PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Cooler Bulkhead

Mike Goetzke
03-23-2021, 9:41 AM
I want to use a cooler as an ice bath cooler for my beer brewing hobby. You put ice in cooler with a pond pump and circulate the water through a coil that sits inside the fermenting beer. A temperature controller is used to turn the pump on/off. This requires the need to feed two 3/8" OD tubes and pump power into the cooler.

I was thinking of boring a hole through the cooler wall and using a bulkhead. I see many PVC bulkheads available for aquariums and rain water storage tanks but my cooler has about a 3" wall. I also need to plug the hole after brewing so I can use the cooler for it's designed function. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so was wondering if someone is more familiar with these fittings can suggest a solution.

Thanks

Tom Stenzel
03-23-2021, 11:55 PM
I've seen 3/8" bulkhead fittings (Bi-Lok) but never ones that would make it through a 3" wall.

If you do find them, don't remove them and try to patch the holes. Just put caps on the fittings.

How about purchasing a inexpensive cooler like an all Styrofoam job and running lines through the cover? Or punch holes in your home made insulated cover for your existing cooler. That might be cheaper than finding bulkhead fittings. And no leaks.

-Tom

John Stankus
03-24-2021, 6:44 AM
Since you are using a pump, why do you need to go through the sidewall ?

Also some coolers have drain plugs for draining the water from the melted ice.

Mike Goetzke
03-24-2021, 9:09 AM
I've seen 3/8" bulkhead fittings (Bi-Lok) but never ones that would make it through a 3" wall.

If you do find them, don't remove them and try to patch the holes. Just put caps on the fittings.

How about purchasing a inexpensive cooler like an all Styrofoam job and running lines through the cover? Or punch holes in your home made insulated cover for your existing cooler. That might be cheaper than finding bulkhead fittings. And no leaks.

-Tom

I've tried an inexpensive cooler and they need ice replenished every day. I'm looking to extend this time.

Since you are using a pump, why do you need to go through the sidewall ?

Also some coolers have drain plugs for draining the water from the melted ice.

John - the pump is a submersible pond pump and goes inside the cooler but you bring up a good point. This cooler is only 15 quart but does have a drain plug. It also has a lid seal. Originally I was thinking of using the cooler up side down and passing the hoses/wire through the drain hole but the lid seal isn't a 100% seal. Over the weekend I did find I can pass the hoses through the drain line. They compress slightly but not much. Maybe if I purchase an additional drain plug assembly I can silicone the hoses and wires in one and use the other for regular cooler usage.

You also sparked another idea. If I used the drain as a supply water source and used a small in-line water pump external to the cooler I would only need to modify the cooler for a small return water line.

Thanks
Mike

John Stankus
03-24-2021, 9:27 AM
If ice replenishment is an issue, why don't you buy a cheap dorm size refrigerator put a reservoir inside and punch holes in the door or side of that. May not be perfect thermally, but you don't have to replace ice. What temperature are you trying to control at?

George Yetka
03-24-2021, 10:23 AM
I would drill 2 holes on the top and mount the pump there. Silicone the holes. They shouldnt let in too much heat and they wont leak being on the top. I would buy a coil of copper piping and leave it coiled but connect poly tubing or a stainless flex to either end and up to the lid so you can open and close it easily.

The copper will allow more heat transfer

Jim Barkelew
03-24-2021, 11:13 AM
More of a general solution for problems like this is a 3D printer. Design / sketch what you need and find a "friend" with a 3D printer and make it. I would think you could have a 3 inch thick plug with the appropriate tube holes, and fill the voids in the plug with spray foam. Many types of filament are available and not expensive.

Jim

Bill Dufour
03-24-2021, 2:35 PM
I would check for through hull fitting at a boat store.
Bill D

Steve Fish
03-25-2021, 4:56 PM
Make a new lid with polyiso and drill all the holes you need in that.