PDA

View Full Version : How to move a 150lb bench top drill press

Jim Barstow
03-15-2021, 5:36 PM
I’m giving my Jet benchtop drill press (about $800 new) to my son-in-law but he is paying for shipping across the country ($300). My problem is how to get it from the benchtop, into the back of my car, and down to where the shipper will pick it up. It’s “only” 150 lbs but getting help would be problematic (we’re very remote) and it’s really awkward to pick up anyway.

I’ve thought about getting a lift table but the benchtop is 32” high so I’d have to pay over $450 and the lift table weighs more than the drill press. Thought about an engine crane but that doesn’t help to get it in the back of the car since the lift gate gets in the way of the boom.

Any creative solutions that don’t cost more than the tool?

Wes Grass
03-15-2021, 5:42 PM
Can you pull the head off?

Charlie Jones
03-15-2021, 5:43 PM
Can you pull the head and motor or just the motor? Two pieces would be easier to handle.

lowell holmes
03-15-2021, 6:34 PM
Maybe a neighbor can help you load it. I have two different neighbors that would help.

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2021, 6:54 PM
How far is it from the drill press current location to the back of the car? Can you build a bridge from one to the other, and muscle the drill press along the bridge without ever picking it up?

Lee Schierer
03-15-2021, 8:24 PM

Are there any high schools or colleges near by. For the cost of a few pizzas, you can probably get a couple football players or wrestlers to give you some temporary muscle.

Phillip Mitchell
03-15-2021, 8:46 PM
You can get a 500# lift table/cart from Northern Tool for $250 or less, though I don’t know if I would buy one strictly for this. I just bought the 1000# model for my shop and it was $360 with tax and lifts a little higher than the 500#...of course you can always put an auxiliary wood top over the steel top to increase your table top height.

Andrew Seemann
03-15-2021, 9:41 PM
One word: "teenagers". Just tell them you don't think that you can lift it into the back of your car. It will be there in no time. A couple of $20s will aid in any motivation if necessary. Just keep an eye on them, they are not very bright in terms of what is and is not dangerous.

Actually any group of guys under about 40 will do. Just keep an eye on them, they really don't get much brighter with age, especially if their wives and girlfriends aren't around.

In case you are wondering, by about 40, guys figure this out, and have guys under 40 lift things for them:)

Jim Matthews
03-15-2021, 9:48 PM

If it's in the basement, strap it to a 3/4" plywood board and slide it off the table - heavy end first.
I like PVC pipe for rollers, once its down to ground level.

If you have far to go, a hand dolly would be my preferred implement although a wheelbarrow might serve. In any of these cases, strapping The Beast to a sturdy board will give you some measure of control.

Mike Wilkins
03-15-2021, 10:19 PM
Like others have stated, teenagers. When we moved I asked my high school daughter to enlist some of her football playing classmates to assist in moving the heavy stuff. They made it look like lifting a feather.
Drill press; if you can detach the head and/or the motor it would be a big help.

Richard Coers
03-15-2021, 10:26 PM
Rent a platform lift 2 wheel dolley. https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-Hydraulic-Platform-Lift-Truck-Foot-Pump.html

Zachary Hoyt
03-15-2021, 10:28 PM
150 pounds is not heavy for someone who is used to it from their place of work, if you can find such a person they can just pick it up and carry it away. I used to load 160 pound engine blocks and 140 pound wheel weights from Farmall H tractors into pickup trucks often or even into car trunks on occasion. The drill press is not as heavy as two 80 pound bags of concrete mix, and easier to grab and walk away with since it's stiff and not prone to being punctured. I'm 35 now, maybe soon I'll become smart and stop carrying heavy things.

Mike Stelts
03-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Jim, I'm assuming the key point is that you're "very remote", with no help nearby. I would use one of the AV carts I bought at school auctions. Assuming you haven't, it wouldn't take long to build something similar out of 2x4s on wheels. Lay the drill onto the cart and roll it to the pickup.

Alternatively, it's an excuse to get your to get your daughter and son-in-law to visit.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2021, 11:55 PM
Or get one of those Harbor Freight engine lifts. I used one to put a Supermax 25/50 on its stand and no problems.

Once you lift it, you can roll the lift around to wherever you want.

After I used mine, I listed it on Craigslist and sold it for slightly less than I paid for it.

Mike

Gordon Dale
03-16-2021, 4:35 PM
I had the same problem; I assembled mine on a non-mobile stand and then decided it was placed exactly where I didn't want it. I had to remove the head to lighten the load. Still pretty heavy though. Fortunately my wife is always willing to help. I also thought about buying a HF lift table (which I may still do) but I couldn't figure out how to get it home because, as you have already pointed out, it weighs more than the drill press.

Andrew Seemann
03-16-2021, 5:13 PM
If absolutely no help is available, then removing the motor, then the head, and then the column will make everything relatively easy to move.

Austin Grote
03-16-2021, 7:36 PM
This is a lot of trouble for a tool that is barely worth the price of shipping...

Sell the drill press locally and send the money to your son.

Bruce Wrenn
03-16-2021, 9:24 PM
Disassemble it into pieces, then crate it up. You may have to pack in two crates to limit the weight per crate (Usuall around 75#.). Either take it to the bus station, or local Fastenal. Both buses and Fastenal do freight to closest location. Way cheaper than a freight company.

Dan Gaylin
03-17-2021, 10:54 AM
An easy, cheap solution is to buy a $20 block and tackle on Amazon, and some extra rope, and use some 2x4's or 4x4's and some heavy gauge bolts or screws to build a hoist point (or if your rafters are exposed just screw a sturdy hook into that). With 150 lbs, 2x4's, sturdily connected will be fine. Double up the cross piece. I have done this several times with no problem. For example, when I had to mount my bandsaw on its base, that was a ~250 lb lift that I was not able to do myself. PM me if you want any tips.