PDA

View Full Version : East Texas Turners - help me on wood huntin' trip

Chip Sutherland
01-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Any SMC folks in East Texas? I've got a buddy with 400+ acres near Mineola. My buddy said I could go out and cut down some of his trees (birch, oak, sweet gum, pine, etc.) Problems are:
1) I don't have a chainsaw...but my buddy does
2) I'm not very skilled with a chainsaw
3) I can't identify trees so I have no friggin' clue what to cut.
4) I'm not an athlete.

So I'm looking for a new friend or two who know what to do. It would sure help if you had a 4-wheeler and a mini-trailer. My buddies only got one 650cc Honda 4-wheeler.

He's about to have a logger come out and do a 'first cut' on his land that he plans to be developing lots. Some low lying areas are going to become ponds so those trees are history anyway. It is in no way a slashing of the land. In fact, I was surprised at some of the puny trees they've got marked.

Anyway, the loggers got a bunch of trees already marked. But there are least a hundred thousand (100,000+) of trees left to pick from. My first trip, I may just cut into some of the fallen/uprooted trees that litter the land. And maybe mark some other trees for a 2nd trip.

There are a several cypress trees that he wants to take down but I believe he wants to find a mill to slab/kiln dry them. I am eyeing some of the roots....the ones that stick up. Especially one that might make a nice turned lamp.

Let me know who you are. Just 1.5 hrs east of Dallas.

John Hart
01-08-2006, 7:54 AM
Too bad Jim Ketron doesn't live in East Texas....He could clear that and turn it all in an afternoon! :D 100,000 Trees?!!!! Geez....Thats a lot of shavings!

Ernie Nyvall
01-08-2006, 8:44 AM
Chip, what is the window of opportunity... time wise?

Ernie

Jim Ketron
01-08-2006, 8:48 AM
Funny John!:D
I wish I was close I sure would help.
Jim

Mike Forsman
01-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Chip,

I live in Sachse. I would be interested in collecting some more turning stock.

I have a Toyota Tundra pickup truck.

I don't have a chainsaw either (several options to solve that problem). I have used a chainsaw back when I was younger. During that time, I cut down trees (got pretty good at getting them to fall where I wanted and needed them to fall. Also used an electric chainsaw over the hollidays to cut up some blanks from a log that I found on the side of the road.

I don't have a 4-wheeler or a mini-trailer. I not an athlete either, I work in a office or sit on a airplane when I'm not woodworking.

After I got my lathe and started turning, I started realizing that I didn't have a clue about many of the trees that I would see around the area. So I picked up a book on field identification of North American Trees. Doesn't make me a expert, but at least might help get in the general area.

Bottom line, I'm interested, I will send you a PM with my contact information.

Chip Sutherland
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I'll have to check but I know it will be a month or 2 before they start any work on the ponds. The Army Corps of Engineers have to get involved.