PDA

View Full Version : Pile of scraps, reduced

steven c newman
03-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Cut down to a manageable length...edges jointed...
Glued up into a panel...
Trim the edges square....(while trying to flatten the panel, panel flip off onto the floor, now had two to work on)
Reglue the two into one panel...
Sand, plane, cut the corners to a radius...
Apply a coat of Mineral Oil....

Waiting to see how it dries....may get a few more coats

5/8" x 10-1/4" x 11".......simple, little cutting board. Strips are from all those "rip an edge of a plank down to size, that I didn't want to throw away" piles.....Ash, Oak, Maple, Pine, Poplar.....a "board of many colours":D

Dennis Droege
03-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Steven, thanks for showing us one way to use up some offcuts. My pile(s) of "other than" continue to increase. Making cutting boards will be cheaper than psychotherapy--

Stew Denton
03-24-2021, 9:01 PM
Steven,

Good Job. I was following the photos and descriptions and was thinking "I wonder what Steven is up to," but when I saw the photo with the rounded off quarters it was "Oh!" At that point it was obviously a cutting board. At any rate a nice project and a great way to use up scraps. Most of us can figure out lots of folks to give cutting boards to.

Again, a good way to use up scraps and a nice project and a nice job putting it together.

Thanks for posting it.

Stew

Thomas Wilson
03-25-2021, 8:18 PM
I cut those leftover strips into 6 inch pieces and use them as spacers between logs in the fireplace. You’re shaming me, Steven. Definitely shaming me, but my fires are lovely.