PDA

View Full Version : Converting a regrigerator

brad hays
03-15-2021, 3:18 AM
I'd like to convert a regular sized refrigerator by cutting out the divide between the freezer and fridge compartments so that the whole thing maintains the same temp. Additionally, I'd I'd like to modify it so that it maintains between 50-60 deg F. Only problem is I don't know enough about how fridges work to know if it's possible. Anyone have advice on getting something like this done?

William Hodge
03-15-2021, 6:24 AM
13 second Video show creation of freezer fridge space opening up, kind of like making a "Great Room" in your fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McgtLUO0IBE

Bruce Lowekamp
03-15-2021, 11:52 AM
The temperature control is easy, just search amazon for digital thermostat outlet and you'll find the right thing. I use one by Inkbird for my beer fridge. Just set the fridge thermostat as low as it goes and let the controller turn it on/off. Only downside is the light won't come on, though the temperature probe will kick on within a few seconds after you open it if you really need to find something.

I've never attacked a fridge like that, but https://www.hometips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/refrigerator-diagram.gif seems to indicate there are coils in between the two compartments. I think I'd try setting the freezer temperature to max and the fridge temperature to min and see what happens with the temperature controller.

Bruce

Charlie Velasquez
03-15-2021, 2:21 PM
Sounds like similar to my winter liquid storage for my unheated shed.
A non working upright freezer for free from craigslist
removed compressor and other stuff
drilled hole for extension cord
plugged in a thermocube at the bottom
a pad type engine oil pan heater attached to an aluminum cookie sheet, plugged into the thermocube and set at the top
filled with my nonflammable liquids: glues, latex finishes, soaps, bug spray, etc., (flammable stuff in a metal lockbox outside my shed, but they tend not to be affected by subzero temps)
added gallon jugs of water for ballast
thermocube goes on at 38° off at about 45°, but it is about 5° warmer at the top. Keeps everything from freezing through the winter.

But as Bruce said, they sell outlet thermometers if temp is critical. Also terrarium heaters have thermostats integrated, but I had the thermocube and oil pan heater.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2021, 3:34 PM
Additionally, I'd I'd like to modify it so that it maintains between 50-60 deg F.

seems to indicate there are coils in between the two compartments.

You might check mycologist and botany sites. Sometimes they convert refrigerators for growing fungi or other cultures.

jtk

Doug Garson
03-15-2021, 4:16 PM
Assume you are converting an existing fridge since you can buy freezerless fridges, maybe post what make/model and maybe a picture.

Myk Rian
03-15-2021, 4:28 PM
I would think it would be easier to build an armoire and cool it with a small AC unit.

Thomas McCurnin
03-15-2021, 6:41 PM
You do know that they make full size refrigerators without a freezer, yes? They are often found used in commercial restaurant equipment resellers. I have one for our basement, which I got for $200 delivered.