PDA

View Full Version : questions on raised panel doors

Ken Miller
01-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I need to make to raised panel doors for a bathroom cabinet and I have a few questions. (it is for a half-bath so extra humidity will not be a problem) How much room do you leave for expansion both length and width? If I raise the panel on the table saw, is it best to rout a straight edge on the back so it fits into the mortises or do I cut the panels' edges somewhat smaller than the width of the mortise so that more of it fits in? (I don't know how to word this question but I hope my point got across) Finally, without having stile and rail bits I will either do them mortise and tenon if I don't use any decorative edging but if I do, could I use biscuit reinforced miters for the stiles and rails? (I have the pc biscuit jointer with the face frame size biscuits). Thanks in advance.

J.R. Rutter
01-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I would put a flat section on the panels so they can expand without binding and shrink without rattling too much. I allow 1/8" all around, because it is plenty of room, and easy to calculate panel size. If you biscuit, you might want to set up a slot bit in a router table (if you have one). For me it was easier than balancing the portable joiner on the frame parts. A pair of stops will limit travel so you don't come blasting out the sides. This is also quite fast if you use 2 biscuits per corner - just set the bit lower, and flip the part over to do the second slot.

aaron allen
01-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I agree with J.R. about the 1/8", but you might want to check out the space balls approach. The little rubber balls that eliminate the rattle and give room for expansion. Since we started to use them, we have not had one complaint.