PDA

View Full Version : Benchcrafted Leg Vise on Veritas Bench?

Izzy Charo
03-23-2021, 6:34 PM
The Benchcrafted leg vise, often seen on Roubo-style benches, works extremely well...but I have a Veritas bench (pedestal style)...I'm wondering if anyone has tried to adapt the Veritas bench to accept the Benchcrafted leg vise? I imagine it could be done by somehow adding a leg flush to the face the bench top ...but before buying this expensive vise it would be nice to know if others have tried this...
Thanks,
Izzy

Jim Matthews
03-23-2021, 6:47 PM
You have the cast iron legs?

Izzy Charo
03-23-2021, 6:53 PM
No...Sorry, I didn't describe it correctly in my post..the legs (4) are the wooden ones, but they are set back from the bench top. The Roubo bench legs are, I believe, flush with the bench top. So, I'm wondering if I can just "build up" the Veritas legs until they are flush with the bench top so I can install the Benchcrafted leg vise...

Dave Mills
03-23-2021, 7:17 PM
The only drawback I can think of is that the vise screw is captured at the back of the leg. So you will shorten the open depth of the vise by the distance to the back of the leg. So if that "build up" is a whole lot, it could become an issue.

Bob Jones 5443
03-23-2021, 7:35 PM
Hi Izzy. I suspect you could buy a longer lead screw to give you the extra depth you’d need to go through the buildup. It looks like that screw is 4 turns per inch, not six like with the Moxon. I couldn’t tell the diameter from a quick read of the BC site. But lead screws are cheap at McMaster Carr.

Jack Frederick
03-25-2021, 10:26 AM
I have the BC Classic and have thought of doing same. It is largely a matter of notching the leg properly hand having an opening for the nut large enough to mount it. Or, prep the leg prior to mounting with the screw and nut in place. I’ve been thinking of mounting mine on my 3x3 metal leg table in the same way. You go first please and report back;)