PDA

View Full Version : Making your own tools...

Curtis O. Seebeck
01-08-2006, 1:31 PM
In a search for good metals to use for tool making I had a thought. Why couldn't you use used jointer knives or planer knives? They are high speed steel. Seems you could grind off the sharp edge and cut to the length you want and then put a new edge on the end. I know some of the knives are not thick enough but the knived from my dewalt are pretty thick.

What do you guys who have made your own tools think? Have you every tried this?

tod evans
01-08-2006, 1:39 PM
here`s a pair of marking knifes made from an old 15" planer blade.

Andy Hoyt
01-08-2006, 1:48 PM
I've seen John Jordan use a planer blade as shear scraper when he wants a very fine cut.

John Hart
01-08-2006, 2:42 PM
I think it's a great idea Curtis...just as long as they are mounted securely. I wouldn't skimp on that aspect.

Doug Jones
01-08-2006, 3:15 PM
In a search for good metals to use for tool making I had a thought. Why couldn't you use used jointer knives or planer knives? They are high speed steel. Seems you could grind off the sharp edge and cut to the length you want and then put a new edge on the end. I know some of the knives are not thick enough but the knived from my dewalt are pretty thick.

What do you guys who have made your own tools think? Have you every tried this?
To add to this, one (a friend of mine does this) could find and use rifle/ shotgun barrels as a handle. Fix it up simular to the Kelton tool handles. Makes for a decent tool.

Harry Goodwin
01-08-2006, 4:01 PM
Some of the folks don't like using old files but I use mine everytime I use the lathe with no difficulty. Grind on sander on the back and then your profile like diamond, skew , round point ect. Pick out a thick file with tang for your handle. They work fine. I do not do large turnings. Harry

Frank Chaffee
01-08-2006, 5:01 PM
Curtis,
Yes you can use high speed steels for wood cutting tools.

To mount a salvaged blade that you have ground for your purpose in a handle, here is one method.

Grind the end of a broken drill bit flat. You can also use a straight steel rod or nail.

Chuck that bit in a drill press and apply it to your clamped blade where you wish a bolting or riveting hole to the handle.

As the spinning bit rotates the tool steel will heat up and begin to turn blue in a circle from the center.

Quickly cool the tool steel. It should now be soft enuf in the blued area to drill a hole.

Three books I have that can help in this activity are written by Alexander G. Weygers. The Modern Blacksmith, The Making of Tools and The Recycling, Use, & Repair of Tools.

Woodworking is a multimedia experience.

Frank

Anthony Yakonick
01-08-2006, 5:02 PM
The wide scrapers on my hollowing rig are made from jointer blades, I can make 4-6 for the price one costs in a catalog. Plus they're the shape I want when I'm done.

tod evans
01-09-2006, 8:25 AM
the method i used to attach handles to the knifes pictured above is quite simple...the tang runs almost full length, i notched the tang with a grinder and used 2-part epoxy to glue the two halfs of the handle to the tang. over 10yrs and no problems yet...tod

Carole Valentine
01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I am currently getting ready to make a 1/16" parting tool from a section of old bandsaw blade. Don't have it in front of me but it seems the blade was 1 1/4" so by the time I grind the teeth off it will be somewhere on the order of 1".
I also got a bunch of HSS drill rod from Enco which I use to make cutting bits.

John Strait
01-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I also got a bunch of HSS drill rod from Enco which I use to make cutting bits.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if automobile engine valve push rods would work as well as HSS drill rod. Has anyone tried it? I know some have made burnishers out of them and wonder if they would work for some turning tools.

John

tod evans
01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
john, most of the post 56 push rods are hollow. just something to think about.....tod

John Strait
01-09-2006, 11:29 AM
john, most of the post 56 push rods are hollow. just something to think about.....tod

I just went to a engine repair shop and found that out, but did pick up a few of them to experiment with. I also picked up some engine valves that are about 6 inches long and 3/8 diameter.

Thanks,
john