PDA

View Full Version : Portable belt sander?

Roger Reynolds
01-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Currently considering the DW433 portable belt sander. Anybody have time on it? Other favs?

Chris Damato
01-08-2006, 8:38 AM
I am looking closely at the new Ridgid belt sander. I have'nt found any reviews on it yet but it looks like a real nice machine. I have heard that the DeWalt has horrible dust collection. I was going to purchase the PC 352VS but when I tried it out, I hated the location of the dust bag. It was always in my way and boy is it loud!!! People that I have spoken to, rave about the Makita and Bosch 3 X 21 belt sanders. If I cannot find any feedback/experience about the new Ridgid, I would go for either the Bosch or the Makita in the 3 X 21 size group. For 4 X 24 I would recommend the Bosch model. Just my opinion.

-Chris

tod evans
01-08-2006, 9:01 AM
there is only one portable belt sander the porter-cable 504! you will never kill it and after using one all others are so poorly balanced you`ll never give them a second glance.......02 tod

Roger Reynolds
01-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Chris - Thanks for the heads up on the dust collection problem with the DW.

Tod - Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience. I should have specified a price range of under $200. $400 for the PC 504 is out of my range.

--Roger

Chris Damato
01-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Roger,

IMHO, for under $200 check out the Ridgid, Makita or Bosch. If you read some postings on sites like amazon etc, alot of people have had numerous problems aside from dust collection with the DeWalt.

-Chris

Roger Reynolds
01-08-2006, 2:53 PM
Belt Sander

Chris - thanks again. Because of a combination of experience and marketing I generally go to DW and Bosch first for power hand tools - in fact all of mine are one or the other - so I will check out the Bosch next. The Ridgid tools generally look good but the private brand thing keeps me away. That said, I do have the Ridgid jointer (deal was too good - $200 brand new).

--Roger