PDA

View Full Version : getting started....

Ted Daigle
01-08-2006, 1:52 PM
Hi all,
I've never posted on this forum before because I have absolutely no equipment for turning. However,I've been reading a watching about it and it is very intriguing. (Like all other aspects of woodworking, I guess:rolleyes: ). Anyway, what would I need to get started making small bowls, pens, etc. Basically, I need recommendations on the best type of starter's lathe for this type of work and what other tools I might need. Thanks in advance!

Keith Christopher
01-08-2006, 2:26 PM
Hi all,
I've never posted on this forum before because I have absolutely no equipment for turning. However,I've been reading a watching about it and it is very intriguing. (Like all other aspects of woodworking, I guess:rolleyes: ). Anyway, what would I need to get started making small bowls, pens, etc. Basically, I need recommendations on the best type of starter's lathe for this type of work and what other tools I might need. Thanks in advance!

Ted,

First WELCOME ! Second, I would recommend if you know someone who has a lathe to spend some time there. I bought the Rikon because of it's expandability and price, however I am saving for either a one-way or a PM. If you want to turn pens or small bowls I would recommend the top 3

Delta Midi, Jet midi, rikon Midi. these are all good Lathes as well as good start lathes. There is a new jet but it seems dedicated to pens and I wouldn't recommend that one unless you're wanting to turn pens and small spindles only. Then there is the tools, the sharpening, finishes, sanding supplies....

But it is worth it. As all here will attest, very sastifying.

so in short:

1) Midi or best lathe you budget can handle
2) Minimum 3 tools
a. Detail gouge (my opinion better to have than a spindle gouge)
b. Parting tool
c. Skew chisel (good to learn out of the chute because long term this tool rox !)
3) Sharpening device/stones... A slow speed grinder with an 80 and 120 grit wheel and dresser.
a. Honing polish is nice but not completely necessary
4) Sand paper, to about 2000 grit.
5) Finish of your choice, or use one of the now-not-so-secret formulas other turners use.
a. Friction polish is typically common for beginners, I like it still myself.
6) Some wood and time. :)

Welcome aboard.

John Hart
01-08-2006, 2:50 PM
....However,I've been reading a watching about it and it is very intriguing. (Like all other aspects of woodworking, I guess:rolleyes: )....

That sir...is an understatement! :) I used to think like that, after 20 some years doing flatwork...Not to take anything away from other forms of woodworking because it is a wonderful thing in any arena...But, for me personally, this past year has been the most fulfilling.

Lots of good info on getting started already in recent threads....Heck, just search all posts started by Bob Noles! :D

Welcome to the Vortex!!!!;) :)

Andy Hoyt
01-08-2006, 2:52 PM
......Heck, just search all posts started by Bob Noles! :D

Welcome to the Vortex!!!!;) :)

Hey! I was gonna say that!

Do the same for Benie Weisenheimer and Corey Amsterdam:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2006, 4:06 PM
Hey, Hey Andy I resemble that!:eek: :D

Follow Keith's advice. I just bought a Delta LA 200, 8 pc. tool set, grinder, stones, wolverine jig, get some wood to practice on, a couple of mandrel's, barrel trimmer, pen press and pen kits with blanks. I would also recommend some video's or DVD. Two that I got that are excellent are Bill Grumbine's on bowl turning and Bill Baumbeck's on pen turning. Go to Penn State Industries website and they have a free DVD on pen turning. That will give you more info. You will be set.

Carole Valentine
01-08-2006, 4:52 PM
Welcome to the round side. I second John and Andy! You don't really want us to repeat everything we just went through with Bob do you?:D I'm too lazy to do that today!:p

Bob Noles
01-08-2006, 5:26 PM
Ted,

It appears that I have become a household name around here. I must admit that I have driven this great bunch of folks to near insanity and Andy beyond that point :D with all my questions. They have been kind enough to offer up a wealth of information over the past 2 months thru answering my questions. John may very well be giving you an excellent starting point if you care to review some of my posts.

Let us know if we can help pull you on into the vortex even further. Just remember..... you have been warned :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-08-2006, 5:32 PM
Aw gee shucks and gee whizzercles, Bob.

Wait til ya get our bill!

Jim Becker
01-08-2006, 6:02 PM
Ted...sounds like we'll be welcoming you to the, um...addiction...in the near future!

I'm also one very much in favor of one of the mini/midi (same thing...different marketing name) as a starter lathe, not only because the cost and capability is reasonable, but because they remain very useful even when you eventually bring a much larger and more capable machine into the picture. If you can afford it, consider the variable speed version, too...such as the Jet VS Mini...as it will greatly enhance your ability to turn over time.

Of course, the lathe is the easy part...tools, safety and sharpening also need to be covered. One of the pen turning sets, such as Benjamin's Best from PSI/MCLS plus a 3/8" bowl gouge will get you started quite nicely with the mini/midi lathe. Add a full face shield, safety glasses (which you undoubtedly already have) and a bench grinder with AO wheels to get yourself going.

I do suggest you consider getting some mentoring...check the AAW chapter listing (http://www.woodturner.org) to see if there is a club near you...and/or view a video, such as Bill Grumbine's excellent DVD. Turning is something that seeing it done really helps you learn more quickly. And then...just dive in!