PDA

View Full Version : Couple Small Scroll Saw Boxes

Corey Hallagan
01-07-2006, 9:21 PM
Just a couple little scroll saw boxes I made today. Nothing special, just something to do in the shop today that wasn't to big. Was hoping to get several of these done for Christmas but never did. Now I have gifts for next year. I want to make a couple more with some inlay in them.

Thanks,
Corey

Vaughn McMillan
01-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Neat looking boxes, Corey. What kind of woods, and what finish?

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks Vaughn, it is a mix of red oak and walnut. I is just a wipe on poly mix, Poly, Mineral Spirits, BLO and salt and pepper to taste :)
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey Corey those are some nice looking boxes. Great work. Can't wait to see the ones with inlay in them.

Roy Wall
01-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Corey,

That's a nice day's work! I like em!! Those "flared tops" are neat!!

Corey Hallagan
01-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Corey

David Fried
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Corey,

Nice looking boxes! Scroll saw huh?!? :rolleyes:

I take it these are similar in construction to bandsaw boxs except you can drill a hole in the inside and feed the blade through to avoid cutting in from the outside like a bandsaw box. Is that close?

Thanks.

Dave Fried

scott spencer
01-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Nice work Corey. Did that round one teach you any new words? ;)

Corey Hallagan
01-08-2006, 8:12 PM
Thanks David and Scott. Actually Scott, the oval one was much easier to cut, a straight line is harder to make on a scroll saw then a straight one.
David, don't know anything about bandsaw boxes but here is the process for these. For the body of the box you either need 1 1/2 inch stock or glue up 2 pieces of 3/4 inch. Drill a hole and thread the blade and saw out the inside wall of the box. Then you glue this to a piece of 1/4 inch stock of your choice. Then you cut out the outside profile of the box, this time thru the 1 1/2 section plus the newly added 1/4 base. You end up with a very thin walled box with a base on it. The walls are only like 1/8 inch thick. Same process with the top only you use 2 pieces of 1/4 material.
Thanks,
Corey

Richard Wolf
01-08-2006, 8:50 PM
Nice work, Corey.

Richard