PDA

View Full Version : Typical Compressor size for cabinets

jeff friedman
03-19-2021, 8:50 AM
I am setting up a three car garage shop to build cabinets. I will be spraying catalyzed conversion varnish’s. The main use of the compressor will he for this. What is a reasonable size compressor to support?

Jim Becker
03-19-2021, 9:03 AM
Part of your decision depends upon the gun, but I much prefer a larger compressor because it will run less often, too.

BTW, if you will be spraying solvent based products, you need a proper spray environment to do that safely. If that garage is attached to a house, it's even a bigger challenge. Waterborne finishes, however, are a lot easier to accommodate from a safety standpoint.

Kevin Jenness
03-19-2021, 9:36 AM
5 hp, 15cfm range. Look for a low rpm pump for longevity.

John TenEyck
03-19-2021, 11:39 AM
If you want to run any gun Kevin's advise is sound. There are a lot of guns you can run with around 8 cfm at 40 psi, and also LVLP guns which only need around 4 - 6 cfm at 40 psi. I have a 60 gal compressor that delivers about 11 cfm at 40 psi and choose guns accordingly.

John

Tom Bender
03-24-2021, 1:44 PM
To Jim's point, consider hanging plastic curtains to contain and keep it out of the house. And park the cars across the street.

jeff friedman
04-03-2021, 8:11 AM
Yes I was thinking of making some sort of shower curtain arrangement, if nothing else but to keep the walls and equipment clean. The front facing to the street would be open, maybe the back too so I can have a through breeze.