PDA

View Full Version : Ring video doorbell. Battery power

Dave Lehnert
03-19-2021, 10:49 PM
My doorbell has not worked in years since a electric panel upgrade. Sure the transformer did not get hooked up or replaced in the process. A project for another day.

Does anyone use the BATTERY powered Ring video doorbell? How long does the charge last and how well does it work?

Stan Coryell
03-19-2021, 11:13 PM
I don't, my doorbell transformer works. I remember that it depends on how much the camera is on. You can adjust sensitivity. But, you can't block things out, like a flag that blows in front of the camera. I'd attempt to fix the doorbell circuit. It's sort of a pain to get the battery out.

Michael J Evans
03-19-2021, 11:42 PM
The battery is so so. I think I get 3-5 days outta mine. I'm so lazy to charge it that it hasn't been on in a good month now

Jim Matthews
03-20-2021, 7:17 AM
I use the Eufy doorbell.

Wireless and itegrates with an App to alert when someone approaches/ rings and battery status.

The battery lasts longer than I can remember my password.

https://www.eufydoorbells.com/

roger wiegand
03-20-2021, 7:37 AM
Where I volunteer we have a door that it's very hard to run a wire to neatly. I installed a Ring with a solar charger built into the faceplate. It has worked well for a year now with no further attention. It does get direct sun for several hours a day.

Dom Garafalo
03-20-2021, 7:37 AM
Does anyone use the BATTERY powered Ring video doorbell? How long does the charge last and how well does it work?

I have a Ring 2 battery powered Ring video doorbell. During our very cold winter last month the battery charge lasted about 3 weeks. During the warmer months it will last 5-6 weeks before needing to be recharged. I bought a spare battery when I bought and installed my doorbell which makes it fast and easy to switch it out when the installed battery needs to be charged. My doorbell works very well and has a lot of adjustability.

Robert Galey
03-20-2021, 7:53 AM
We have a battery powered Ring Video Doorbell 3. The battery lasts about 3 weeks. However, my experience was so bad with the Ring Doorbell 3 poor performance and very poor support from the folks at Ring that I did not reinstall it when we moved. It's in the box in my desk drawer. I'd shop for another brand. Just my opinion.

Jim Becker
03-20-2021, 8:52 AM
I have two battery powered Ring doorbells and three batteries so I can always have a charged spare available. The two doorbells have very different charge life. Our kitchen door is the most used and therefore, sends a lot more alerts/videos than the front door which is rarely used. So battery life is a few weeks for the kitchen door and a couple of months for the front door. As Dom mentioned, that does vary seasonably. Neither position is capable of using the solar charging feature they have available. It may be usable at our new property and I'll be checking that out if the existing one there isn't wired to a transformer.

Dave Lehnert
03-20-2021, 3:54 PM
I use the Eufy doorbell.

Wireless and itegrates with an App to alert when someone approaches/ rings and battery status.

The battery lasts longer than I can remember my password.

https://www.eufydoorbells.com/

Thanks for the link. Another option I did not know about, Will look into it for sure.
Are you able to talk to someone at your door when you are away from home?

Dave Lehnert
03-20-2021, 3:56 PM
I have two battery powered Ring doorbells and three batteries so I can always have a charged spare available. The two doorbells have very different charge life. Our kitchen door is the most used and therefore, sends a lot more alerts/videos than the front door which is rarely used. So battery life is a few weeks for the kitchen door and a couple of months for the front door. As Dom mentioned, that does vary seasonably. Neither position is capable of using the solar charging feature they have available. It may be usable at our new property and I'll be checking that out if the existing one there isn't wired to a transformer.

I know a few weeks don't sound like a lot to change batteries but do you find it a hassle to have to keep changing?
How well does the app work and do you have many false alerts?

Jim Matthews
03-20-2021, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the link. Another option I did not know about, Will look into it for sure.
Are you able to talk to someone at your door when you are away from home?
Yep.

The only caveat is that the default setting is too sensitive.
Street traffic routinely set it off.

I particularly like that it somehow is partitioned separate from my WiFi and isn't readily hacked.

https://i.imgur.com/G765Nbp.jpg

Jim Becker
03-20-2021, 5:34 PM
I know a few weeks don't sound like a lot to change batteries but do you find it a hassle to have to keep changing?
How well does the app work and do you have many false alerts?

It doesn't bother me to have to charge the battery, especially with a spare available. Do note that you need a "more powerful" brick for the charge. I use an old iPad brick; a lower amperage phone brick will not no not do the job. The system will notify you when you are getting to the point of needing a charge, too. You'll want to keep the little tool handy for the security screw on the bottom of the doorbell case, too.

We've never had any kind of false alerts and you have a range of "tuning" options available so you can tailor response to your location, approaches to the door, etc., as well as things like human detection. The app is easy to use. The same app supports our Ring security system and the video camera in my shop, too.

Clifford McGuire
03-21-2021, 9:10 AM
I installed a Ring video doorbell in January. I just checked and the battery is still at 61%. I think that's about what the documentation said we wold get.

We have a 'zone' that it monitors and alerts us to motion. For all it does, I'm surprised the battery lasts that long.

Dave Lehnert
03-21-2021, 9:24 PM
Yep.

The only caveat is that the default setting is too sensitive.
Street traffic routinely set it off.

I particularly like that it somehow is partitioned separate from my WiFi and isn't readily hacked.

https://i.imgur.com/G765Nbp.jpg

One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.

Malcolm McLeod
03-21-2021, 9:37 PM
One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.

Perhaps look at this - https://ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-battery

Not true doorbell, but similar hi-tech features. These can be 'aimed' to only detect motion / activity in it's field of view. Battery (charge) lasts 2 months-ish. Also available with solar charger.

Jim Becker
03-22-2021, 9:50 AM

I can't speak for other solutions, but the RING units can be tuned and configured to accommodate situations like this so that highway traffic doesn't cause excessive recording/notification. They have added refinements to this frequently, too.

Steve Wurster
03-22-2021, 11:21 AM
I can't speak for other solutions, but the RING units can be tuned and configured to accommodate situations like this so that highway traffic doesn't cause excessive recording/notification. They have added refinements to this frequently, too.

I do that with mine, although it's a Ring Pro so I don't know if there are any difference there. I have the "motion zone" configured to ignore the street and even the sidewalk out by the street, otherwise it picks up everything. I also have it configured in "People Only Mode", which means it only alerts for motion that it thinks looks like a person. That will however pick up shadows of people across my front lawn when the sun is low, but we're okay with that.

Jim Matthews
03-22-2021, 11:24 AM

The sensitivity can be set by the user.

I use it like a doorbell - it only actuates (and records) when the button is pressed.

The default setting records 10 seconds of video when the motion detector is active.

Jim Becker
03-22-2021, 5:56 PM
I do that with mine, although it's a Ring Pro so I don't know if there are any difference there. I have the "motion zone" configured to ignore the street and even the sidewalk out by the street, otherwise it picks up everything. I also have it configured in "People Only Mode", which means it only alerts for motion that it thinks looks like a person. That will however pick up shadows of people across my front lawn when the sun is low, but we're okay with that.
Good to know that you're one of the folks on the Neighbors "map"...almost seems that many of the alerts I see come from your neighborhood. LOL

Steve Wurster
03-22-2021, 6:27 PM
Good to know that you're one of the folks on the Neighbors "map"...almost seems that many of the alerts I see come from your neighborhood. LOL

I think I actually have that feature turned off on my account. lol

Jim Becker
03-23-2021, 10:12 AM
I think I actually have that feature turned off on my account. lol

LOL I have found it interesting that the "blinking blue dot" for so many alerts is hovering over your neighborhood. Maybe that's just because RING is popular there. Or you have a bunch of hoolems as neighbors. ;)

Steve Wurster
03-23-2021, 10:33 AM
LOL I have found it interesting that the "blinking blue dot" for so many alerts is hovering over your neighborhood. Maybe that's just because RING is popular there. Or you have a bunch of hoolems as neighbors. ;)

I'm gonna have to run the Neighbors app to see what's going on in my neighborhood! We have an FB group, so if / when there are issues things get posted there; thankfully we don't have too many problems. I'm sure Ring doorbells are popular here, but who knows if people have them setup to ignore random motion coming from the street.

George Yetka
03-23-2021, 10:38 AM
My first ring pro I messed with for hours and hours before I chucked it 100' off the front porch. It was fried from factory and support wouldnt replace it. I got a second eventually and had to put a new transformer in and it works great now.

My brother and sister each have a battery version (not together :) ) They get different results. If you program the motion fields properly they will stay relatively inactive and last quite a bit longer. If it faces a busy street it will be active and recording all the time. I would recommend wiring it if you can. and either using a ring chime or wiring to your door chime if thats working

Jim Becker
03-23-2021, 10:39 AM
I'm gonna have to run the Neighbors app to see what's going on in my neighborhood! We have an FB group, so if / when there are issues things get posted there; thankfully we don't have too many problems. I'm sure Ring doorbells are popular here, but who knows if people have them setup to ignore random motion coming from the street.

Neightbors reports are not automatic...someone has to submit them...so presumably no falsies would make it there. Most of those I've seen have involved someone fiddling with vehicles late at night.

Steve Wurster
03-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Neightbors reports are not automatic...someone has to submit them...so presumably no falsies would make it there. Most of those I've seen have involved someone fiddling with vehicles late at night.

Ah, okay. Yeah, that scenario was definitely a big one the past couple years. They recently got the guy behind a lot of those thefts.

Brian Elfert
03-23-2021, 6:03 PM
Can you get a network cable to it? My brother is building a new house and put in a power over Ethernet Ring door bell.

Steve Wurster
03-23-2021, 7:44 PM
Can you get a network cable to it? My brother is building a new house and put in a power over Ethernet Ring door bell.

That's probably a lot of effort for an already-built house. It's probably easier for the OP to replace the doorbell transformer with one that can power the Ring unit.

Jim Becker
03-23-2021, 8:12 PM
I agree with Steve...if the wire is there, just replace the transformer, dod the resistor dance if required and enjoy a powered setup. (that still has battery backup)