PDA

View Full Version : GREAT (free) courses on electric motors and control devices!

Patrick Smith
07-15-2003, 1:24 PM
Just wanted to share this with those that are newer and interested in motors and wiring the control circuits. If you already know what a motor starter and other control devices are and how they work you may not get much use out of this.

I've never really understood how all the motors, switches and relays for motor control really worked. I've made a few posts over the years about basic motor control and got some help, but unless you spend some time with an HVAC or industrial control person (or buy a real good book) it's hard to get to know this stuff and what it all does. Experimentation with expensive control devices and high-amp motors is not a good idea, either.

I came across some FREE online courses at Siemens web site. These courses are really easy to understand and cover everything from basic electricity to AC motors to controls and more. Here's the link: http://www.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html from there you can choose to take any course. They are short and to the point. You can even download PDF's of the courses and print them out.

I'm still no certified electrician but I am much more comfortable now that I understand the what and why's of control circuits and switches, what heaters are, and why a switch doesn't provide overload protection. Hope this helps someone else.

Patrick

Paul Geer
07-15-2003, 1:50 PM
I'll give it my endorsment!

Just kidding but I've been doing mechanical mantenace for Indiana University 15 years now and working on the big 3 phase motors on our HVAC equipment are just part of my duties. The Siemen course should give good background knowlege for a woodworker who wants to understand motors and starters on most of their woodworking machinery, and maybe a wee bit more.

Randy Gleckler
07-15-2003, 2:45 PM
As someone that is very emersed in this issue right now I greatly appreciate you posting this site. Thank you