PDA

View Full Version : Happy Vietnam Veterans Day

Mike Henderson
03-29-2021, 12:20 PM
Today is Vietnam Veterans Day.

In another 10 to 20 years there won't be many of us left and those will be in wheelchairs.:)

Mike

David Dockstader
03-29-2021, 2:53 PM
Unfortunately, many of us already are. Not me, but not for lack of trying. Be well, my brothers ... and sisters.

Lee Schierer
03-29-2021, 4:43 PM
I didn't have to go but I respect those that did.

Dave Anderson NH
03-29-2021, 4:51 PM
Thanks Mike. It's hard to believe that I came home from there with 2 Purple Hearts almost 52 years ago. I still grieve for my brothers who are forever young.

Malcolm McLeod
03-29-2021, 5:02 PM
Thanks Mike. It's hard to believe that I came home from there with 2 Purple Hearts almost 52 years ago. I still grieve for my brothers who are forever young.

A co-worker has a pen-and-ink drawing above his desk of an old man leaning into the Vietnam Memorial wall, his hand pressed to a name. Tho' it is not his reflection looking back from the wall. It is a platoon of young Marines in brain-buckets and jungle fatigues, one pressing his hand back. Forever young.

Thanks to all who served.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2021, 6:34 PM

Yes, I came back in 1971 so this is 50 years for me (no purple hearts). I should look up my DEROS date so I can mark 50 years.

I don't remember exactly but in the Army I think two purple hearts got you out of combat. That true in the Marines?

Mike

[I left Vietnam August 2, 1971, arrived June 2, 1970, so 14 months. Just looked it up.]

Patrick McCarthy
03-29-2021, 7:14 PM
I was in college at the time, and we were withdrawing or withdrawn when i got out in '73. Still miss high school friends who never came back, and honor all that did serve. I never understood the mistreatment many received when they did come back. Thank you to all of you and your families. Patrick

Dave Anderson NH
03-29-2021, 8:15 PM
In the Corps Mike it was either 2 hearts of over 48 hours hospitalization or 3 total and you got sent home. My first was Aug 23, '68, a cut and patch the shrapnel holes at the battalion aid station and then back to duty. The second in May '69 was 3 weeks hospital and then back into the bush. Typical Marine Corps they kept me in the bush until 1300 the day I rotated back to the states.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2021, 8:53 PM
I was in college at the time, and we were withdrawing or withdrawn when i got out in '73. Still miss high school friends who never came back, and honor all that did serve. I never understood the mistreatment many received when they did come back. Thank you to all of you and your families. Patrick

There's been some research about how the Vietnam vets were treated when they came home. See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image#:~:text=The%20Spitting%20Image% 3A%20Myth%2C%20Memory,home%20from%20the%20Vietnam% 20War.).

A number of the vets became anti-war protesters. The argument is that the anti-war people did not treat the vets badly because they recognized that the vets could be their allies.

I never encountered any problems after I returned (or before I went). I think most people recognized that it was not the soldier who was to blame, but the politicians.

Mike

[On a different subject, my belief is that the war - as fought - was unwinnable. The only way to win a war is to take the fight to the enemy. And yet, we never invaded North Vietnam, even when they sent regular army troops into the south (they invaded the south with regular, not irregular, forces). That was definitely grounds for attacking North Vietnam. When Germany invaded Poland, that was the start of WWII.

The reason we never invaded was because China let it be known that if we invaded North Vietnam they would enter the war, as they did in Korea. None of the US politicians wanted a war with China on the Asian mainland.

North Vietnam was supplied by the Soviet Union and China. North Vietnam provided the soldiers. We couldn't stop the flow of arms without getting into a war with the Soviet Union or China so we tried to attack the thing that North Vietnam supplied - the soldiers. That's why there was that stupid "body count" strategy. We thought if we killed enough North Vietnamese soldiers they would sue for peace. But North Vietnam was a dictatorship, willing to spend the lives of it's citizens.

The US military essentially became a border patrol entity. North Vietnam was able to decide when it was going to attack and all the US could do was defend. You sure can't win on the defense. (Let's say that we destroy a North Vietnamese division. They would reform the division in the safety of North Vietnam with new soldiers - young men became draft age each year - and train them in North Vietnam, then send them down to South Vietnam. It might take a year or two but they would replenish their forces. To win, you have to destroy the enemy's capability to wage war. We could not do that under the constraints we faced).

None of us were told these things back in the day. ]

David Lageman
03-29-2021, 9:00 PM
Just one thing to say...Thank you all for your service!!!

Joe Wood
03-29-2021, 9:04 PM
I finished advanced training, mortars, in 1970, heard about a jungle school I could volunteer for, figured I should learn as much as I could before heading to Nam, finished the course,

and got sent to Germany!

Thomas L Carpenter
03-30-2021, 8:18 AM
Four years in the Navy 66-70 and never at sea and never went to Viet Nam. To all the guys and gals that did thanks for your service.

Frederick Skelly
03-30-2021, 9:59 AM
Thank you. All of you. You were brave and honorable. You served, when many others were not willing.

With deepest respect,
Fred

Mike Null
03-30-2021, 10:18 AM
My thanks, respect, and best wishes to all who served.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2021, 9:37 PM
I served from 11/68 through 11/76. By the grace of God I never served in Vietnam.

Thank You Vietnam Veterans!

Mike Soaper
04-01-2021, 10:06 PM
By the grace of God I never served in Vietnam.

Thank You Vietnam Veterans!

Well said,

I received the National Defense Medal while in Antarctica, only because I was on active duty during the war.

To me, it made no sense for me to get it, I was about as far away for combat in a steamy jungle as you could be.

I remember receiving it and going outside on a cold grey day looking in the general direction of Vietnam and saying a prayer for those there.

Rod Sheridan
04-02-2021, 2:39 PM

In another 10 to 20 years there won't be many of us left and those will be in wheelchairs.:)

Mike

Thanks for posting this Mike.

It’s odd to see such milestones, and the people involved slip away.

Growing up, all my peers parents served in WWII, my father would be over a century old if he was alive.

We sure lose track of time....Rod

Mike Henderson
04-02-2021, 3:25 PM
Just some statistics: In World II, the US lost about 400,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.31% of our population of about 131 million (in 1939). Canada lost about 43,600 soldiers and civilians or about 0.38% of it's population of about 11 million. Germany lost about 7 million soldiers and civilians, or about 8.5% of it's population of 83.5 million. The Soviet Union lost about 26.5 million soldiers and civilians, or about 13.5% of it's population of about 194 million.

In Vietnam, the US lost a bit over 58,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.03% of our population of about 200 million in 1968.

All numbers are rounded. Sourced here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties).

Mike

Mike Soaper
04-02-2021, 5:09 PM
Just some statistics: In World II, the US lost about 400,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.31% of our population of about 131 million (in 1939). Canada lost about 43,600 soldiers and civilians or about 0.38% of it's population of about 11 million. Germany lost about 7 million soldiers and civilians, or about 8.5% of it's population of 83.5 million. The Soviet Union lost about 26.5 million soldiers and civilians, or about 13.5% of it's population of about 194 million.

In Vietnam, the US lost a bit over 58,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.03% of our population of about 200 million in 1968.

All numbers are rounded. Sourced here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties).

Mike

To maybe help put into perspective how many were lost in Vietnam

dodger stadium seats apx. 56,000
yankee stadium apx 52,300
oriole park at candem yards apx 46,000

Aiden Pettengill
05-17-2021, 11:54 PM

Mike

I know I'm a little late for this but I'd like to say thank you to all who served. My Grandfather is a Vietnam Vet and the only thing he'll say about it is that he ate monkey on a stick while over there. So to those who have served I want to thank you again because you have endured so much for people you will never meet and that, is a true testament of character.
Much appreciation,
Aiden