PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Jig Chip Collection

Matt Meiser
01-08-2006, 11:33 AM
After seeing the new Kreg Jig, I decided that I could add something to my "old" one to do the same thing. The results are pictured below.

It works great. An added bonus that I found is that the vacuum pulls the piece into the jig, making it slightly easier to line up because it doesn't want to fall over before I close the clamp.

Jim O'Dell
01-08-2006, 3:05 PM
Great idea, Matt. How big is the box? Is you inlet for hookig up a shop vac? I'll have to do something like that for mine. Jim.

Matt Meiser
01-08-2006, 3:21 PM
How big is the box?
Uhhhhhh. I didn't really measure, just cut pieces that fit right. I made it wider than the jig so there would be room for the hose.

Is you inlet for hookig up a shop vac?

Yes. Theoretically I could use it with my dust collection system, but then I'm adapting from 2-1/2" to 4" hose which is kind of bulky. The shop vac gets the job done just as good, just a little louder.

John Miliunas
01-08-2006, 4:05 PM
Matt, thanks much!!! You've very nicely answered a question I've asked myself numerous times! :) I've got one of the original aluminum ones, which has served me splendidly for probably 6 or 7 years and just couldn't justify spending $150.00 on the new system, primarily for the DC, though clearing the chips has always been kind of a PITA. That should do the trick nicely! Thanks!:)

BTW, to help a bit with the vac noise, I've invested in a couple of automatic activation switches, which you plug your power tool into and then the vac. The vac comes on when the tool is activated and shuts down several seconds after the main tool goes "off". Real handy for stuff like that. Unless, of course, you're using a cordless drill for the Kreg. I typically have a 1/2" corded PC pretty much dedicated to that use. :) :cool:

Matt Meiser
01-08-2006, 4:35 PM
I use a dedicated corded drill. My cordless drills are too slow according to Kreg.

Jamie Buxton
01-08-2006, 4:42 PM
The jig cuts much better with a vacuum sucking chips out, doesn't it?

I've done a much cruder solution. I just duct tape the vacuum hose to the Kreg jig. It works well.

Jim Becker
01-08-2006, 5:02 PM
Very clever, Matt...great idea!

John Miliunas
01-08-2006, 5:05 PM
I use a dedicated corded drill. My cordless drills are too slow according to Kreg.

Cool! You might like to check this out:http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00924031000&subcat=Tool+Safety

I have two in my shop and they are ultra-useful!:) :cool:

Peter Pedisich
01-08-2006, 5:06 PM
Matt,

Great Idea! with your idea someone could get the K2000 and save $25 or more.

Pete

Dick Parr
01-08-2006, 8:20 PM
Thanks Matt for a wonderful idea........:D ..;) It looks great.:)

Matt Meiser
01-08-2006, 9:29 PM
Cool! You might like to check this out:http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00924031000&subcat=Tool+Safety

I have two in my shop and they are ultra-useful!:) :cool:

Thanks. I went to Sears Hardware and picked one up.