PDA

View Full Version : Drill press lock

jeff oldham
03-25-2021, 1:06 PM
Years ago I had a craftsman drill press with a lock that you can lock the travel of the shaft..it seems like that feature you cant find anymore on drill presses..does anyone know of a drill press that does have this....preferably a bench top model

Roger Feeley
03-25-2021, 2:00 PM
My dad had that on his benchtop. When I went out on my own and got my drill press some 40 years ago, it lacked the lock. I haven't missed it. If I really needed it, there's the threaded rod for limiting how far the quill will travel down. That's a 1/2-20 thread. If I needed to limit the upward travel, it would be easy to add a nut.

glenn bradley
03-25-2021, 2:02 PM
This is a feature that, when well executed, is very valuable. As you notice, too few have it. the stock one on my old Delta was pathetic so I did this.
Just an idea in case you find a good DP but it lacks the lock.

Paul F Franklin
03-25-2021, 3:52 PM
The full size Nova Voyager has a quill lock. Not sure about the benchtop Nova Viking, but maybe.

glenn bradley
03-25-2021, 5:22 PM
The full size Nova Voyager has a quill lock. Not sure about the benchtop Nova Viking, but maybe.

It has a quill lock but, it is the spinning hub style that so few do well. A critical mistake in my book. A $1000 benchtop DP with a "Shopmaster" style quill lock. I've never had a tool go on and off my list so fast.

Bernie Kopfer
03-25-2021, 6:46 PM
Fortunately my 17" Delta has a quill lock, it's one of those things that I would hate to have to live without. That is a clever method you have there, Glen!

Robert Hayward
03-25-2021, 7:58 PM
It has a quill lock but, it is the spinning hub style that so few do well. A critical mistake in my book. A $1000 benchtop DP with a "Shopmaster" style quill lock. I've never had a tool go on and off my list so fast.

Not sure why you do not like the design. Mine works, and works well. I rotate the lever and it locks the quill in place. It is the only DP I have ever owned with a quill lock. Maybe something is out there that I am not aware of.

mreza Salav
03-25-2021, 9:50 PM
My 17" floor standing has and it's a very useful feature. I often use to bring the bit down and set exactly where I want it to drill then lock and then secure the piece the table.

Bob Jones 5443
03-26-2021, 2:57 AM
Drill presses don't have locks? That's news to me. Mine has one to limit downward travel. How on earth can you drill down precisely without one?

Mine also has a lock that makes the quill stay down (stationary) anywhere I want it, so I can line up the bit precisely with its target location before I make the bore.

I must have missed the point of this thread.

Sam Puhalovich
03-26-2021, 6:27 AM
Look at Glenn's picture ... there is a slot in the quill ... there is a screw that that goes into that slot to keep the quill from rotating. I bought a longer screw ... filed a nose on it ... and tighten-it whenever I need to lock the quill down. Invaluable feature for me whenever doing any set-up.

glenn bradley
03-26-2021, 8:12 AM
3110358 (tel:3110358)[/URL]]Not sure why you do not like the design. Mine works, and works well. I rotate the lever and it locks the quill in place. It is the only DP I have ever owned with a quill lock. Maybe something is out there that I am not aware of.

That would be the “few do well“ part of my response. On my current and past DP’s the rotating hub has been stiff and awkward or loose and sloppy. Combined with the fact that it is on the same side as the quill handles I find it difficult to operate quickly or accurately. Could be a personal problem.

Ole Anderson
03-26-2021, 8:56 AM
A quill lock is one of the most used features on my Craftsman DP.

Derek Cohen
03-26-2021, 11:00 AM
The drill lock is pretty simple to use ...

https://i.postimg.cc/gJStWqQN/Drill-lock.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

glenn bradley
03-26-2021, 11:08 AM
The drill lock is pretty simple to use ...

https://i.postimg.cc/gJStWqQN/Drill-lock.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Such a nice DP. I wish they would've carried that format to the benchtop version. I'd have one right now if they did. I did a field test a couple at different locations . . . fail. Nice DP but, too much money for one that has a poor version of one of my DP peeves :D.

They also failed to carry over some other features from the Voyager that cause me to hang on to my money. Maybe I'll just have to go for the Voyager :)

George Yetka
03-26-2021, 11:49 AM
The Pm has 2 stops 1 for up and 1 for down. If you use both it will keep it locked

Bob Jones 5443
03-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Look at Glenn's picture ... there is a slot in the quill ... there is a screw that that goes into that slot to keep the quill from rotating. I bought a longer screw ... filed a nose on it ... and tighten-it whenever I need to lock the quill down. Invaluable feature for me whenever doing any set-up.

Oh. Keeps the drill from rotating. I did miss the point.

My Delta 17" has a little bolt on the side. I use it with every setup to keep the quill from springing back UP –– but not to keep the shaft from rotating; I don't need to do that. I change bits using the chuck key in three places around the circumference.

So I suppose my drill press does have a lock, but if I understand how it operates, I don't think I'd want to call upon it to resist rotation. Seems to me it would wear over time.

Still, it's kind of a surprise that this isn't just a part of every drill press.