PDA

View Full Version : what's it called? you know that gizmo?

Jack Wood
01-08-2006, 7:09 AM
I have a One Way chuck that I saw in an mag sometime ago that had large flat chuck teeth? that you could screw rubber nubs too to hold your turning so as to finish the back of a bowl, Dennis Peacock I think when you were here you told me about one but I don't recall if there is a common name for it(gettin' old). Any ideas as to what it is I'm looking for or can I make one say from hardwood that would do the trick?:confused:

Michael Stafford
01-08-2006, 7:17 AM
Jack, I think you are referring to what are known as Cole jaws. They are a set of large diameter aluminum 1/4 circular disc sections to which you can attach rubber buttons that allow you to grip your turnings by the outside and reverse turn your bowls up to their grip capacity. I have a set. Jim Ketron makes them for his own use. They work great as long as you remember to reduce speed and understand that your hold on the turning is not as good as you might think.

Dennis Daudelin
01-08-2006, 7:23 AM
I use my cole plates on almost every bowl that I turn. It's a great way to quickly and easily mount the bowl in order to turn the bottom. I sure wouldn't want to make a jamb chuck for each bowl. You could also use a vacuum chuck to do the same thing but the advantage of the cole plate is that it's self centering as it's just mounted on a scroll chuck.

It's key to run at slower speeds as it doesn't take much to pop the bowl out of the buttons and to create a UFO...

Building a homemade set is not hard and many people do that. I caution you not to use MDF which can delaminate as experienced recently by William Young of BC, Canada. His broken arm is just now healing enough to allow him back into his shop!!

I just purchased the units, one for my Nova chucks and one for my Oneway chucks and didn't look back. They've gotten each over 200 uses so I figured that I got my monies worth!!

Best of luck with your decision,

Dennis

Jack Wood
01-08-2006, 7:35 AM
Thanks Guys, I think that the broken arm story leads me toward buying one:eek: Where did you get yours Dennis? Michael when I read your reply I said to my self: COLE-of course! I told my self to remember it by associating it with "coleslaw" but alas I didn't have anything to associate coleslaw with and away it went, I do think I remembered one time while I was at the lathe but my mind quickly jumped on to BBQ from the shack down the road and you know the rest of the story! Man getting old is such a drag, just like the Stones said!:D Happy Turning!

Jim Ketron
01-08-2006, 8:57 AM
Here is My set http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14578
other than my vacuum chuck this is the method I prefer for finishing bowl bottoms.

Jim Becker
01-08-2006, 11:16 AM
You can buy the Cole jaws directly from OneWay or one of their retailers. Be sure you purchase the ones that are for your particular chuck model and that are sized to fit your lathe. (You can't put 11" jaws on a 10" swing machine... ;) )

It is also possible to shopbuild a similar setup as Jim illustrates, although you don't need to use metal. Plywood will also work. The key is to make things self-centering if you can. There are articles out there on that point.

Bill Stevener
01-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Jack,

You may wish to try a Longworth chuck. If you try the search block I'm sure you will find additional info.

A link to the one I made and pleased with the way it works.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=204417&postcount=35

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)