PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW746

Darren Carreras
03-30-2021, 5:27 PM
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2005 DW746 for $200.00 The saw was completely disassembled. I've reassembled the base plate and motor. I checked the blade for 90 and 45 degrees so far the blade is 89.86 and 44.92. Are these acceptable or do I need to get dead accurate? I haven't check the blade for square to the miter slots yet. The cast iron tops need to be cleaned and I figured I would check the blade to the miter after I clean the tops. The unit is complete with side router table and out feed table. I will post pictures after i complete the assembly. Is there anything I should be aware of or is this a straight forward assembly? So far it seems pretty seamless. I appreciate any feed back and thank you in advance.

Curt Harms
04-01-2021, 8:34 AM
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2005 DW746 for $200.00 The saw was completely disassembled. I've reassembled the base plate and motor. I checked the blade for 90 and 45 degrees so far the blade is 89.86 and 44.92. Are these acceptable or do I need to get dead accurate? I haven't check the blade for square to the miter slots yet. The cast iron tops need to be cleaned and I figured I would check the blade to the miter after I clean the tops. The unit is complete with side router table and out feed table. I will post pictures after i complete the assembly. Is there anything I should be aware of or is this a straight forward assembly? So far it seems pretty seamless. I appreciate any feed back and thank you in advance.

What's the accuracy of your measuring tools? .14* and .08* doesn't seem like a lot. 'Angle Cubes' are typically around +/- .2*. Most people just use a good square and a straight blade. Place the square between the teeth.

Darren Carreras
04-04-2021, 12:22 AM
Thanks fir the response, yes I’m using a magnetic digital gauge. I’m having a hell of a time, trying to figure out the rear fence rail. None of the holes on the rails are lining up.

Curt Harms
04-04-2021, 8:56 AM
I'm thinking about how to check for 90* without measuring tools. I wonder if ripping a thick piece - near the capacity of the saw - then flipping one half over top to bottom and see if the cut edges are tight together. I think there'd be a gap top or bottom if the cut wasn't 90*. The top and bottom of the piece being cut would have to be as close to flat and parallel as possible for the check to be accurate though I'd think.