PDA

View Full Version : Could use a turn in the box-walnut HF

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 9:40 PM
I finally got some time on the lathe... it's been a couple of months.

This is from a walnut crotch with a curly maple collar, and is 6 x 6.5. It doesn't have a foot... that extra on the bottom is where it goes in the chuck, so I have something to hold for correction. This is the first of one like this and with a collar. I put some oil on it so I could see the grain.

So anyway, I want to know how the form looks, how the collar looks and if it is a good color contrast and form for this piece.

Have at it guys and gals.

Ernie

John Hart
01-07-2006, 9:56 PM
I'm sorry Ernie. I don't see a thing wrong with it. Boy...there's a lot going on in that grain too. And the icing on the cake is the maple/walnut combo. Very Nice!!!

Jim Ketron
01-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Looks Great Ernie!
Beautiful shape, flows real nice, and that wood is awesome! I like the wood you used for the collar also.

The only thing I see is the collar profile looks a little thick. if you follow the shape of the HF the collar should flow with the same type lines the top of your HF is.

Travis Stinson
01-07-2006, 10:10 PM
That's an awesome piece of Walnut Ernie! I think the shape and form looks great. I like the contrast of the Maple and Walnut. Only thing I can see to work on is the details of the collar. Maybe shorten it a tad and blend the curve some. Can't wait to see this one finished!:cool:

Dick Parr
01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
That is beautiful Ernie. Great job.

Bill Stevener
01-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Great turning Ernie. Travis has noted the only slight adjustment that will amplify its beauty.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
That's an awesome piece of Walnut Ernie! I think the shape and form looks great. I like the contrast of the Maple and Walnut. Only thing I can see to work on is the details of the collar. Maybe shorten it a tad and blend the curve some. Can't wait to see this one finished!:cool:

Travis, I noticed in your drawing where the collar touches the HF, your line cuts back in which I guess would make it look like it is sort of floating. Is that what you are suggesting, or was that a twitch in your finger?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like most of you agree about the collar and I think you're right. I'll go change it.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Ernie - I like it, but I agree with Jim, Travis, and Bill. Smaller collar. The base looks fat, but acknowledge that you'll be remountig the thing to improve it.

Question for you wizards about collars. Never done one, but want to try. What's the trick? Parallel grain? Yellow glue?

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Ernie that is one nice bowl. Love the maple collar. The grain seems to dance.

Travis Stinson
01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Ernie, the cursor was kinda tough to control;) . I tried to show a little transition, either squared off or rounded under.......whatever looks best to you.:cool:

Bill Stevener
01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Ernie - I like it, but I agree with Jim, Travis, and Bill. Smaller collar. The base looks fat, but acknowledge that you'll be remountig the thing to improve it.

Question for you wizards about collars. Never done one, but want to try. What's the trick? Parallel grain? Yellow glue?

Andy, far from being a wizard on collars, I like to use a wood that doesn't exhibit any grain and allow the body of the turning to take center stage, which allows the collar to complement the same. Just how I do???
Leave a seat and glue the collar blank on. Again, just how I do???

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I like to use a wood that doesn't exhibit any grain and allow the body of the turning to take center stage, which allows the collar to complement the same.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

I didn't think about that Bill. I probably should have used some plain hard maple I have around here.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Michael Stafford
01-08-2006, 7:27 AM
I have no experience turning hollow forms so I cannot advise on technical aspects. This is a wonderful form and finish IMHO Ernie. My only suggestion might be to make the collar out of a much darker wood, i.e. ebony or blackwood. There is something about a finely polished piece of ebony or blackwood that just makes it perfect for fine turnings; sorta like putting on a black tie with tails. This is a fine turning and needs that black tie.

Chris Barton
01-08-2006, 8:57 AM
Ernie,

the only thing wrong with it is that it's not on my coffee table...

Ernie Nyvall
01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Okay, I cut the collar down some, but I was also wondering about what you said Mike about a black collar. Unfortunately, I can't just pop this collar out and compare. I didn't glue it, but when it popped in... it's there to stay unless I cut it out.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
01-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Yup. Better. Much Better!

Must be that baby poop color works for you.

Bill Stevener
01-08-2006, 11:27 AM
The turning looks 100 & 10% nicer. Just the right touch to the collar.
The color is in harmony with the the wood in the body. The way it comes through my magic window, a dark collar on that piece would be over powering and throw it out of balance. However, that's only the way I see it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Bingo! Perfect icing to top off that beautiful form.:cool:

Jim Ketron
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Oh yea Ernie!
Just what it needed;)
Great Job!

John Hart
01-08-2006, 2:36 PM
Yep...Travis has a great eye....And you have a wonderful Hollowform. Just beautiful!!!

Robert Mickley
01-08-2006, 4:52 PM
The only thing I see wrong with it, it isn't on my coffee table :)

Keith Burns
01-08-2006, 4:58 PM
Great HF Ernie. You got it goin' on for sure:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
01-08-2006, 6:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the help. In about a week I'll buff the Watco that I put on today.

I actually got a couple more items dropped in the alcohol today too.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
01-08-2006, 9:51 PM
What makes that really beautiful, at least to me, is the break away from the standard light body, dark collar of so many hollow form vases. Not that they aren't beautiful but that's just a little different combination of woods than you usually see. Just the perfect wood collar to compliment that beautiful figured walnut.