PDA

View Full Version : Jatoba

Wally Wenzel
03-13-2021, 10:07 PM
I ran across a couple pieces of Jatoba 2x2x24 inches. They were a nice red color but when i riped them they were much lighter color maybe a very light color. Having never had any of this wood before what can i expect to happen when exposed to the air? Will it darken to deep red like when i first saw it?
Wally

Gustav Gabor
03-13-2021, 10:21 PM
Yes, but it may take quite a while to get there depending on the amount of sunlight it will be exposed to. Certain finishes, such as a good oil or lacquer finish can also help deepen the color.

John K Jordan
03-14-2021, 12:26 AM
Yes, but it may take quite a while to get there depending on the amount of sunlight it will be exposed to. Certain finishes, such as a good oil or lacquer finish can also help deepen the color.

I agree, it will darken and the color will usually get richer with age. I use oil finish. A UV limiting finish might delay the color change.

I never use stains, but some people apply them to finished pieces to get the color they want. I know people who paint red on box elder to preserve the color that ALWAYS fades.
Here's an interesting article about wood and color: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/preventing-color-changes-in-exotic-woods/

BTW, most wood darkens with time. I read once that in 100 years it will all be black! (some won't, but perhaps in general - I'll check back here in 100 years...)

Tim Elett
03-14-2021, 7:42 AM
Thanks for the tip on color would be nice to have a sticky on this article.

John K Jordan
03-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tip on color would be nice to have a sticky on this article.

I keep the Wood Database on “speed dial” 🤓 There is so much useful information there of interest to all of is. I bought their book too, useful if the internet is not handy.