have an on-off switch than the paddle activation (I'm always triggering it while trying to change sandpaper), but it is a fantastic sander to use. I find the hook and loop attachment often fails when running at top speed with coarse papers like 80 or 120 grit (I use Abranet, so not actually papers), so I generally use it dialed back a notch. You will want to use an intermediate pad as they recommend, as the aggressive action is hard on the velcro.

Prashun Patel
04-01-2021, 8:35 AM
Roger, do you use an interface pad between the paper and the foam core pad? I do this and have no trouble sanding at high speeds with 60 grit on my ceros. For other reasons, I get better results at slower speeds with very coarse paper, but when I occasionally go higher, the interface pad seems to work better and is more disposable than the actual pad.

George Yetka
04-01-2021, 8:39 AM
Anyone experience this?

THe only problem is that it doesnt use festool cord. And if you are on a festool extractor its kind of annoying, especially if you are working off a long hose with cord wrapped together like I am.

I actually bought mine from europe in 110. It came with a strange plug on it but I rewired the connector on the unit to a festool plug-it. This worked out great. I was scared to ditch the ground but it is running fine i have a few hours on it with no issues. The only reason I bought it this way is because I got the kit with 5 and 6" pads, a mirka hose, 4-5" abranet, and 204 6" abranet. All for about 100 less than the best price i found for the sander alone.

I had been running 150 rotex and 125 ets ec. Mirka is by far more comfortable I just have to get over putting sander down on its top.

George Yetka
04-01-2021, 9:06 AM
Roger, do you use an interface pad between the paper and the foam core pad? I do this and have no trouble sanding at high speeds with 60 grit on my ceros. For other reasons, I get better results at slower speeds with very coarse paper, but when I occasionally go higher, the interface pad seems to work better and is more disposable than the actual pad.

I had started with this installed but found it hindered dust collection.

Prashun Patel
04-01-2021, 9:09 AM
Hmm, not at all for me. I've been using mine for > 4 years. No issues with dust collection whatsoever. If the holes are aligned there is zero diff.

Derek Cohen
04-01-2021, 9:31 AM
I'd rather have an on-off switch than the paddle activation (I'm always triggering it while trying to change sandpaper)

Roger, you have to get into the habit of switching it off when you put it down. Otherwise it is so easy to touch the paddle and set it running.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Drew
04-01-2021, 12:24 PM
I just got the AirVantage model, which is essentially the same sander...... I've been using it on and off for about a month now. I had to buy the Deros threaded hose adapter to use my Festool Midi, and it works, but the 'new' Festool hose ID is 17mm. It's a bit of a wresting match to get the hose over the Deros hose adapter. The hose adapter sales pitch claims to work with Festool hoses, but I'm pretty sure they are talking about the older, 19mm hose.

I think I may end up buying a different hose. One specifically for use with this sander. Kind of a PITA though, seeing how I really don't 'need' to be tripping over another hose.

The paddle switch is nice, and not so nice at the same time. Convenient and comfortable, but it also restricts freedom to hold the sander anyway a person may desire that you have with a toggle type switch. I'm still getting used to it...... And, changing paper without hitting the paddle is nearly impossible, at least it is for me. So I'm training myself to just turn the thing off when changing paper.

The AirVantage also came with a 5 hole pad, and all my paper is 8 hole. I bought the Mirka 8 hole and life is good there now.....

Prashun Patel
04-01-2021, 12:31 PM
I have the Porter Cable version of this hose:

POWERTEC 70175 Dust Collection Hose with Fittings Plus Two Reducers

The end of my hose threads right into the CEROS adapter.

Bernie Kopfer
04-01-2021, 2:37 PM
I've used the Deros for several years with the Mirka hose. Pain to have to change the hose but the Fein hose does not stay on well for extended use, for quick jobs its ok. I use Abernet exclusively on the Deros with the protector pad and only wish I had bought the 6 inch model.

roger wiegand
04-02-2021, 7:35 AM
Roger, you have to get into the habit of switching it off when you put it down. Otherwise it is so easy to touch the paddle and set it running.

Absolutely. Sadly at this point in life, training myself to new habits is increasingly difficult. The switch in mine takes a fairly determined push so I have tended not to use. it.

roger wiegand
04-02-2021, 7:39 AM

I've been using these: https://www.mirka.com/Interface-150mm-67H-5mm-5Pack-8295650111/

If there's a better choice I'd be happy to try them.

Brian Tymchak
04-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Hmm, not at all for me. I've been using mine for > 4 years. No issues with dust collection whatsoever. If the holes are aligned there is zero diff.

Agree with Prashun. I've never had any issue with the the interface pad obstructing dust collection.

Prashun Patel
04-02-2021, 10:29 AM
go to 2sand.com

It's under:
mirka-5-abranet-pad-protector-qty-5

These look slightly diff from yours but this is what I bought. Price was good too.

Michael Drew
04-02-2021, 12:13 PM
I've used the Deros for several years with the Mirka hose. Pain to have to change the hose but the Fein hose does not stay on well for extended use, for quick jobs its ok. I use Abernet exclusively on the Deros with the protector pad and only wish I had bought the 6 inch model.

Is this the hose you use? https://2sand.com/mirka-4-meters-vacuum-hose-min6519411/

I have a Bosch hose that I tried using prior to buying the Festool Midi. Does anyone know if the Mirka hose end adapter be bought separately? I think it might fit the Bosch hose I already have.

Patrick McCarthy
04-02-2021, 2:33 PM
of those with the 6 inch, do you have the 650CV 5mm orbit (MID 65020 caus) or the 625CV 2.5 (MID 64520 caus)? Which would you recommend for cabinet and furniture work??

Thank you, Patrick

Terry Therneau
04-02-2021, 5:39 PM
I use a Ceros with the Fein vac and its hose. I originally used the Fein rubber adapter with a multi-step end, but later found that one wrap of tape around the sander's port makes it fit just fine, sans adapter, which is intead used for the Domino.

Its been a good sander

Bernie Kopfer
04-02-2021, 5:57 PM
Is this the hose you use? https://2sand.com/mirka-4-meters-vacuum-hose-min6519411/

I have a Bosch hose that I tried using prior to buying the Festool Midi. Does anyone know if the Mirka hose end adapter be bought separately? I think it might fit the Bosch hose I already have.

i do not know if that is the hose I have. Mine came with the sander as a package deal. It is a narrower diameter then the Fein hose and the end is made to slip on the Deros easily and tightly

John Erickson
04-02-2021, 7:15 PM
I have a couple Mirka Deros 6" with different orbits, I use for site work installing Corian acyrlic solid surface. I use Abranet ACE and Abralon abrasives attached to the shop dust collection system and absolute love the lack of airborne dust. I wish Mirka was available 20 years ago.
In the shop I use Dynabrade air sanders of different orbits with Mirka backup pads and interface pads. Personally I prefer the air but for site work the Deros is awesome. Very well balanced and can be used using finger control only.
As a woodworking cabinet shop that build my own doors from rough lumber. Mirka abrasives does not work well for raised panel doors, it tears up the edges of the disc causing swirls in the finish. PSA works better for doors!

Patrick McCarthy
04-02-2021, 9:05 PM
John, thank you much for the practical insight. All of my doors are raised panels, so good to find out now rather than towards the end of the project.
Best, Patrick

Steve Rozmiarek
04-03-2021, 9:59 AM
Agree with Prashun. I've never had any issue with the the interface pad obstructing dust collection.

When I put the pad on mine, it took a little fiddling because the holes only line up in one position. Lots of holes, took a few tries to find the right position.

David Stone (CT)
04-03-2021, 7:51 PM
of those with the 6 inch, do you have the 650CV 5mm orbit (MID 65020 caus) or the 625CV 2.5 (MID 64520 caus)? Which would you recommend for cabinet and furniture work??

I have the same question: Are people using the 5 mm orbit or the 2.5 mm models, and for what? Which is preferable as an 80/100 grit and up all-arounder, assuming no need for heavy stock removal (my belt sander and elderly Rotex take care of that). I'm assuming it's the 5 mm but is that correct?

Dan Friedrichs
04-03-2021, 8:02 PM
Maybe a dumb question, here, but why not the Festool ETS EC 125 which is ~$200 cheaper?

Steve Rozmiarek
04-03-2021, 8:59 PM
Maybe a dumb question, here, but why not the Festool ETS EC 125 which is ~$200 cheaper?

Just my take, I'm underwhelmed by the Festool tools I have, so when the option to just have my wood supplier throw a Mirka on the truck, I took it. My price wasn't $200 more for the 6", I paid $600 for the sander and 4 boxes of autonet, and two backer pads, so sander only probably has the Deros at $75 more or so. I wanted the Deros ergonomics too instead of the "standard" electric ROS feel. The Deros really does feel like an air sander, well until you plug a hose into it anyhow. For the record, I'm not judging anyone's Festool preferences, it's just that I haven't had good luck with Festool.

Dan Friedrichs
04-03-2021, 9:20 PM
Gotcha, Steve - thanks. Just curious because I recently was choosing between the Deros and Festool and ended up with the Festool mostly because of price (there is apparently a trick where you can buy the 5" Festool for $425 and put a 6" pad on it, because the 5" and 6" sanders are identical otherwise)